Who is CNY’s greatest player ever? | Syracusefan.com

Who is CNY’s greatest player ever?

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan

Who is CNY’s greatest

basketball

player

ever?

Andray Blatche is the greatest basketball player to ever come out of the city of Syracuse.

Don’t believe it?

The Brooklyn Nets center/power forward, who played for Henninger High School, is in his ninth season in the NBA after entering the league at the age of 19. His best competition is probably Jimmy Collins, a Corcoran graduate who played sparingly for the Chicago Bulls in two seasons in the early 1970s.

Not even close.

But what about expanding the circle to all of CNY?

OK, now there’s competition. Minoa’s Larry Costello was a six-time NBA all-star, so he wins. Danny Schayes, who played for Jamesville-DeWitt, had an 18-year NBA career. So he’s a big part of the conversation. (Danny’s father, Dolph, is in the hall of fame — but he is from New York City.) Another J-D grad, Andy Rautins, had only a brief stay in the league.

So here’s a quick look at the big three — Costello, Schayes and Blatche:

LARRY COSTELLO

Image_2.jpg

Costello, who died in 2001, was a hard-nosed, 6-foot-1 point guard in the 1950s and ’60s. He was selected No. 12 by Philadelphia in the 1954 NBA Draft after playing his college ball at Niagara. He won an NBA title with Philadelphia in 1967 and led the NBA in free-throw percentage for two seasons. He was with the Syracuse Nationals from 1957 to 1965. Costello went on to coach the Milwaukee Bucks to an NBA title in 1971 (with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Oscar Roberton and Bobby Dandridge) and later coached the Chicago Bulls.

Image_3.jpg

Schayes, 55, played behind Louis Orr and Roosevelt Bouie before coming into his own as a senior at Syracuse University. He led the Orange in scoring and rebounding in 1980-81 and had a Carrier Dome record 23 rebounds in a win over Georgetown. The Utah Jazz selected Schayes with the 13th pick of the 1981 draft. Schayes was 6-foot-

11, solid fundamentally, a good passer and an excellent interior defender. And who doesn’t need that? Seven teams over his

18-year career decided they did.

ANDRAY BLATCHE

andray_blatche.png

At the age of 27, he has a long way to go before his career is fully defined. Blatche played for Henninger High and South Kent School in Connecticut before being selected 49th by Washington in the 2005 draft. He played seven years for the Wizards, then was traded to Brooklyn. Blatche is offensively aggressive and a matchup nightmare at 6-foot-11 and 260 pounds. He’s versatile and creative enough to shoot from the perimenter and take defenders off the dribble. He has averaged 11.2 points and 5.3 rebounds for the Nets this season.

Was in today's PS could not find a link

Last edited:
Good post. You named some great players.

Since All4SU is probably napping, posing for another portrait, hunting rhinos in Africa or taking a bath in Geritol, I'll take his place and step up to defend a player from olden times here.

I vote for All4SU's main man, Vic Hanson (those 2 had a lot of fun in the Flapper Era).

Vic was a 3 time All-American at Syracuse, was voted the best player in college basketball in 1926, when led his Syracuse team to a consensus national championship and was named by Grantland Rice in 1952 as one of the 5 best college basketball players ever.

He is also the only basketball player from Syracuse to be elected to the college basketball hall of fame.

victorhanson.jpg
VicHanson_lg.jpeg

Vic Hanson (Chicks Dig Guys Who Lean When Posing for Photographs)

These other guys you named are all great and very solid contenders for the 2nd best player ever from the area. It is good to see you giving props to one of the many great players from Henninger High School. Go Black Knights! And yes, Blanche is number 2.

Also, you made Gene Fisch kick a kitten and there could have been a lot more players from St Vincent de Paul High School mentioned.

9727637-large.jpg

StJohnChrch.jpg

2011-08-19-dl-sneakersjpg-4bed0f61fc4f20f1.jpg

Last edited:
Also, you made Gene Fisch kick a kitten and there could have been a lot more players from St Vincent de Paul High School mentioned.

Can I nominate my father? Haha baseball was more his sport at Vincent's though.

Definitely not CNY's greatest player, but Don Savage from Manlius who played his college ball at Le Moyne should at least be in the discussion. He was a second round pick in the 1951 NBA draft by the Syracuse Nationals. Only played a couple years in the NBA, but was just posthumously inducted into the Syracuse Sports Hall of Fame.

Manny Breland - partly because he was my junior high Earth Science teacher.

Billy Gabor deserves to be on the list

from his GSHOF Resume

billy_gabor.jpg

Billy Gabor

Basketball

Enshrined: 1989

Born: May 13, 1922

Aptly nicknamed “The Bullet” for his quickness and speed on the court, Billy Gabor set a number of individual scoring records in a Syracuse University basketball uniform. He played at SU during the 1942-1943 season then had his college career interrupted by World War II before playing three more seasons from 1945-1948.

The 5-foot-11 playmaker set a school record for points in a season (409), becoming the first-ever SU player to score 400 or more points. He was the first player in SU history to score 1,000 points in his career and his record of 1,344 career points stood for nearly 20 years. He also established a single-game scoring mark with 36 points against both Oswego and Temple. Gabor earned All-American honors during his 1946-47 season.
Drafted by the Syracuse Nationals in 1949, Gabor made the NBA's All-Rookie team and went on to play six seasons in the league. He was named to the NBA All-Star team in 1953 and was on the Nationals NBA Championship team in 1955.

Career highlights:

1946 -1947: Set Syracuse University records for career scoring (1,344 points) single season scoring (409 points), and single game scoring (36 points against Oswego and Temple); Earned All-American honors

1948: Helm’s Foundation All-American Team; East-West College All-Star Team; Drafted by the Rochester Royals of the BAA

1949: Signed with Syracuse Nationals; Rookie NBA All-Star Team

1953: NBA All-Star Team

1955: Played on Syracuse Nats NBA Championship team

1963: Received the Syracuse University Varsity Club President's Award

1972: Inducted into the New York State Public High School Athletic Association Hall of Fame

1974: First Vic Hanson Medal of Excellence Award from the Syracuse University Hardwood Club

1987: Received the Blind Men and Criers annual “Lew Andreas Award” for service to the Syracuse community

2000: Honored by Syracuse University as a member of the All-Century Basketball Team

2009: No. 17 jersey retired by Syracuse University

Next up, Cherihoops to list the ladies who should be in this argument.
Seriously, at some point, I think the world is going to acknowledge that the best female basketball player of all-time is from Cicero.

I played golf with her dad last night. Great guy, very happy for him and Breanna.

Last edited:
Mike Kitts was the best one I saw. But I moved away a long time ago :)

Mike Kitts was the best one I saw. But I moved away a long time ago :)
Really? I've known Mike since the 80's and never knew he was a hot shot B ball player. He was here at Crouse early in my stay getting a hip replacement. Met his ex wife who was with spiritual care. Very sweet girl.

Really? I've known Mike since the 80's and never knew he was a hot shot B ball player. He was here at Crouse early in my stay getting a hip replacement. Met his ex wife who was with spiritual care. Very sweet girl.

Yes he played for St Anthony's, then OCC in the early days of it's existence. He was a very good player in high school and OCC but he'll be known more for his refereeing than his playing.

Benard blunt
Played against him in high school. Amazing how many times one person could dunk during one game, especially for CNY. Busted his knee early in his senior year at St. Joes, got medical red shirt and played one more year and didnt do as well. May have derailed potential NBA...

Played against him in high school. Amazing how many times one person could dunk during one game, especially for CNY. Busted his knee early in his senior year at St. Joes, got medical red shirt and played one more year and didnt do as well. May have derailed potential NBA...
Those games, that era was great/brutal/exciting. The crowds were rowdy. A lot of D1 talent spread out over section 3 back then.

If we stretch CNY a bit further toward where I learned the game, I think Adonal Foyle deserves an honorable mention. 8th overall pick.

http://adonalfoyle.com/bio/bio-early-years/

I grew up in Section 4, and have always considered myself a CNYer. But enough about me :cool:. We played against Jim Lee (Windsor, NY) in HS, where he was almost unstoppable. I also thought of Bob Lanier and Calvin Murphy, but both were from the Buffalo area, so I guess they don't qualify even though we were all fiercely proud of them for being from "upstate" (as in, not NYC).

edit: and I had to dig around in the dust and cobwebs of my mnemonic catacombs (assisted by Google ;)), but Jimmy Collins from Corcoran had a great career at New Mexico State, leading his 1970 team to 27-3 and the Final Four that same year.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/ncaa-tournament/history/yearbyyear/1970

Last edited:
How about Sam Perkins?

Perkins was born in Brooklyn, and went to Shaker HS in Albany. If we bring him into the argument, we gotta also bring Lanier and Murphy. * :)

*edited post audit ;)

Last edited:
Calvin Murphy was from Norwalk, CT. Born there, raised there and played HS ball there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom