who had a worse 1st game against FBS competition Gerg or Babers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

who had a worse 1st game against FBS competition Gerg or Babers

Louisville was a crushing defeat. But during the game, I felt like we could get back into it even though the offense couldn't quite produce at key times.

Against WVU, we looked and were hapless [as evidenced by the 1-11 debacle that year].

As frustrating as Friday's game / performance / outcome was, WVU was worse.

I never thought we were out of either game. WVU did have that weird feeling, where with about probably 8 minutes left I gave up hope that we could get 6 + 2.

Louisville, we get to 14 at the half and start with the ball. You hope for some halftime adjustments on D to at least put a band aid on the gunshot wound.

I wish we went for a Hail Mary to end the half. See if Ish or ET could come down with something and see if Louisville gets rattled. But I understood the decision, they see Murphy's leg in practice. I also wish Ellison was a faster runner. He covered a lot of yards on that INT, but watching him run, he looked pretty slow to me.

The WVU game in 2005 was much more entertaining, considering we only had 103 yards.

But I'm speaking more of the entertainment we had in the seats.

"You stink Deleone! Run Run Pass Punt, here we go!". Watching half the people get it and laugh, and the other half get angry screaming at us that he isn't here anymore.

This past Friday, we started doing over/under bets on how many plays it would take Louisville to score once they started a drive. And when Jackson leaped the safety and snuck in bounds, we all gave him a standing O.

As for the game, I'll take 4 TDs over anything. It basically felt like a 14 point lead most of the time. Just couldn't get over the hump, but kept people into it. The real runaway wasn't until late. I was already gone. The two 1 play TD run drives. I watched them on replay, it was pretty clear the team had mailed it in at that point.
I'm a big fan of announcing my heckling intentions. Hey Louisville [make them wait for it] nobody likes you

Same thing with the WVU game

It was the worst offense I've ever seen. It wasn't like WVU was swallowing us whole (eeeaasy there chip) Aaron Donald style. It was just utter incompetence .

Yes, however, the fact remains...we were 8 points away the whole game. It was within reach until the final seconds. Louisville was out of reach WITHIN seconds.
I disagree.

I hereby declare that if and only if babers stinks, his nickname will be Berbers as a tribute to gerg and gersbermps
As arbiter of nicknaming, I accept all of the above.

cuse309 said:
Yes, however, the fact remains...we were 8 points away the whole game. It was within reach until the final seconds. Louisville was out of reach WITHIN seconds.

And back in reach by the end of the half. 8 points for a slow bad offense might be more of a hike than 14 for a fast strike up-tempo team.

And back in reach by the end of the half. 8 points for a slow bad offense might be more of a hike than 14 for a fast strike up-tempo team.
Our recent history suggests this is true.

I never thought we were out of either game. WVU did have that weird feeling, where with about probably 8 minutes left I gave up hope that we could get 6 + 2.

Louisville, we get to 14 at the half and start with the ball. You hope for some halftime adjustments on D to at least put a band aid on the gunshot wound.

I wish we went for a Hail Mary to end the half. See if Ish or ET could come down with something and see if Louisville gets rattled. But I understood the decision, they see Murphy's leg in practice. I also wish Ellison was a faster runner. He covered a lot of yards on that INT, but watching him run, he looked pretty slow to me.

We had HUGE opportunities at the end of the half / on that first drive of the 3rd against Louisville. We had momentum, we were close, the crowd was into it, and we failed to capitalize either time.

I'm not suggesting that either score changes the outcome--Louisville is legitimately a top 10 team. But that's how Friday night's game felt to me--we intermittently played okay, but could never quite get over the hump, even when we got rolling.

Hopefully, most other teams aren't going to have the same caliber of defensive athletes, which will make it easier for us to score points.

We had HUGE opportunities at the end of the half / on that first drive of the 3rd against Louisville. We had momentum, we were close, the crowd was into it, and we failed to capitalize either time.

I'm not suggesting that either score changes the outcome--Louisville is legitimately a top 10 team. But that's how Friday night's game felt to me--we intermittently played okay, but could never quite get over the hump, even when we got rolling.

Hopefully, most other teams aren't going to have the same caliber of defensive athletes, which will make it easier for us to score points.

And, truth be told, Babers has a proven record as a head coach and offensive mind. At halftime, we had seen him for 6 quarters. It's not unrealistic that he may be able to adjust and put 21-28 more points on the board 2nd half.

In that Gerg game, it was clear by halftime that our coaches (who were all rookies in their respective roles & were working together for the first time), had no idea what to do to try to even get a first down, let alone a TD.

Going into halftime of that WVU game, I felt the inescapable Ohhh shhhhhhhhhiiiiiiii we just torpedoed the football program, didn't we?

Can't recall my emotions of Gerg's first game but the stats are similar to last Sunday's Bills game which casts my vote for Gerg's first game being worse. No offense is completely unwatchable.

I'm a big fan of announcing my heckling intentions. Hey Louisville [make them wait for it] nobody likes you

Seriously... maybe 25 Louisville fans there Friday night. Even less than no one likes you day.

It never felt like an 8 point game.

The WVU game in 2005 was much more entertaining, considering we only had 103 yards.

But I'm speaking more of the entertainment we had in the seats.

"You stink Deleone! Run Run Pass Punt, here we go!". Watching half the people get it and laugh, and the other half get angry screaming at us that he isn't here anymore.

This past Friday, we started doing over/under bets on how many plays it would take Louisville to score once they started a drive. And when Jackson leaped the safety and snuck in bounds, we all gave him a standing O.

As for the game, I'll take 4 TDs over anything. It basically felt like a 14 point lead most of the time. Just couldn't get over the hump, but kept people into it. The real runaway wasn't until late. I was already gone. The two 1 play TD run drives. I watched them on replay, it was pretty clear the team had mailed it in at that point.
spontaneous bets about stupid nonsense are the best. my favorite was betting on two children bumper bowling pitifully a couple lanes over. we were quite intoxicated and behaved ourselves until the final decisive shot off 15 bumpers with one wobbly pin that, unbenownst to him, was for all the marbles. lots of celebrating and wailing,the family had no idea what was happening

i don't like real betting but i like that stuff

If Louisville whoops FSU this weekend and if we even have a passable performance against USF will we all gather 'round the punch bowl and drink deeply from the Kool Aid yet again? Yes, yes we will.

Please do not even think to mention these 2 men in the same breath. I NEVER had trust in one of them, and have extremely good feelings about the ability of the other one.

Since we have to talk about Robinson...anyone know if any internet video, gif, etc. exists of his boxing routine before the team came out for the Penn State game at the Dome? That really happened, right? I didn't dream that?

Cuseregular said:
Hey careful there the nancies on here will accuse you of wanting to run Babers out of town, expecting to be 12-0 out of the gate and giving up on the season! ;):)

You do realize that by Tues/Wed after a loss the posts tend to get hopeful again. I mean there was some nasty stuff spewed after a loss (as usual).

The stuff now is largely pretty sane. But Sat morning around 1am it was a cesspool.

Also thinking of coining a derogatory term for people who call other people nancies on the Internet.

You do realize that by Tues/Wed after a loss the posts tend to get hopeful again. I mean there was some nasty stuff spewed after a loss (as usual).

The stuff now is largely pretty sane. But Sat morning around 1am it was a cesspool.

Also thinking of coining a derogatory term for people who call other people nancies on the Internet.
Actually no, must have missed the most egregious. Assume it was all deleted. Thanks for the heads up, couldn't make sense of it with what I saw and contributed today.

Last edited:
Since we have to talk about Robinson...anyone know if any internet video, gif, etc. exists of his boxing routine before the team came out for the Penn State game at the Dome? That really happened, right? I didn't dream that?

I asked same question and nev found it. Somebody did about 3-4 years ago

7-15 is better than 28-62. Not even close.

In 2005 I came away feeling that we had a pretty good defense. We just needed to get the offense going. I still believed that Greg Robinson was going to be an upgrade. It took several games to realize that that wasn't the case. The Connecticut loss was the tipping point. Right now I still believe very much that Dino Babers is a good fit for us. But it's clear he's got a big job that isn't going to get done any time soon. 103 yards of offense is pathetic but 845 yards surrendered by the defense is horrific.

Last edited:
7-15 is better than 28-62. Not even close.

In 2005 I came away feeling that we had a pretty good defense. We jsut needed to get the offense going. I still believe that Greg Robinson was going to be an upgrade. It took several games to realize that that wasn't the case. The Connecticut loss was the tipping point. Right now I still believe very much that Dino Babers is a good fit for us. But it's clear he's got a big job that isn't going to get done any time soon. 103 yards of offense is pathetic but 845 yards surrendered by the defense is horrific.

Yeah, but thinking of how it felt for those at the game. You were probably one of about 14 people who saw it all the way to 62-28.

I saw a 45-28 game. That's when I checked out. (yes, 17 is greater than 8). But I had plenty to cheer for. Became a 14 point game where we couldn't break through when we had the ball.

2005, I don't remember having nearly as many moments. Few first downs, doubt we even had one play over 15 yards. I remember a lot of WVU turnovers, but if we didn't return a TD we just thought, oh well, some field position.

Luckily we didn't have to face the Pat White/Steve Slaton WVU that they became later than season.

I think we all knew it was a massive rebuild but didn't want to acknowledge how giant it was. I wonder what Coach Babers has been thinking...does the competitive part of the brain kick in or at some point does he just want to throw in the towel? I hope he stays, if nothing else the team needs stability and a plan which went down the shiiiter when Marrone jumped ship.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom