Who do you want as the new OC? | Syracusefan.com

Who do you want as the new OC?

OrangeFreek

Starter
Dino is back so no reason to keep on with “a new coach”. That being said anyone have any favorites out there? If I had a say I would go with Rich Rodriguez I know I’ll get blasted for my pick but the dude is a Offensive genius in my humble opinion

Dino is back so no reason to keep on with “a new coach”. That being said anyone have any favorites out there? If I had a say I would go with Rich Rodriguez I know I’ll get blasted for my pick but the dude is a Offensive genius in my humble opinion

I’ll be shocked if it’s not Andrew Sowder. Or at least he is at the top of Dino’s list.

He’s on the “Dino Tree”, runs the offense that Dino has historically run. It’s a safe pick.

If I had to pick 3 I like:

Andrew Sowder
Joe Moorhead
Kevin Johns

And Dan Mullen as OC/Associate HC in a never going to happen in a million years ideal universe selection lol.

Last edited:
Jake brought up Sean Lewis in another thread. It looks like Lewis makes $450k per. We could double that. He seemed to be more creative and aggressive and was good recruiting. He called the offense in our bowl season that everyone liked. How about bringing him back?

I would like the Rich Rod system. That would likely mean taking Rod Smith as OC. Not a great hire but better than what we had. I also like what Utah is doing but I am not sure there is a guy out there running the same thing. If we can find one then that would likely be ideal.

Utah has been the best rushing O in the P12 in 2019 and 2021 under their current OC. They were middle of the pack in passing ypg those years. They lead the conference in scoring this year and were 3rd in 2019. It is a run based O but it is not 3 yards and a cloud of dust. They run the ball with the QB, throw it A LOT to the TEs and even the RBs. IMO we are better suited for an O that features running QBs and TEs as they are easier to come by than passing QBs and WRs.

A guy that can develop Qb’s, like Wildhack said.

The single biggest problem with this team was lack of a credible pass game. The number one issue was the Qb.

The second was the protection.

Ive said it from fan fest, Shrader needs a swing coach.

Not my personal choices but some options

Andrew Breiner OC/QB FIU
Coached as Joe Moorhead’s OC at Fordham then took over as Fordham HC after he left.

Randy Clements OL/Running Game Ole Miss(fired)
Goes back to the Baylor coaching tree. Was OC/OL at Baylor while Dino was there. Ran a prolific offense of running and passing.

That is a pretty bad list. Then again it is Cassillo so it makes sense.

Sowder makes sense due to their previous ties, the rest are shots in the dark.

The Utah system you mentioned was interesting however I’m not sure who would want to leave there to bring it here. Also it would have to help us recruiting wise.

Kevin Rogers.

Yes, after a two year hiatus due to back and hip issues, he’s back to coaching. An offensive assistant with the Browns.

That is the link to the past with a touch of modern that I'd love.

Rogers was great with McNabb right?

Sowder makes sense due to their previous ties, the rest are shots in the dark.

The Utah system you mentioned was interesting however I’m not sure who would want to leave there to bring it here. Also it would have to help us recruiting wise.
No Sowder doesn't make sense. The system has been broken for the last 3 years. Brining in a 3rd OC and keeping the system is not acceptable.

No Sowder doesn't make sense. The system has been broken for the last 3 years. Brining in a 3rd OC and keeping the system is not acceptable.
Why on earth do we want orange is the new fast again? It.Does.Not.Work with the 2-3 stars we get. It's the definition of insanity.

With the running game we're bringing back, they need to think how to best utilize that not to figure out a way to work out of the Mouse Davis system on steroids.

I’m not saying to do it, I’m saying Cassillo mentioning him has merit because of their past history at BG. Everyone else was flimsy connections.