Where is Ron Patterson this summer? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Where is Ron Patterson this summer?

When I first did my player calculus I came up with this result also. But I was thinking generally JB doesn't play freshmen over upper classmen. Last year Cooney was more experienced than Patterson. But this year Patterson as a Sophomore I think has a chance to beat out Cooney for playing time.
Don't bet too much money on that! :crazy:

How about something from A Clockwork Orange. . . you can have your orange and still make a statement about the police state.

:bat:--VBOF

That's how I feel!

No way RP plays more than TC, he'll be lucky to be player #8.

If he was a 1 and not a 2 it would've been so much better for him and the team, this year and last.

I want to agree with you but TC was pretty awful after the ND game.

So a Junior Cooney won't be better than a Sophomore Cooney? Hes our returning leading scorer, and most likely our leading scorer next year. Even if he doesn't play as well as expected by the coaches, patterson isn't the next guy to get a shot. I'm about 80 percent certain JB is going to view Cooney as the "main guy" at the beginning of next year. This has turned into Andy Rautins 2.0.

There is no question that when Trevor is hot that he opens things up for the entire O. However, Trevor's game last season was much too one dimensional. He absolutely failed at finding a way to contribute to the O when his trey shot was off. Trevor will get first dibs at PT, but Jimmy needs to shorten that leash & if Trevor can't improve himself to drive & finish or make some deuce J's to get himself going then there should be opportunities for others including Buss. Not to mention that Trevor brings very little to the table in terms of passing, handling, or rebounding. I also think Buss showed very high energy in his cameos. Jimmy needs to find a place for that energy, especially on a team that often looked lethargic last season. Teams just can't go all out for 40 minutes every game - Buss could and maybe should be the pick em up guy when the overall team energy wanes.

Cooney was horrible once conference play started. Hope he can put the ball on the floor and drive to the hoop this year. Buss can do that and score Why is so hard to believe that Buss will improve?

So a Junior Cooney won't be better than a Sophomore Cooney? Hes our returning leading scorer, and most likely our leading scorer next year. Even if he doesn't play as well as expected by the coaches, patterson isn't the next guy to get a shot. I'm about 80 percent certain JB is going to view Cooney as the "main guy" at the beginning of next year. This has turned into Andy Rautins 2.0.

Last edited:
Cooney was horrible once conference play started. Hope he can put the ball on the floor and drive to the hoop this year. Buss can do that and score Why is so hard to believe that Buss will improve?

Little bit of Hyperbole in that post. Horrible? I'd say average. The first 10 games or so he hit big shots when needed. I didn't say Buss won't improve, but the people ahead of him (G and Cooney) should improve to. Theres very little to almost no precedent of a returning leading scorer getting put to the bench by JB for someone who was behind him on the depth chart. I get it, people want to blame cooney for us stinking at the end of the year. People need to take a step back. When figuring out our depth chart, I find it best to look at history and try to think like JB. He trusts his veterans, and there is a long history of our embattled veterans improving year over year. (Rautins, Slick Rick, Southerland, arinze, Nichols)

Also, If Trevor doesn't produce for us this year, I can guarantee it will be a lot longer season than any of us thought next year. We need him and Christmas to produce. They are the returning veterans with expierience against high competition. I don't dislike Buss, but it's not hard to figure out hes either fourth or fifth in the guard rotation right now (Not sure if BJ is a forward or a 2). He needs to do something special to see the court.

Keep sleeping on BUSS the kid can ball and he will be ready
Not sleeping. Kid is all hustle and heart. As an offensive player he showed little last year, albeit in limited minutes. Less than 40% from the floor, 32% from 3.
Could he improve? Sure, but to me his form didn't give me hope he would improve much, if at all. Hope I am wrong.

Stick to calculus, Dave.

So you think Patterson is a wasted scholarship? If he can't beat out TC what's he doing here? Where is he going to get the PT from, the 1 spot? I don't think TC performances after the ND game guarantee him PT. If Patterson is hitting threes and playing well I just can't imagine JB not playing him at the 2 spot. I don't care really who they put at the 2 spot as long as the shooting percentage is better than 10%.

Little bit of Hyperbole in that post. Horrible? I'd say average. The first 10 games or so he hit big shots when needed.

Cooney shot 23 percent from 3 the last 10 games of the season 16 for 69. I wouldn't call that average. No Hate but something was up as we know he is capable of a MUCH better performance. As a 2nd year freshmen Cooney shot only 28 for 105 from three 26%, by comparison ron shot 6-19 as a true freshmen from outside.

Alot of people say yes that this player will break out as a sophmore. People did it with Jerami Grant last year and I wasn't seeing it. I wouldn't put my eggs in a basket that says bj and roberson will be ready to create points for us yet. They were a ways off last year. They have to earn it first. We will have to wait and see.But I tell you what by the time they hit their senior year with a sophmojre lydon and Malachi, or their jr year if mcCullough decides to stay 2 then its going to look Real scary on paper.

Its always tough to see guys like jerami grant, mcw, and tyler ennis, dion waiters jump as early as they did, they were just beginning to become true go to guys. Sophmore flynn had more greenlight as a go to guy then they did imo, but imo mike and dion weren't to far behind. With grant being a forward although a sophmore, and ennis being a freshmen I think that had quite a bit to do with some of our late struggles.

IMO its hard to imagine Cooney breaking out and all of a sudden shooting well under pressure and off the dribble. Sure that happened with Rautins but its a pretty rare occurance.

Last edited:
Cooney shot 23 percent from 3 the last 10 games of the season 16 for 69. I wouldn't call that average. No Hate but something was up as we know he is capable of a MUCH better performance.

I agree he was horrible the last 10. I was referring to the OP who said he was horrible the entire season...anyway apples to oranges...all im saying i don't see how number 5 on the guard depth chart replaces number 1. I stick to the point that if Cooney doesn't have a good season, we are in trouble.

So you think Patterson is a wasted scholarship? If he can't beat out TC what's he doing here? Where is he going to get the PT from, the 1 spot? I don't think TC performances after the ND game guarantee him PT. If Patterson is hitting threes and playing well I just can't imagine JB not playing him at the 2 spot. I don't care really who they put at the 2 spot as long as the shooting percentage is better than 10%.

Man you are the Dana O'neil of posters... Just because something is a popular talking point, doesn't mean it's right.

He was 8-21 total from three the three games after Notre Dame. If that's horrible, you have some mighty high expectations.

I do not think Patterson will get much run this season. I think we go 8 and the bench is Gbinije - G, BJ - F, Chino - C.

That said... if Cooney goes ice cold again I would not mind seeing a dice roll on Buss.

I do not think Patterson will get much run this season. I think we go 8 and the bench is Gbinije - G, BJ - F, Chino - C.

That said... if Cooney goes ice cold again I would not mind seeing a dice roll on Buss.
Just about sums it up for me as well. If we have 9 not counting DC2, Buss seems to be the 9th man. If Cooney struggles AND Patterson show signs defensively, there is a chance for minutes. But I'm just not sure. There is also the outside possibility we do play 9 this year since we don't have many veterans that can or should play 40 minutes.
Again, all speculation as there are a decent amount of ifs in my ramble.

Pretty sure he was on campus just like the rest of the team for most of the summer.

Buss will get his turn. He's a hard worker and his importance from last year is directly related to the success of the three top guards (can you imagine playing against that wingspan daily - you're only gonna get better) from last season. Buss is a father - he may stay DESPITE not getting playing time (which I believe he will get plenty of over the next few seasons) for the premium education that will allow him to take care of his family.

Gotta believe in the Buss!

all the guards need to be able to attack the rim off the dribble. It will be a key part of Cooney's game if he is to take that next step. I think we need our guards to be aggressive and score and JB would seem to have several options this year to make that happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think we are pretty much saying the same thing. I don't think RP should start over TC. And there's no way JB is not going to start TC. But after the ND game last season, TC was non-existent for whatever reason on offense. If that happens again RP has to be a better player after one year sitting on the bench and practicing 2-3 zone for a season. At that point, if RP gets his chance and consistently scores 8 to 12 points per game I think he will see more playing time. It may actually work out better for TC. TC was amazing last year with the amount of energy he would expend to get open. Maybe more time resting on the bench will translate into more points for him since he will have fresher legs for getting into a clean shooting position.

No way in heck we go deeper than 7 this year (in the ACC). Okay that being said, I admit haven't even thought about the roster since we lost in the NCAA's. Just going by the modus operandi up on the hill for the last 30 years or so.