Which team would you most like to see join the ACC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Which team would you most like to see join the ACC

Which would fit best/prosper in the ACC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
None of them do squat for FB but I'm already missing the SU/UCONN BB games. It's the only reason to bring them in. When it looked like their BB program was imploding they pulled off a NC. Makes the ACC the #1 BB conference as well. I know FB drives the bus but none of those 4 FB programs are driving anything. UCONN for BB and it's an ACC civil war, North vs South, Pitt, SU, UCONN vs Tobacco road confederates. I think it would be awesome.

Not so long ago Cincinnati was nearly in BCS title games. But yes I do miss beating Uconn repetitively in basketball. Feels much better embarrassing UNC though if I do say so myself.

"If forced at the gun point": I'd go for UCONN. Football is only adequate at best, but I too miss the basketball games and I'd like to keep the B1G out of New England. Of course, most people don't give UCONN Much of a chance to join Delany's crew but the Boneyard denizens are convinced they are destined for the B1G time. Come to think of it, that is another reason for the ACC to take Storz -- it'll piss off the Boneyard Bozos.

ACC expansion is only going to happen if 1. Norte Dame commits to being a full member 2. The Big XII gets carved up by the SEC, Big Ten, PAC-12 and WVU is available or 3. Doomsday another ACC school leaves and then the conference will become FUBAR.

I am going to throwout option 3 because I think it's unlikely. If ND ever wanted to go from 5 to 8 getting Navy as 16th makes a ton of sense as that 5 would really become 6 and ND would only being adding 2 more ACC games and have room for 2 more non-conference games with USC and Stanford.

Navy could compete in ACC football and keep its other sports in the Patriot League and have an agreement to play some ACC teams in those sports. Then in the FOX vs. ESPN war you get either Georgetown or Villanova as the 16th basketball and other sports member. You get a major city Philly or Washington D.C. and strike a blow to Fox for ESPN.

If ND doesn't want to commit you stand pat till they are ready.

"If forced at the gun point": I'd go for UCONN. Football is only adequate at best, but I too miss the basketball games and I'd like to keep the B1G out of New England. Of course, most people don't give UCONN Much of a chance to join Delany's crew but the Boneyard denizens are convinced they are destined for the B1G time. Come to think of it, that is another reason for the ACC to take Storz -- it'll piss off the Boneyard Bozos.

Isn't there an ACC - Big Ten challenge in basketball? Or was that Big East

Thankfully, we're not going to be forced at gunpoint.

Go big or go home (and by go home, I mean stay where you are).

Is there a timeline on the NCAA ruling regarding conference championship games? Are they really looking at it?

Temple. Their basketball program would be huge in the ACC , football could anchor recruiting for the conference from DC to NYC. Lots of upside potential with 25 million more in their athletic budget .
There's no upside for Temple if they continue to play games at the LFF in front of 5k. Both basketball and football suck, FSU and Clemson would leave if they were accepted, and there would be no difference in recruiting whatsoever. This would be a worse TV grab than the B1G bringing in Rutgers, and would have no impact whatsoever.

Take the Philly market by forcing a merger among the two contending universities, thus solving the stadium issue and doubling the fanbase for either school. I give you...

The Templenova Owlcats

Cat-owl-Pictures-Strange-Cat-owl-Pics-Google-Chrome_2012-07-06_11-57-18_thumb.png

Hey, it's not much worse than the other choices in the list.

Navy. Gets you back in the MD market, gives you a national following, good academics, gives you the Army/Navy game, natural rival for ND, great history, pretty decent football program on a regular basis, lax too. Massive dropoff in basketball but every conference needs a doormat.

I'd take Cincy second to Navy. New market, respectable football/basketball programs, contiguous to ND and Louisville so still in the conference footprint, improving academics.

ACC already has Miami and FSU - you don't need tier 2 Florida teams in a tier 1 conference. USF or UCF = Horrible Idea

UCONN - does not add anything as far as market goes, Syracuse, Notre Dame and BC already give you that market. Their football is now an afterthought. The give you a class basketball program, both men's and women's, but that's about it.

ACC expansion is only going to happen if 1. Norte Dame commits to being a full member 2. The Big XII gets carved up by the SEC, Big Ten, PAC-12 and WVU is available or 3. Doomsday another ACC school leaves and then the conference will become FUBAR.

I am going to throwout option 3 because I think it's unlikely. If ND ever wanted to go from 5 to 8 getting Navy as 16th makes a ton of sense as that 5 would really become 6 and ND would only being adding 2 more ACC games and have room for 2 more non-conference games with USC and Stanford.

Navy could compete in ACC football and keep its other sports in the Patriot League and have an agreement to play some ACC teams in those sports. Then in the FOX vs. ESPN war you get either Georgetown or Villanova as the 16th basketball and other sports member. You get a major city Philly or Washington D.C. and strike a blow to Fox for ESPN.

If ND doesn't want to commit you stand pat till they are ready.

I think if the choice is Navy, the ACC would need to take the whole Naval Academy athletics department and not just football. Georgetown and Villanova are Catholic Schools in a Catholic School league of similar schools. I don't like the idea of having schools in the ACC in the category of "that school" who only participates in football or "that school" who only participates in basketball. I wouldn't think Georgetown or Villanova would want to be "that school". Navy will be doing it with the American, so I guess it doesn't bother them. They don't seem to be bothered by tough basketball competition either. They just announced a new preseason tournament.
http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/060914aae.html

My bigger concern for Navy would be the new stuff coming from the P5. Would Navy step up to full cost of attendance, letting people get degrees later, etc? Does Navy have enough Athletics money to compete?

The only two schools that make any sense at all for the ACC, athletically and demographically, would be UCONN and West Virginia. But one has the worst BCS program in the country right now and the other joined the B12, so that ship seems to have sailed. Would be nice to get a couple old rivals back in-conference though.

I think if the choice is Navy, the ACC would need to take the whole Naval Academy athletics department and not just football. Georgetown and Villanova are Catholic Schools in a Catholic School league of similar schools. I don't like the idea of having schools in the ACC in the category of "that school" who only participates in football or "that school" who only participates in basketball. I wouldn't think Georgetown or Villanova would want to be "that school". Navy will be doing it with the American, so I guess it doesn't bother them. They don't seem to be bothered by tough basketball competition either. They just announced a new preseason tournament.
http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/060914aae.html

My bigger concern for Navy would be the new stuff coming from the P5. Would Navy step up to full cost of attendance, letting people get degrees later, etc? Does Navy have enough Athletics money to compete?
The reason i suggested the Navy/Gtown combo is that Navy wants to keeps its teams in the Patriot League and is going to play football in the American and they could help get ND. If Navy wanted to join fully that would be fine, but if they didn't then Georgetown or Villanova would jump at an ACC invite in a cocaine heartbeat and that would be an ESPN property taking a top FOX property.

The reason i suggested the Navy/Gtown combo is that Navy wants to keeps its teams in the Patriot League and is going to play football in the American and they could help get ND. If Navy wanted to join fully that would be fine, but if they didn't then Georgetown or Villanova would jump at an ACC invite in a cocaine heartbeat and that would be an ESPN property taking a top FOX property.

This seems like such a Big East calibre move.

This seems like such a Big East calibre move.
Not really though because the ACC would be getting Notre Dame as a full-time member and would command a HUGE increase in its next TV contract and adding Georgetown/Villanova would allow ESPN to say haha you wasted a boatload of money to FOX and its Big East conference by poaching one of their only 2 legit brands. The only reason to add Navy would be as a carrot to get ND which is the golden goose.

If I had to choose one it would be Cincinnati, but I would rather not have to choose any of the four offered.

An end to the NCAA rules on divisions would mean that there is no requirement to add a 16th when ND goes full member in football.

We are not adding anybody until such time as ND makes its final move, and then that addition, if there is one, will be the one that helps ND make that decision.

There is one exception to the above: if a team can add real value to an ACC network by helping us get top dollar in a new TV market or two. And if that team also helps us in our grave need to improve football recruiting (against either the SEC or Big Ten, preferably both), then so much the better.

Navy is far and away the team that would mean the most to ND.

Hartford TV market is piddly in every sense. New England produces no recruits, and we already have a team in New England. New England is the region of the country with the fewest number of college football fans. Adding UConn would be about basketball nearly 100%, and that is the last thing that fans of the Deep South ACC schools are going to suffer quietly.

The Cincinnati TV market produces 5 or 6 times more football recruits than all of CT. OH produces more football talent than all states but FL, TX, CA, and GA. OH therefore produces the most talent, by far, per capita of P5 teams. And that means that OH is the state ripe for another school to be added to a P5 league and be able to help it recruit. And Cincy in the ACC would provide a school located officially in the midwest, making it all the easier four ND to never again play another Big Ten team.

Other than Texas coming aboard in a deal like ND has, those are the only 3 realistic possibilities.

ND and Navy (football only). Don't have to go to 16 for other sports - we don't now.

Either Florida team. I know their resumes are not great but it would make it easy for me to get to the games and it would help in recruiting Florida players.

A lot of people seem to forget that Johns Hopkins is going to be/is a member of the Big 10. As is Chicago University. Why is it that the Big East and now the ACC gets all the crap for doing this? I'm all for GT or Nova if Navy comes for football and it gets ND fulltime. Heck, Nova and Navy gets the ACC into the Maryland and Philly markets. The Big East was unorganized and foolish and I do not have that same impression with the ACC.