Whispers..Stealth...all Good for ACCN | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Whispers..Stealth...all Good for ACCN

Not sure this is true. I guess you would have to define the parameters of "live sports content" and "a long, long time." If you mean football and men's bb games shown on ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU I think the Big East (when it had both sports) would be equal if not superior in amount of content shown on those networks overall, slightly behind in football but likely way ahead in terms of bb games. Keep in mind Disney/ESPN only recently got ACC bb in 2011. Prior to that they were buying games from JP/Raycom. From 2011-12 onward, I would think the ACC probably gained on the Big East in number of bb games shown, but probably did not become the leader in bb games shown on those networks until SU, Pitt, and ND joined the league in 2013-14.

Cheers,
Neil
i get it, the 'honor' and 'we have history with you' way of doing business here in 2015 thats so prevalent, yeah that the ticket to the ACCN.

that and a nickel will net you a nickel.

Last edited:
Not sure this is true. I guess you would have to define the parameters of "live sports content" and "a long, long time." If you mean football and men's bb games shown on ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU I think the Big East (when it had both sports) would be equal if not superior in amount of content shown on those networks overall, slightly behind in football but likely way ahead in terms of bb games. Keep in mind Disney/ESPN only recently got ACC bb in 2011. Prior to that they were buying games from JP/Raycom. From 2011-12 onward, I would think the ACC probably gained on the Big East in number of bb games shown, but probably did not become the leader in bb games shown on those networks until SU, Pitt, and ND joined the league in 2013-14.

Cheers,
Neil

I have to find the articles that specifically stated that in overall content to ESPN that the ACC was #1 in exposure and actual time on the channels. It is not about one specific sport, but the league. The article stated also that the ACC did the right thing in staying with ESPN where the PAC12 took more money for less exposure and it hurt them in the long run. Regardless of who ESPN was getting/buying the games from or through, they were still aired on the network, that's exposure and content coming from the ACC.

It was around the time the contract was being negotiated and conference realignment was going on a few years back.

I have to find the articles that specifically stated that in overall content to ESPN that the ACC was #1 in exposure and actual time on the channels. It is not about one specific sport, but the league. The article stated also that the ACC did the right thing in staying with ESPN where the PAC12 took more money for less exposure and it hurt them in the long run. Regardless of who ESPN was getting/buying the games from or through, they were still aired on the network, that's exposure and content coming from the ACC.

It was around the time the contract was being negotiated and conference realignment was going on a few years back.

Well, I can tell you I went to Matt's site and for the the 2010-11 season, the year prior to the new contract the ACC had 39 total football games, the SEC had 36 (and that is with ESPN not being able to show an SEC game at the 3:30 time slot), and the Big East 25. But in terms of men's bb, the Big East had 78, the ACC 43, and the SEC 42. Doubt we will find women's bb games (but it's hard to imagine that with UConn, ND, and Louisville the Big East didn't have a huge lead in that sport), baseball, soccer, etc, but as of this past bb season, it appeared to me the SEC had way more baseball shown on the ESPN family of networks than the ACC.

Maybe the blurb was simply ACC hype to justify the lower tv contract?

Cheers,
Neil

I hate to be a "Debbie Downer" but ESPN and cable TV are both under stress (these are recent stories not ancient history):

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/espn-tightens-its-belt-as-pressure-on-it-mounts-20150709-01058

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/22/8466845/cable-tv-unbundling-verizon-espn-apple

As a cost-cutting measure I gave up cable recently. The bill was $97 per month for HDTV and it turns out that a one-time cost of less than $40 for a pair of "rabbit ears" and a signal amplifier (not the best indoor antenna combination) will get 25 broadcast TV channels (I live 20 miles from a large city) with CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, and a few others in perfect HD. I had mixed feelings about digital TV but IT IS CLEAR (joke there) that the received signal is superior to the analog TV signals that caused cable (and satellite) TV to have great popularity. More people are leaving than signing up and that is an untenable business model. It is going to bite into the profits of the BTN and SEC (hopefully and inevitably). Now I am a fan of the ACC and its schools (and glad Syracuse and Pitt are in the ACC) and hope there is an ACC ESPN channel in the next few years but if Swofford has the sense it is believed he has, a DIVERSIFIED approach will be necessary. The existing "ACC network" (syndication over a hundred different broadcast channels coast-to-coast with syndication fees and a cut of advertising going to the ACC) should therefore not be (completely) scrapped. The only trouble with this business model is that only football and men's BB are broadcast (maybe some of the ladies BB games too). Anyway, like the old Chinese curse, it looks like we are living in "interesting times".

Arbs, do you have anything for us?

I can entertain you with MHver3, courtesy of the UConn Board...this guy along with Dude and the rest of the realignment insiders IMHO post 5% fact, 45% assumption and 50% total misinformation...I do give this guy a tiny bit more credence than the Dude.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3 1h1 hour ago
Another nail in the B12 coffin? ESPN and ACC set to announce launch of ACC dedicated network ACCN

Network is going to be offered on both cable plans and as a subscription streaming network. Hearing around $10 monthly

ACCN may kick off coverage with a simulcast of UNC/ Duke bball this coming season with special features on AcCN cast of the game

Accn is also securing tons of high school bball and football coverage in conference states and some states outside to bolster demand. Texas

MH ver3‏@MH ver3 53m53 minutes ago
$20 mil per month after 5 years in subs alone. 50% of it straight to ACC. Plus 50% ad revenue and 50% carriage fees.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3 49m49 minutes ago
Expected accn to launch in over 90 million homes.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3 48m48 minutes ago
40 mil per month in carriage fees 5 mil in advertising revenue Do the math for one year

MH ver3‏@MH ver3 28m28 minutes ago
Just spoke to my source. Clarification on high school games. Those are pending a change in NCAA bylaws that are in the works

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire 1h1 hour ago
@MH ver3 Question: who will own this network?...will ESPN have 100% ownership? I'm guessing they would

@flugempire hearing acc will receive 50% of ad revenue for first five years and will get 10% vested each year for first 5 years ownership

@MH ver3 I'm assuming ND & NBC is not part of the deal...correct?

@flugempire not sure on football but other sports will be there.

@flugempire also estimating at least $30 mil in ad revenue im year 1 which i think is rather high but espn is going to add network to cable

Murr‏@MurrDCU 1h1 hour ago
@MH ver3 @flugempire any clue on in state and out carriage fees could be?

@MurrDCU @flugempire hearing a flat fee of $0.45 across the board.

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire 19m19 minutes ago
@hawkeyeND @MH ver3 @Genetics56 But I don't think it's an insurmountable hurdle..especially if Raycom provides infrastructure and gets$

MH ver3‏@MH ver3 19m19 minutes ago
@flugempire @hawkeyeND @Genetics56 my source tested me back that Random is working with ESPN for benefit if vested interstate in acc

MH ver3‏@MH ver3 20m20 minutes ago
@flugempire @hawkeyeND @Genetics56 he is unsure about the small amount of content other networks own

MH ver3‏@MH ver3 14m14 minutes ago
@hawkeyeND and FWIW I hate hate hate the ACC. I want to see them fail. They ruined what I thought was WVUs best home: the old Big East

Hawkeye‏@hawkeyeND 14m14 minutes ago
@MH ver3 I still hold out hope the B1G will steal 2 more schools from the ACC; hopefully the GoR is tied to an ACCN that won't materialize

TexanMark said:
I can entertain you with MHver3, courtesy of the UConn Board...this guy along with Dude and the rest of the realignment insiders IMHO post 5% fact, 45% assumption and 50% total misinformation...I do give this guy a tiny bit more credence than the Dude.

Another nail in the B12 coffin? ESPN and ACC set to announce launch of ACC dedicated network ACCN

Network is going to be offered on both cable plans and as a subscription streaming network. Hearing around $10 monthly

ACCN may kick off coverage with a simulcast of UNC/ Duke bball this coming season with special features on AcCN cast of the game

Accn is also securing tons of high school bball and football coverage in conference states and some states outside to bolster demand. Texas

MH ver3‏@MH ver3 53m53 minutes ago
$20 mil per month after 5 years in subs alone. 50% of it straight to ACC. Plus 50% ad revenue and 50% carriage fees.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3 49m49 minutes ago
Expected accn to launch in over 90 million homes.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3 48m48 minutes ago
40 mil per month in carriage fees 5 mil in advertising revenue Do the math for one year

MH ver3‏@MH ver3 28m28 minutes ago
Just spoke to my source. Clarification on high school games. Those are pending a change in NCAA bylaws that are in the works

@MH ver3 Question: who will own this network?...will ESPN have 100% ownership? I'm guessing they would

@flugempire hearing acc will receive 50% of ad revenue for first five years and will get 10% vested each year for first 5 years ownership

@MH ver3 I'm assuming ND & NBC is not part of the deal...correct?

@flugempire not sure on football but other sports will be there.

@flugempire also estimating at least $30 mil in ad revenue im year 1 which i think is rather high but espn is going to add network to cable

Murr‏@MurrDCU 1h1 hour ago
@MH ver3 @flugempire any clue on in state and out carriage fees could be?

@MurrDCU @flugempire hearing a flat fee of $0.45 across the board.

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire 19m19 minutes ago
@hawkeyeND @MH ver3 @Genetics56 But I don't think it's an insurmountable hurdle..especially if Raycom provides infrastructure and gets$

MH ver3‏@MH ver3 19m19 minutes ago
@flugempire @hawkeyeND @Genetics56 my source tested me back that Random is working with ESPN for benefit if vested interstate in acc

MH ver3‏@MH ver3 20m20 minutes ago
@flugempire @hawkeyeND @Genetics56 he is unsure about the small amount of content other networks own

MH ver3‏@MH ver3 14m14 minutes ago
@hawkeyeND and FWIW I hate hate hate the ACC. I want to see them fail. They ruined what I thought was WVUs best home: the old Big East

Hawkeye‏@hawkeyeND 14m14 minutes ago
@MH ver3 I still hold out hope the B1G will steal 2 more schools from the ACC; hopefully the GoR is tied to an ACCN that won't materialize

If that idiot is saying it then there's never going to be an ACC Network.

Another reason I cut the cord has to do with "limited, basic" cable from Comcast here in NE Florida - for about $30 or so per month I recall getting about 25-30 channels, many of which were broadcast channels and filtered through the cable box all were in standard definition (SD), whereas even a simple indoor antenna (with an antenna amplifier) in this condo gets 25 broadcast channels, about 8 of which are HD. For several years I had HD service with several hundred channels, about 30 of them duplicates in both SD and HD. All the rest were in HD. The fees kept rising and I work so much I really don't take time for dedicated TV watching. I didn't pay ANY attention to sports for about 10 years working as a scientist and didn't even know the 9 team ACC that I knew as a graduate student had expanded to 15 teams! Looking up information on the computer or reading books is more interesting to me these days. The only good from my cord cutting is I am not supporting the SEC network which is on cable here - the BTN is not. Again, I hope there is an ACC network so the ACC schools can "keep up with the Joneses" but from what I have read in the last 6 months do expect there will be a marked increase in per team payouts from the CFB replacing the BCS. I'm estimating the increase to be in the 6 to 10 million $ range even without a dedicated TV channel.

...and it is moving forward. It no longer is a discussion whether possible...it is now very viable...the ACCN is near announcement...the time frame we have discussed is on target.
The Ninja has finally let the ACCN out of the bag saying today it is very viable. The purchase of non ESPN media rights is on the way from Raycom and Fox...

Here are some of the key points...the Stealth side will be filling in the blanks in time:

Look for the following in the next few days and weeks:
1. Media announcement that ACCN is viable--from Swofford
2. Buy back proceeding
3. Look for ESPN/Raycom to be part of the ACCN
4. Begin to think of Fox role in selling back rights...what does Fox get from ESPN
5. What happens with Notre Dame as a part of the ACCN-announcement coming soon
6. Look for a statement on SECN and ACCN

Prediction for ACCN to rollout: mid 2016 to early 2017...bank on it.

It's Good to be 'Cuse! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange...

David Teel gives a deeper insight into the coming of the ACCN. In brief:
  • ACC needed to have the GOR in place for stability including 'Cuse, Pitt, Louisville and Notre Dame
  • ACC needed stronger results from football teams--last two years have been good results and key
  • ESPN views ACCN as a revenue generator
  • --as indicated previously, the studios will be housed in Charlotte where the ESPNU channel and SECN are housed
  • --note that Raycom is also in area
  • Swofford will not let the cat out of the bag--the Ninja--will wait for the near last second to announce--all things in hand
Finally, David Teel indicates 2017 or before for ACCN to happen...
Go to 75th minute below:
http://stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=301&c=2071&f=4633933

It's Good to be 'Cuse! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange...

Is it possible that I didn't know who the ninja was, but now I do?

Or was I just not really paying attention the whole time.

Is it possible that I didn't know who the ninja was, but now I do?

Or was I just not really paying attention the whole time.
The Ninja is very stealthy.

Chip said:
Is it possible that I didn't know who the ninja was, but now I do? Or was I just not really paying attention the whole time.

Why haven't you been reading between the lines?!

Maybe he should stealthily proof-read future Media Guides since they seem to have a major gaffe in them each and every year. ;):bang:

Cheers,
Neil
Sometimes I wonder if the gaffes aren't intentional. Our society is no longer offended by language unless it's a PC subject. The tub-thumpers will tell you that this probably helps ACC publicity.