who will be the first college to sell this beer | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

who will be the first college to sell this beer

Without reading anything more than the linked article, what they are doing is not technically "freeze fermenting." They are fermenting normally, and then distilling the beer through freezing. Same process we used to use to purify things in Org Chem lab. A similar process is involved in making ice wine, when you rely on the water getting locked up as ice in order to jack up the sugar content in the remaining solution.

I am not a beer aficionado by any means, kind of a wine snob, but at some point you can't call it beer. If you get a fume bloom in your sinuses after a swig it's not beer.

Right. My little Saccharomyces slaves can't tolerate ethanol over 15-20% I saw 65% and I was like...uh, no. Not beer. I'd call it a Barley Brandy really, but I don't want to niggle about it.

Victory Hop Devil needs a mention, far better than the Dogfish head 120 and 90. If you want a real good strong hoppy beast, Old Guardian by Stone is the shizzle.

My favorite though is MaltMasher Mfg. Soviet Red Indian. Kind of hard to find. I got the only 3 cases left in the world. Want it done right, do it yourself. ;)

Love green flash west coast ipa. Blue tusk has it on every so often. One of the best. Damn, california has the best breweries. Stone, lagunitas, green flash, firestone walker, Russian river, bear republic, Sierra Nevada. Mercy!

My buddy is one of the sales reps in the craft beer division at TJ Sheehan. I'm pretty sure I've had over 250 varieties. We could have a field day at one of these tailgates if I could ever make one.

Best beer I ever had was La Fin de Monde. It is a Canadian beer my son and I found in Sackets Harbor this summer.
Yeah La Fin is a Belgian trippel made by the famous Unibroue brewery. Their standard line is found in almost every craft store in the northeast. You can find it all over Syracuse. Good stuff

Yeah La Fin is a Belgian trippel made by the famous Unibroue brewery. Their standard line is found in almost every craft store in the northeast. You can find it all over Syracuse. Good stuff
Wegmans has it too.

I am a self proclaimed beer snob who hates ALL budweiser products but I gotta admit the bud platinum is pretty good

How the hell would a real beer snob even know what a bud platinum tastes like? You sound more like a beer omnivore to me.

I am a self proclaimed beer snob who hates ALL budweiser products but I gotta admit the bud platinum is pretty good

Got a twelver of bud platinum for the first time in college on a Friday night. Slugged them all down before the bar while playing video games, and smoking hookah. Then I woke up. Rough morning.

I must say my favorite beer I've had was in Australia called "pure blonde". Not heavy, but a very crisp taste.

How the hell would a real beer snob even know what a bud platinum tastes like? You sound more like a beer omnivore to me.
Ha! I know the brewmaster in Lysander pretty well and he let me try the platinum before the release. He knows nothing of my disdain for Budweiser products

No doubt! Although I had a random guy show up at my North Manley extravaganza last week with a twelver of keystone light. I was appalled.

I bring Natty Light.

When drinking beer there are two types, just like motor-boating - built for speed (quantity) and built for comfort (quality).

Jesus H! That's 130 proof. My glass of Bookers bourbon sittin in front of me is 100 proof and that's considered high.

Highest ABV beer I've had was dogfish 120 which I think was 20% and it was awful
Ever had Rogue's Dead Guy Ale. Not sure what the ABV is...but for me, it was two pints and call a cab.

Ever had Rogue's Dead Guy Ale. Not sure what the ABV is...but for me, it was two pints and call a cab.
Used to drink a ton of Dead Guy. Its considered a maibock. Its considered a German spring beer.

When drinking beer there are two types, just like motor-boating - built for speed (quantity) and built for comfort (quality).

Type 3 - people who love drinking ass beer as well as sucking down some quality brews. You cant call yourself a beer drinker if you dont drink shitty beer every so often. These yuppie people who only by $10 sixers of new age beer drive me crazy. Man up and grab the 12 pack of Genny Light and walk proudly to the register every so often.

In regards to this 65% alcohol beer all I have to say is I prefer to drink 20 PBR's at 3% than 6 of those at 65%. Call me crazy.

Dead Guy Ale is definitely a good beer. I went down to Atlanta last year and we went to SweetWater Brewing Company. The 420 Extra Pale Ale is very good.

No doubt! Although I had a random guy show up at my North Manley extravaganza last week with a twelver of keystone light. I was appalled.

Ha, I brought Keystone to the tailgate last week, too.

No defending it, but I wanted to switch it up from the usual suspects (Blue Light, Bud Heavy) that I'm stuck with once I get into the Dome.

120 isn't better than the 90 minute but it is far from awful. But on the positive side it is 15-20% alcohol. That is also why it probably isn't quite as good as the 90 minute.

My current favorite brewery I've just discovered is Green Flash Brewery. Now I like IPA's but they are not my current favorite style of beer mainly because of acid reflux and probably an ulcer which were likely due in most party to drinking too many beers. They have an Imperial IPA that is fantastic. You know its a good beer when the warmer it gets the better it tastes. Definitely try it if you come across it.

Green Flash is terrific.

My favorite cheap beer and I think the label is cool too.

narragansett_lager2.jpg

Best beer I ever had was La Fin de Monde. It is a Canadian beer my son and I found in Sackets Harbor this summer.

LFDM is awesome stuff as well as any of the other offerings from Unibroue. the last time I drank two of these in a bar in Montreal I left my backpack when I walked out. Luckily it was right where I left it.

My brother in law brews this. Highly recommended along with any other Shipyard product if you can find them especially the Double Thumper (11.2 ABV)

chamberlainlyte.jpg

Love green flash west coast ipa. Blue tusk has it on every so often. One of the best. Damn, california has the best breweries. Stone, lagunitas, green flash, firestone walker, Russian river, bear republic, Sierra Nevada. Mercy!

Double Jack by Firestone Walker is my favorite. Not a huge fan of Sierra Nevada stuff. Dales Pale Ale from Oskar Blues is also high on my list. Hell, I think Ithaca's Flower Power is fantastic. Ever had anything from Founders Brewing Company? Their Breakfast Stout is to die for.