who had a worse 1st game against FBS competition Gerg or Babers | Syracusefan.com

who had a worse 1st game against FBS competition Gerg or Babers

Millhouse

Living Legend
Gerg 103 yards of offense, 339 on defense

Babers 414 yards offense, 848 on defense

I couldn't make it to louisville so I don't know which felt worse live. My guess is WVU felt worse.

is 103 yards gained better or worse than 848 allowed? tough call

i'm still 100% on board with babers. someday (today) we'll look back on louisville and laugh

Louisville felt worse. I didn't get the sense that season was over really until we scored 7 points against UConn in a near shutout.

Louisville felt worse. I didn't get the sense that season was over really until we scored 7 points against UConn in a near shutout.

Are you getting the feeling that our season is over now?

i had a sinking feeling in my gut that first game. the only thing that kept it fun was yelling at deleone while convincingly pretending to not know they had a new coach. i think 103 is worse

Louisville felt worse. They looked helpless. I was at the West Virginia game too, and it was a close game. 15-7 against a team that finished the year ranked 5th.
100 yards of offense means we were more than 8 points away.

We'll be less than 34 points away from Louisville.

Louisville felt worse. They looked helpless. I was at the West Virginia game too, and it was a close game. 15-7 against a team that finished the year ranked 5th.
I wasn't all that distraught after the first Gerg loss. I guess because they only lost by a touchdown. But I should have been.

There's nothing worse than 103 yards of total offense. Even 11 years ago. Allowing 1000 yards is less agonizing.

And the players had basically given up before the last two touchdowns were scored. 62-28 score is very misleading.

The WVU game in 2005 was much more entertaining, considering we only had 103 yards.

But I'm speaking more of the entertainment we had in the seats.

"You stink Deleone! Run Run Pass Punt, here we go!". Watching half the people get it and laugh, and the other half get angry screaming at us that he isn't here anymore.

This past Friday, we started doing over/under bets on how many plays it would take Louisville to score once they started a drive. And when Jackson leaped the safety and snuck in bounds, we all gave him a standing O.

As for the game, I'll take 4 TDs over anything. It basically felt like a 14 point lead most of the time. Just couldn't get over the hump, but kept people into it. The real runaway wasn't until late. I was already gone. The two 1 play TD run drives. I watched them on replay, it was pretty clear the team had mailed it in at that point.

UL was weird though.. 250 yds in 3 min which was awful. then 350 yds in 3 quarters which is liveable. then like 250 yds in the last 7-8 min when it got out of reach the offense just made mistakes.

is a 12 play 80 yd drive worse than a 1 play 80 yd drive?

I wasn't all that distraught after the first Gerg loss. I guess because they only lost by a touchdown. But I should have been.

There's nothing worse than 103 yards of total offense. Even 11 years ago. Allowing 1000 yards is less agonizing.

And the players had basically given up before the last two touchdowns were scored. 62-28 score is very misleading.
I think that score is very misleading the other way... The Ville players let down after the first few minutes; they knew it was a Dickie V MnMer. Blind luck kept an extra td or two off the board in the middle rounds...

I couldn't make it to louisville so I don't know which felt worse live. My guess is WVU felt worse.

i'm still 100% on board with babers. someday (today) we'll look back on louisville and laugh

WVU felt worse because you felt helpless. Margin was smaller but you knew they couldn't score so what difference does it make? With UL, I thought we could score a couple TDs quickly and get right back into it for much of the game.

Gerg's first game was "better" in my opinion, when you talk specifically about one game.
We had a chance in that WV game...the worst part about the Ville game was getting behind so fast that we never really had a shot. I think people would've taken it better if we had stayed somewhat close and just blew it at the end.
But looking forward...I feel much better about our Briles offense than with Robinson's west coast offense

WVU was worse - I knew the defense was undermanned going in against UL (didn't realize THAT undermanned though) - against WVU I was,already worried about a TE coach coming in to be the OC, but I thought the personnel was talented enough to compete. To have the defense play that well and force that many turnovers and not be able to generate ANYTHING on offense - I knew the season was sunk and the coaches were in over their heads. At least with this staff I know what they can do as they have a track record in college and I know that something exciting could happen each and every time SU gets the ball which keeps me interested even when the team is getting shelled.

100 yards of offense means we were more than 8 points away.

We'll be less than 34 points away from Louisville.
Yes, however, the fact remains...we were 8 points away the whole game. It was within reach until the final seconds. Louisville was out of reach WITHIN seconds.

Louisville was a crushing defeat. But during the game, I felt like we could get back into it even though the offense couldn't quite produce at key times.

Against WVU, we looked and were hapless [as evidenced by the 1-11 debacle that year].

As frustrating as Friday's game / performance / outcome was, WVU was worse.

I was more depressed DURING the Louisville game. I was more depressed AFTER the WVU game. If that makes sense.

Yes, however, the fact remains...we were 8 points away the whole game. It was within reach until the final seconds. Louisville was out of reach WITHIN seconds.
It didn't feel within reach by the 2nd half - watching that offense was pure torture and coupled with the realization that this new staff is in over their heads and it's only the very first game was beyond depressing

The Louisville game was over 5 mins in. The WV game was a game until the final whistle. Not even close.
No, it wasn't. And anyone who says that hasn't watched enough college football to credibly make that statement.
It was a 14 point game at halftime with SU getting the 2nd half kick. There have been countless games where teams came back from 14 points at halftime.

Here's a link with a few good examples.
Best Comeback Games in CFB History

No, it wasn't. And anyone who says that hasn't watched enough college football to credibly make that statement.
It was a 14 point game at halftime with SU getting the 2nd half kick. There have been countless games where teams came back from 14 points at halftime.

Here's a link with a few good examples.
Best Comeback Games in CFB History

There was time to comeback but realistically we were never in the game. In the entire history of CFB has a Top 10 team lost a 21 point lead to a team who is at best a 6-6 squad? I didn't give up hope until we were down by 24 but realistically the game was over at 21-0 and certainly over at 35-7. Again it would have been the biggest comeback in the history of CFB when you factor in talent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom