Where is this week's Ellison thread? | Syracusefan.com

Where is this week's Ellison thread?

texascpa

Living Legend
Just rewatched the game this morning. My God, was he all over the field. Best run support safety in some time. And does a pretty good job in pass coverage, as well. Yes, he did have one major blunder in getting sucked into the middle on Towles TD run, but how many times did you see him flying up and making a hit close to the line of scrimmage. And that wallop he put on Jones (or whoever the running back was) that bent him over backwards!

One of the big needs in the T2 defense is a hard-hitting run stuffing safety. Three big keys... inside linemen that can push back the Oline, ML that can cover the middle of the field, and safety that likes to light people up... think the original... 2 HOFers, Sapp on the interior Dline, Brooks at ML, and 2 more potentials HOFers, John Lynch at safety and Ronde Barber at corner. Lynch and Sanders were a lot alike, but Lynch was healthy. Ellison hits like Lynch and Sanders did.

Ellison is awesome, wish he played more last season. I question how he will be utilized when we bring in larger safeties to play the Tampa 2. He played corner in high school. It'll be interesting to see his role. Gotta get him in on the field and I'm not talking just on specials.

Once Ellison learns how not to bite on play fakes he is going to be an incredible player. All safeties do but the great ones recognize them more frequently.

He hits like Bob Sanders used to. You see a small guy like that and then he absolutely lights up a bigger running back or receiver. I love watching him play. The continued improvement and growth of he and Rodney Williams as a duo is a welcome surprise after losing Cordy.

Lets hope he doesn't get injured unlike Sanders.

You guys should re-watch BC's last possession before the half. Ellison was all over the place

-He drilled Jones just beyond the LOS. Unfortunately the hit was low and Jones somersaulted forward for 5 yards or so

-Another play he came up and was in good position to stop Jones at the LOS. He made initial contact but wasn't able to tackle him. But he slowed Jones enough to allow Fredrick to get in position and tackle him for only a 2 yard gain

-On 2 plays Towles tried throwing to his tight end on a seam route. On both of them Ellison nailed the tight end right after the ball hit his hands and broke up the play.

-Ellison was the one blitzing and putting pressure on Towles which forced a horrible throw that Bradshaw should have intercepted

-On 3rd and 10 they ran a draw with Rouse. One of the linebackers missed the tackle and Rodney Williams tried dragging him down until Ellison came up and absolutely nailed him. Ended up as an 8 yard gain. It was an impressive hit, and it prevented Rouse from falling forward and possibly getting a first down

Ellison is awesome, wish he played more last season. I question how he will be utilized when we bring in larger safeties to play the Tampa 2. He played corner in high school. It'll be interesting to see his role. Gotta get him in on the field and I'm not talking just on specials.

You correctly called this early on after seeing Ellison play in high school -- kid is a tremendous playmaker. Some kids just play, others make a special impact during games--and whatever "it" is, Ellison seems to have "it."

If he were 5-11, he'd be in the SEC.

Last edited:
He has changed the defense with his ability to provide a physical presence and get people on the ground. Defensive MVP.

This was probably posted in the OE Daily Articles but I didn't want it to be missed. I really enjoy these Z:60 features & the insight the provided on our players as people.

Daivon's answer to the 1st question about why he hits so hard is exactly why he's become a fan favorite.

Kid had a great season.
He did. I think he played really banged up towards the end. It was a shame so had so little depth that a lot of our best players had to play too much this year.

We aren't going to fully address depth for a couple of years but the difference in depth from this season to next season should be marked and should help our performance a lot in the second half of the season.