Who is QB1 v Pitt | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Who is QB1 v Pitt

FWIW, he walked to the team bus after the game on his own carrying his bag. He had an ice pack taped to his ankle. No boot, no crutch, slight limp.
Glad to hear that, but don’t want him playing again.

I am going to add something, but without much context as it is confidential. But one of the players parents reached out to me about a week ago, and in the text conversation said something is very wrong with Schrader and a lot of the players don't understand why he is playing. So not just the injury he suffered at Va. Tech but much more than that. They were frustrated with mostly Beck but also why didn't Babers ever make changes when needed, such as Schrader being too injured to play.
That is all I am going to say...
I have known that Shrader hasnt been throwing the ball well all season. Have posted multiple times about him floating everything, no zip, not throwing to open receivers as he knew he couldn't make the throw. Anyone who was paying attention could see that.
Why Dino stuck with him is beyond me. Im also sure that it may have caused a riff on the team. Last year Dino played Tucker who was hurt and Shrader and it was ridiculous. Thank you for confirming what some of us were seeing.

I have known that Shrader hasnt been throwing the ball well all season. Have posted multiple times about him floating everything, no zip, not throwing to open receivers as he knew he couldn't make the throw. Anyone who was paying attention could see that.
Why Dino stuck with him is beyond me. Im also sure that it may have caused a riff on the team. Last year Dino played Tucker who was hurt and Shrader and it was ridiculous. Thank you for confirming what some of us were seeing.
Dino stuck with him because, as always, he had no alternatives. It’s a disgrace and Shrader and his family deserve better

You have to wonder if it is concussion related from the Clemson hit, is Shrader packing it in knowing this is probably the end of the line for his football career. Why risk another blow to the head?
It has nothing to do with the Clemson hit. If it was concussion related to that hit he would have been out in that game and the ones after. It’s November. I cannot believe people still think it’s that.
His arm is hurt and has been and he has either pushed himself too far or the coaches did but he, as we have seen, cannot function as a DI QB…. Unfortunately neither can our backups.

I am going to add something, but without much context as it is confidential. But one of the players parents reached out to me about a week ago, and in the text conversation said something is very wrong with Schrader and a lot of the players don't understand why he is playing. So not just the injury he suffered at Va. Tech but much more than that. They were frustrated with mostly Beck but also why didn't Babers ever make changes when needed, such as Schrader being too injured to play.
That is all I am going to say...
Well i would say that CDRW’s 7/17 for 37 yards and 4 ints day is why a broken shrader was still playing

Dino stuck with him because, as always, he had no alternatives. It’s a disgrace and Shrader and his family deserve better
Bingo. But that’s sports. Shrader was free to step back from football if he felt that was best for his health. No one forced him onto the field.

Maybe if he came in for some snaps in each game he wouldn't be so rusty.
Rusty is 15-30 for 135 1Td and 2 picks, his stat line is being a bad QB. He got worse last year when he started against Pitt versus his game against ND. I doubt he’s any better this year even with the “rust” shaken off

CDRW is not good. I think one reason he is QB #2 is Dino made promises to get him here. Much like Dino sticking with TD too long and costing us a Bowl game in 2021. Ironically playing CDRW is a preview of next season and more reason to move on from Dino.

CDRW is not good. I think one reason he is QB #2 is Dino made promises to get him here. Much like Dino sticking with TD too long and costing us a Bowl game in 2021. Ironically playing CDRW is a preview of next season and more reason to move on from Dino.
Or the options behind him are even worse.

I mean I was floored that Braden Davis didn’t get in the game when CDRW was visibly hurt. That should really tell you something.

Maybe if Carlos had been played during the 4 previous blow outs his performance would have been better.
Would four games teach him how to throw and have touch. Zero chance. People either can play qb or they can’t. Do you think a lb could be a qb if we gave him a few games. Do wide receivers start catching balls after 4 games. Can an ol start blocking after a few games. He’s not a d1 qb that is the issue. The fsu coach made an interesting remark yesterday. He said we don’t accept everyone who wants to come via the portal. We only take the ones we know will help us. I think the issue with Syracuse is they take anyone and they can’t develop the ones that need help.

Shrader told Steve Infante in an interview last week that his surgery usually takes at least a year to fully recover from, and that his arm was just too sore to throw.

If he can't go, he's 100% hurt.
oh, now we are learning this? if only this could have been communicated to Lamson somehow. A QB that can throw would be awful useful about now.

The real significant indictment on the Dino era and why it needs to end is having a third year starting QB that fans still cannot and will not spell the last name of correctly lol
Oh, I dunno, DJ Unguleelelele? and Tua Toaguveaaaalola? say hello.

no way he plays vs. Pitt, he pulled a hamstring (he had a wrap around his leg) and also hurt his ankle. That's why his throws were off, throwing off the wrong leg. He gutted it out but shouldn't have been out there. Babers obviously had no confidence in McPhail/Davis. This week there is no choice. Maybe we see both with Villari/Allen in the wildcat.

Last edited:
Maybe if he came in for some snaps in each game he wouldn't be so rusty.

I don’t think what we saw Friday night was “rust.” Coming into the game, he was 41 of 87 (47% completion) for 587 yards, 4 TDs and 4 INTs. That’s a big enough sample size to know that he just doesn’t have it, IMO.

Last 3 games 10-28 66 yards 5 picks 0 TD

how can you put him out there again?

Let someone else fail if you think they're worse.

Must be a few kids playing IM who can throw a bit on campus.. do an open walk on contest if they want

Did some research and I agree with you. Turns out there is a new variation on Tommy John with a significantly faster return time.

It is called ‘UCL repair with InternalBrace augmentation’. The return to play rate (RTP) with as good or better results for this approach is also significantly higher (93%), but it is not possible in all UCL tears.

Guessing this is probably what Garrett had done.

If he was able to have this type of surgery, and it was done in say February, yes, he might have been able to throw some in preseason camp. The 93% RTP probably drove Dino to say doctors guaranteed he would be as good or better (I doubt they really did that).

Maybe they hoped they could do the InterBrace thing but when they opened him up, it was not possible. Sounds like you can’t know until you have the joint exposed. In that case, GS and Delhomme were on similar timelines and both were not 100% when they returned.

Given the lack of arm strength and accuracy, I think it is fair to say this was a failed surgery. Hopefully GS can get to 100% down the road. Given our situation, I wonder if him might be interested in returning for one more season? Poor guy would probably have to adapt to another system, another QB coach and another OC. He has gone through a lot in his college career.
recovery -> CFL -> NFL

Villari... K
Last 3 games 10-28 66 yards 5 picks 0 TD

how can you put him out there again?

Let someone else fail if you think they're worse.

Villari... Kid seems like a leader.

Give him some snaps and limited packages and see what he can do.

Culpepper 2.0

Nah, he’s #2 because Davis is clearly awful and McPhlail or whatever is a walk-on. Promises from 3 years ago has nothing to do with it. It’s also quite naive to think Syracuse wouldn’t immediately look at the portal for a starter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom