When the QB isnt a threat to run | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

When the QB isnt a threat to run

TD isnt a runner. He is a pure pocket passer. Maryland hasn't had worry about him running at all. This allows an extra body for anything Locks desires. Pressure coverage ECT. Eric demanded a spy, Eric bought time for his wrs to get open and most importantly Eric had tons of experience.
I have confidence that TD is going to end up being an exceptional QB. My guess is he hits his stride the second half of the season. Im still bullish on
8-4 with a great finish. The kids a leader and a competitor. He just needs game snaps.
Last point Maryland is legit and if they stay healthy they are going to be a very tough out.
Go Orange!
remember the fat pirate. you don't need your qb running around.

That’s what I worry about. It’s common sense. It’s 4th down. Of all the corrective things, this should not to be needed on the list...signal of lack of game feel.
i don't know that it was selfish stat stuff, could just be a crude rule of thumb don't risk INTs but those bugged me a little (not that much though)

Hope you’re right.

My concern is that Dungey may have covered OL deficiencies.

He did, and that brought out his off deficiencies, but Babers Ball leans to what Tommy does not Eric.

You need talent, decision making and accuracy to sit back and be a pocket passer in modern day college football.

As of right now, we are 0/3.

Maryland’s OL was better. Skill positions better. QB better.

And he did run a time or two on a keeper. He just didn’t need to.

I didn’t see where Jackson was any better than Tommy.

For a guy that doesn't run, Devito gave up on a lot of plays early to tuck it. People have already mentioned the throwaways. Pressure was heavy but there was panic there too.
I did not see “tuck it” — more like escaping pressure (usually over or around our L-OT) to roll right, trying to buy time and find a receiver. But it rarely worked out, and he ended up throwing the ball away.
With experience, he might cut down on sacks, reduce the throwaways, and make defenses respect the possibility that he might actually roll out and look to run.

I didn’t see where Jackson was any better than Tommy.
Sorry, but Jackson was much better in the first,half — when MD put the game out of reach.

Many good points in here. You probably don’t need a running quarterback but you need to keep the chains moving and sometimes that means your quarterback needs to take what is available, ie a 5 yard run especially when you keep running rpo.

Many good points in here. You probably don’t need a running quarterback but you need to keep the chains moving and sometimes that means your quarterback needs to take what is available, ie a 5 yard run especially when you keep running rpo.

But you need a running QB when you don’t have much of a rushing attack. I’m not sure if it’s primarily the fault of our offensive line, but our backs are clearly average. It makes us very one dimensional.

Syracuse has enjoyed its greatest success with dual threat QBs. I’m not saying DeVito can’t be successful, but it’s something to keep in mind.

No doubt, and, IMO, can not be understated. I believe that it helped capture/maximized those aforementioned successes as much as it potentially could've. Even in those years, SU wasn't reeling in a significant amount of 4 star, etc. type recruits. It masked its deficiencies well, along with that freeze option system that caught many defenses off guard. I guess one could say a form of "trickery" no different than Dino's attempted high pace style/system.

However, as others have alluded, with many teams today also playing that similar up tempo style, etc., teams are overall generally better prepared for it. With that being said, unless we get that uptick in talent (rankings) most have been hoping for, I think we'll struggle against future opponents, especially ones that appear to have superior talent, as seemingly was the case yesterday.

Devito has done well buying time for himself. He just hasn't tucked it and picked up 5 yards when thats clearly been the best choice and has made some bad decisions outside of the pocket. But I'm not sure we are in a better place if he had taken some big hits first couple weeks. If Im Dino I tell him don't run until after the Holy Cross game because we can't lose you early. The last 7 ACC games I design runs for him like we did with Dungey and ask him to pick up a couple first downs a game with his legs.