Where does the SU student section rank in the ACC? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Where does the SU student section rank in the ACC?

There's a big divide between the kids who are diehard fans and get there hours ahead of time and camp out, and the ones who stroll in a few minutes before the game and are there just because that's what's going on that day (with some exceptions, I knew some great fans who just liked watching the game from higher up). It's easy to mobilize the kids in the blue seats and bottom bleachers, but it's hard to make that translate to the upper deck. One of the disadvantages of having one of the country's largest student sections (when full), which SU definitely has. At Duke they have a fraction of the kids, but they're all diehards, and they're on top of the court. Easier to make things happen with that sized group.

Czar said:
One chant that I've always felt Syracuse should co-opt from USA soccer supporters/Wu-Tang Cheer Leader: "We bring the noise, we bring the ruckus." Crowd: "Syracuse ain't nothing to F**k with!"

And give the geriatric crowd 700 heart attacks at once? Better have every ambulance available outside for the old folks attending games.

And give the geriatric crowd 700 heart attacks at once? Better have every ambulance available outside for the old folks attending games.

Kills two birds with one stone, afterwards fans can stand and no one would bitch at them.

Czar said:
Kills two birds with one stone, afterwards fans can stand and no one would bitch at them.

It's bad to laugh at this but I couldn't help it. Lol

two3zone said:

Is there a problem with older folks attending? In guessing they're the deeper pickets.

rrlbees said:
Is there a problem with older folks attending? In guessing they're the deeper pickets.

No, don't have a problem at all, but yes, their deep pockets take away from students from being close to the court hence season ticket holders being pissed if we went to a different setup to where the students were around the court.

Seeing the ACC student sections during our past road trip has been amazing. They bring so much energy and so much excitement to the game. The Duke students and the Maryland students reminded me what this game is all about, it's about the players, students and universities not deep pockets. Unfortunately we don't see it that way.

two3zone said:
No, don't have a problem at all, but yes, their deep pockets take away from students from being close to the court hence season ticket holders being pissed if we went to a different setup to where the students were around the court. Seeing the ACC student sections during our past road trip has been amazing. They bring so much energy and so much excitement to the game. The Duke students and the Maryland students reminded me what this game is all about, it's about the players, students and universities not deep pockets. Unfortunately we don't see it that way.

The students should have thought about that years ago when they were moved because most games their sections were 1/2 Emory and it was quite embarrassing when there were shots in TV.

So making those seats available to donors was the better option. Now you can't just move people because students want side court sections. Won't ever happen until we move to a new arena/stadium, if then.

rrlbees said:
The students should have thought about that years ago when they were moved because most games their sections were 1/2 Emory and it was quite embarrassing when there were shots in TV. So making those seats available to donors was the better option. Now you can't just move people because students want side court sections. Won't ever happen until we move to a new arena/stadium, if then.

I know it won't happen, but it's a shame.

ok
so, let's not forget the 70s-80s chant during player introductions.

Who's He?
So What?
Big Deal?
Who Cares?
!
(big S***)
Sitrus still does these, by the way.

Also, I always get a kick when I can hear "You Still Suck... BALLS" after opposing made free throws on the TV broadcasts. I think it started with a few members of otto's army while I was at SU (08-12), and I always chuckle when I hear it, mainly because I know what I'm hearing when I listen for it.

Last edited:
No, don't have a problem at all, but yes, their deep pockets take away from students from being close to the court hence season ticket holders being pissed if we went to a different setup to where the students were around the court.

Seeing the ACC student sections during our past road trip has been amazing. They bring so much energy and so much excitement to the game. The Duke students and the Maryland students reminded me what this game is all about, it's about the players, students and universities not deep pockets. Unfortunately we don't see it that way.
Would the university give up the various donation level amounts that would be vacuumed up by tossing the donors from those seats around the court and turning them over to students?

How much money do you think would be involved?

I'd like to see the $$$ take chart of all the ACC schools for basketball.

I would think SU is on top by a huge margin.

There's a big divide between the kids who are diehard fans and get there hours ahead of time and camp out, and the ones who stroll in a few minutes before the game and are there just because that's what's going on that day (with some exceptions, I knew some great fans who just liked watching the game from higher up). It's easy to mobilize the kids in the blue seats and bottom bleachers, but it's hard to make that translate to the upper deck. One of the disadvantages of having one of the country's largest student sections (when full), which SU definitely has. At Duke they have a fraction of the kids, but they're all diehards, and they're on top of the court. Easier to make things happen with that sized group.

Consider me the exception. With the exception of very few games [Georgetown to get the NIKE jacket comes to mind], I had no problem with just strolling in close to gametime, and I am a diehard. In my opinion, sitting further up >>> blue seats. But then again, I like to watch the entire play develop. With regards to chants, I'll be honest, I was never over exuberant with them. I got loud when we needed to get loud but overall, I kept my focus on what was happening on the court.

Some comments in this thread about student apathy (seats not filled, etc). Unfortunately, this is hardly unique to Cuse. Nick Saban moaned a lot this past year about Alabama students not filling all their seats for FB games. JoePa used to bitch about PSU students staying out in the parking lot drinking until after the game started and not being in their seats until the end of the first quarter. Someone told me that there was a thread about this subject on the Maryland board and one of the student posters actually said that putting a bigger cell tower to better cover the student section for FB games might get more kids to come to the games, so that they could all be assured of being able to get to Twitter, etc. Saw some other articles about kids today not caring about cars and sports overall as much as their parents. New age, folks.