Who wouldn't want to play QB or WR here? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who wouldn't want to play QB or WR here?

The big question is who's going to want to play OL here? Linemen don't like running; most are allergic to it. I know Dino favors more svelte linemen but still, we might struggle to get solid recruits on the OL for a while.
There are a lot of hurry up offenses in college. Does Baylor struggle to get OL? Oregon? Houston? etc. Plus, with a bend but don't break D, they get plenty of seat time after they score.

The big question is who's going to want to play OL here? Linemen don't like running; most are allergic to it. I know Dino favors more svelte linemen but still, we might struggle to get solid recruits on the OL for a while.

That's a joke, right?

The same reason schools like Texas Tech, Houston, and Hawaii have not landed big time QB prospects... need to win and it will change.

Houston's QB recruit in 2016 had offers from Clemson and Ohio State, Texas and Iowa for whatever that's worth. I think an issue for Houston is they're not P5. Texas Tech? No real history tradition and too much competion. They still get big time WR's though.

If by "a while," you mean the past 30 years, then I completely agree.

My concern is, that right now, this offense isn't the norm in CFB. It is a big selling point for Syracuse right now. However, this style of offense, seems to be becoming more common. It may be able to give us an edge for some recruits now, but I worry that once more teams star implementing this high octane, up tempo offense, we lose our biggest selling point.

Justin Pugh and Andrew Tiller say hi.

Thank you for inadvertently proving my point. Two offensive linemen, over the course of decades when we have 5 starting every year, and others backing them up.

BFD.

OL has been a trouble spot for our program forever, even dating back to when we had good teams. McNabb, for example, used to mask poor blocking because he could make plays on the move, and most casual observers didn't even realize that protection had broken down. For a variety of reasons, we have not had any consistent success recruiting, developing, or fielding quality OL.

But Andrew Tiller says hi. Oh Lord Other than a few outlying exceptions scattered over the years, OL hasn't been a program strength.

Last edited:
My concern is, that right now, this offense isn't the norm in CFB. It is a big selling point for Syracuse right now. However, this style of offense, seems to be becoming more common. It may be able to give us an edge for some recruits now, but I worry that once more teams star implementing this high octane, up tempo offense, we lose our biggest selling point.
And this is why the Dome is our secret weapon.

Thank you for inadvertently proving my point. Two offensive linemen, over the course of decades when we have 5 starting every year, and others backing them up.

BFD.

OL has been a trouble spot for our program forever, even dating back to when we had good teams. McNabb, for example, used to mask poor blocking because he could make plays on the move, and most casual observers didn't even realize that protection had broken down. For a variety of reasons, we have not had any consistent success recruiting, developing, or fielding quality OL.

But Andrew Tiller says hi. Oh Lord Other than a few outlying exceptions in, OL hasn't been a program strength.

A guy that couldn't recruit had two starting NFL linemen on the same line. Macky was a second team All ACC his senior year, Hickey third team his senior year. Puts a lie to the idea you can't get high quality linemen into this program in short order.

A guy that couldn't recruit had two starting NFL linemen on the same line. Macky was a second team All ACC his senior year, Hickey third team his senior year. Puts a lie to the idea you can't get high quality linemen into this program in short order.
Hickey would have been drafted had he another two years with Marrone / Adkins.

And Macky - very undersized, but possessed great feet. And he was one of the smartest players we've had here in a while. A coach who knows how to coach an offensive line can work with that.

Steve Spurrier when at Florida used to say that whoever played QB there would be a Heisman candidate. Scheme matters.
Our skill player recruiting has already taken a jump. The WRs are taller and faster and the QB much better. (DeVito may take over sooner than we think.)

Your Marrone baggage is just bizarre, and comes out in tourrettes like bursts.

Some might make the claim that Marrone couldn't recruit; I've always believed that he did a commendable job, given the circumstances of the program at the time.

So, setting that straw man BS aside, being able to cobble a serviceable group of 4 OL out of the requisite 5 who play every snap doesn't put a "lie" [whatever the hell that means] to my claim that OL has been a consistent trouble spot for our program. Your post above shows that you lack perspective, and fall into the same trap many on this forum do of overestimating the capabilities of our players and ignoring how they compare to the rest of the college football landscape.

Pugh was recruited by Robinson and Macky was recruited to play long snapper.

Popcorn and soda

Pugh was recruited by Robinson and Macky was recruited to play long snapper.

Popcorn and soda

Not sure what any of that has to do with the initial post in this subthread about not being able to get OL to come play here?

Your Marrone baggage is just bizarre, and comes out in tourrettes like bursts.

Some might make the claim that Marrone couldn't recruit; I've always believed that he did a commendable job, given the circumstances of the program at the time.

So, setting that straw man BS aside, being able to cobble a serviceable group of 4 OL out of the requisite 5 who play every snap doesn't put a "lie" [whatever the hell that means] to my claim that OL has been a consistent trouble spot for our program. Your post above shows that you lack perspective, and fall into the same trap many on this forum do of overestimating the capabilities of our players and ignoring how they compare to the rest of the college football landscape.

It's got nothing to do with Marrone, the initial assertion was that you can't get OL to come play here. That's just not true. Just because I didn't list every starting linemen over the last twenty years doesn't mean there haven't been guys that can play at a high level in this program during that time.

Zach Chibane was pretty good his last two years, Trudo was solid from the start.

Who's coaching the position is as important at this school. There has been a significant variation in performance depending upon who has been in that role.

A great number of schools at every level run this type of offense. I think it's more the norm than not. They're is just a few that do it better though. The 'secret sauce' if you may. (plus we have a Dome)

Not sure what any of that has to do with the initial post in this subthread about not being able to get OL to come play here?

It seemed as though the initial post veered into discussion of offensive linemen, recruiting offensive linemen, and marrones recruiting of offensive linemen.

A great number of schools at every level run this type of offense. I think it's more the norm than not. They're is just a few that do it better though. The 'secret sauce' if you may. (plus we have a Dome)
i wish we'd been doing this for years but at least we can hope that neighboring schools won't be able to.

hopefully PSU is damaged, RU is a bottom feeder, UConn irrelevant, pitt prostyle boring, BC hopelessly soggy meatheads. that leaves us.

It's got nothing to do with Marrone, the initial assertion was that you can't get OL to come play here. That's just not true. Just because I didn't list every starting linemen over the last twenty years doesn't mean there haven't been guys that can play at a high level in this program during that time.

Zach Chibane was pretty good his last two years, Trudo was solid from the start.

Who's coaching the position is as important at this school. There has been a significant variation in performance depending upon who has been in that role.

MY initial assertion is that OL has been a trouble spot for our program dating back for 20+ years, which is 100% true.

When we were recruiting Chad Mavety a couple of years ago, one of the Rutgers OL who was in the NFL poked fun of him having SU on his list. Paraphrasing: "why would you go there? they don't put anybody in the NFL"

That was pre-Pugh getting drafted, and reflected the perception of the talent we were fielding. Not only have we lacked talent at OL dating back to the P era, we've also placed very few of them at the next level. Not that having NFL prospects is the end all be all, but it suggests something about the players [considered in aggregate] that we've marched out there for the last two decades.

You referenced Chibane and Trudo. Nothing against either of those guys, but both were players who saw the field early and showed a lot of potential, but also plateaued early. Bringing them up again demonstrates that you don't see the forest through the trees re: the most important factor: those were perfectly serviceable players, but they weren't as good as the guys our peer programs were playing on THEIR offensive lines, and they certainly weren't NFL caliber talents. How many OL has a peer program like BC put in the NFL over the last 20 years? How about Pitt? Now, compare that to the paltry list of names you're bringing up.

Also, I shouldn't have to explain this, but we play 5 offensive lineman at the same time. 1 stud can certainly improve the play of the entire unit [a la Pugh in 2012], but the fact remains that most years we haven't had that stud, and often were only fielding 2-3 OL that would even be in the rotations of many of our opponents.

So for all of the rationalizing you've done referencing the Chibane's and Trudo's, the fact is that our OLs have generally trended from god awful to decidedly subpar, far beyond the memory of players like Chad Mavety when we recruited him. OL has been a systemic problem at SU for a LONG time.

Last edited:
My initial assertion is that OL has been a trouble spot for our program dating back for 20+ years, which is 100% true.

When we were recruiting Chad Mavety a couple of years ago, one of the Rutgers OL who was in the NFL poked fun of him having SU on his list. Paraphrasing: "why would you go there? they don't put anybody in the NFL"

That was pre-Pugh getting drafted, and reflected the perception of the state of that positional unit at the time. Not only have we lacked over talent at the position for a LONG time, dating back to the P era, we've also placed very few of them at the next level. Not that having NFL prospects is the end all be all, but it suggests something about the players [considered in aggregate] that we've marched out there for the last two decades.

You referenced Chibane and Trudo. Nothing against either of those guys, but both were players who saw the field early and showed a lot of potential, but also plateaued. Bringing them up again demonstrates that you don't see the forest through the trees in the most important factor of all: those were perfectly serviceable guys, but they weren't as good as the guys our peer programs were playing on THEIR offensive lines, and they weren't talents of the magnitude to make it to the NFL. How many OL has a peer program like BC put in the NFL over the last 20 years? How about Pitt? Now, compare that to the paltry list of names you're bringing up.

Also, I shouldn't have to explain this, but we play 5 offensive lineman at the same time. 1 stud can certainly improve the play of the entire unit [a la Pugh in 2012], but the fact remains that most years we haven't had that stud, and often were only fielding 2-3 OL that would even be in the rotations of many of our opponents.

So for all of the rationalizing you've done referencing the Chibane's and Trudo's, the fact is that our OLs have generally trended from god awful to decidedly subpar, far beyond the memory of players like Chad Mavety when we recruited him, because there were no players for us to point to to counter that perception. Which supports my assertion and tells you all that you need to know about whether OL has been a systemic problem at SU for a LONG time.

I agree on this. The OL has been much better since Marrone took over, but over the years it has definitely been a trouble spot. I'm sure there are a couple more, but the only guys that I can think of off the top
of my head are Pugh, Tiller, Melvin Tuten, and Dave Wohlabaugh. Also, from what I can remember there have been very few guys on all-conference teams either. Sure there have been serviceable guys like Chibane, Trudo, Hickey, but overall that's not good.

But back to the main point. Offensive players should be lining up to play on this offense. Be it QB, WR, RB, or OL. I don't see any reason offensive lineman wouldn't want to play this style of ball? I totally expect the level of prospect we will start to get on that side of the ball to increase. I really think the future is bright.

I agree on this. The OL has been much better since Marrone took over, but over the years it has definitely been a trouble spot. I'm sure there are a couple more, but the only guys that I can think of off the top
of my head are Pugh, Tiller, Melvin Tuten, and Dave Wohlabaugh. Also, from what I can remember there have been very few guys on all-conference teams either. Sure there have been serviceable guys like Chibane, Trudo, Hickey, but overall that's not good.

But back to the main point. Offensive players should be lining up to play on this offense. Be it QB, WR, RB, or OL. I don't see any reason offensive lineman wouldn't want to play this style of ball? I totally expect the level of prospect we will start to get on that side of the ball to increase. I really think the future is bright.

Agree 100% with both paragraphs.

Skilled talent will be going gaga once they see this product, and the video game numbers we put up. I'd expect the profile of all offensive players we land to pick up dramatically over the next few years.

Kevin Sampson and Adam Terry both started on NFL teams. Quinn Ojinnaka also played in the league. SU has, on occasion, produced OL that played at the next level. Certainly not on a consistent basis.

MY initial assertion is that OL has been a trouble spot for our program dating back for 20+ years, which is 100% true.

That was pre-Pugh getting drafted, and reflected the perception of the talent we were fielding. Not only have we lacked talent at OL dating back to the P era, we've also placed very few of them at the next level. Not that having NFL prospects is the end all be all, but it suggests something about the players [considered in aggregate] that we've marched out there for the last two decades.

You referenced Chibane and Trudo. Nothing against either of those guys, but both were players who saw the field early and showed a lot of potential, but also plateaued early. Bringing them up again demonstrates that you don't see the forest through the trees re: the most important factor: those were perfectly serviceable players, but they weren't as good as the guys our peer programs were playing on THEIR offensive lines, and they certainly weren't NFL caliber talents. How many OL has a peer program like BC put in the NFL over the last 20 years? How about Pitt? Now, compare that to the paltry list of names you're bringing up.

So for all of the rationalizing you've done referencing the Chibane's and Trudo's, the fact is that our OLs have generally trended from god awful to decidedly subpar, far beyond the memory of players like Chad Mavety when we recruited him. OL has been a systemic problem at SU for a LONG time.

I'm not over estimating anything.

Here is what I was responding to in total.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brooky03 said:

If by "a while," you mean the past 30 years, then I completely agree.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So we've failed to get solid OL in this program for the last 30 years. 30 years, as in since 1986 we've failed to bring in solid OL recruits.

Really?

Where did I say we had lines full of all american's from tackle to tackle? That's what getting solid OL recruits equates to?

I pointed out two guys who are starting now in the NFL that certainty don't fit with failing to get solid OL recruits in the last 30 years. There are first and second year players playing this year that are probably going to be "solid" with quality coaching. Does that mean they are headed to the NFL, probably not, but it doesn't mean they won't turn out to be good college players.

Chibane, Trudo, Mackey, and Hickey are the very definition of solid.

In 2003/2004 the OL unit had Terry, Tarrullo, Franklin, Ojinnaka, Greene, Romeo, Sampson on it. Were they great, no, but solid, certainty think so.

It's not like they have trotted out lines like Lepak, Baumbach, Allport, Phillips, and McKenzie year after year. If the three deep was full of guys like that year after year then you'd be right.