Why did Syracuse pull Carrier’s name now? John Wildhack says ‘no rhyme or reason’ | Syracusefan.com

Why did Syracuse pull Carrier’s name now? John Wildhack says ‘no rhyme or reason’

You don't scrub an entire document for 64 name changes without there being a point. Carrier, hit the bricks pal!

Don't love this, ... and not for any allegiance to Carrier. From my seat, what JW is (inadvertently) communicating to any prospective naming-right prospect is that the familiarity/habit of "the Dome" will always outweigh any yet-to-be-determined new name.

This JW strategy or choice of words is a net negative for SU Athletics:

" ... Again, we’re trying to use the language our fans use. Our fans refer to it as the Dome. We’re proud of it.”

It erodes his leverage in almost any circumstance, even if talks continue with Carrier. Let alone, if they have a pitch meeting or negotiations with another company/corporation.

I am an enormous JW fan (thank God he arrived), and this is a tough job, but this is not his finest communicative moment.

Don't love this, ... and not for any allegiance to Carrier. From my seat, what JW is (inadvertently) communicating to any prospective naming-right prospect is that the familiarity/habit of "the Dome" will always outweigh any yet-to-be-determined new name.

" ... Again, we’re trying to use the language our fans use. Our fans refer to it as the Dome. We’re proud of it.”

It erodes his leverage in almost any circumstance, even if talks continue with Carrier. Let alone, if they have a pitch meeting or negotiations with another company/corporation.

I am an enormous JW fan (thank God he arrived), and this is a tough job, but this is not his finest communicative moment.

Nah. Clearly it's a shot across the bow for new negotiations or abrogation of the Carrier deal but why announce it as such to the press/public? Carrier knows what's up. This has never happened before and I don't see this happening in the future. If any future sponsor is worried about it, they can write it into the contract. Perhaps that's the loophole the SU AD is exploiting here?

Sure, let's go do things all willy nilly.

Why not?

Do we really need a name for the dome? Let’s just call it the Syracuse Dome. Not like we are getting any money from the carrier name.

Carrier knows they are screwed or else they would have filed a lawsuit when this immediately was reported. The fact that they haven't tells me the University has outsmarted them.

Does anyone know for certain that SU is trying to negotiate with another company for naming rights? Maybe SU decided that with the way the contract is written they can't legally change the name of the building, but they also are not obligated in any way, shape, or form to give as much free press to Carrier as they have been.

They can leave the Carrier name on the side of the building due to the gift made, but just not refer to it in any other communications. Kind of "sticking it to the man". So maybe we're making something out of nothing?

Just as a disclaimer, I don't think this is really the case. I think SU is going to go after every revenue stream possible. Just playing devils advocate here.

What AC company is putting the AC in the Dome? That will make for some interesting comments by TV broadcasting the game from the???? Dome.

I totally hear you on this perspective.

Let me offer a counter:

There is no new deal without getting out of the old. The more articles even written about it actually show the value of the potential naming rights.

But what will be different in the “naming rights” from 1979 is the pitch to a potential sponsor that it’s not just a name on a building, but the opportunity to engage/activate in programming into the building. Made-up examples:

Wegmans Stadium, complete with a “W” food court and vending machines with Wegmans branded items during times where there are classes talking place in the Dome during non-Athletic events. Tailgating in the quad featuring Wegmans...yada yada.

Verizon Field, which includes the first stadium with 5G in the US and a dynamic in-game app experience for those using the service.

The pitch to potential sponsors will include how the original sponsor didn’t do a thing to activate outside the building creation. And any brand would get excited by the opportunity to do more than slap a name on a wall and be in media guides. Enhance the experience.

The case against Carrier has been building for awhile. Now with a new roof, the case is strong.

John Wildhack knows exactly what he is doing and the Chancellor is in on it. And it’s freaking perfect. I. Love. It.

The advertisers rule, look at old pictures of Otto without the Nike stripe on his hat. You can't listen or watch any sports broadcast without advertisements, they pay a lot of dough for it. I say all that because, and someone please let me know if I'm wrong, how often does anyone hear about Carrier sponsoring anything. Any other sport, activity, dancing with the stars, 60 Minutes...Maybe I'm sheltered but I never hear that trade name anywhere else. That has been easy money for 30+ years

Last edited:
I don't know anything and have kept quiet on the topic, but MadNY3 hits the nail on the head and Verizon is the company I've had my eye on as the perfect future naming rights sponsor. NY company, has local presence, close to deal with Syracuse to be one of the US' first 5G cities, advertisements /expanded presence in the Eastern Coastal markets...sounds ideal to me. Can picture the Verizon checkmark logo on the top of the Dome roof like the Mercedes Dome in Atlanta. Just thinking aloud.

I know, the MONEY, but I hate corporate sponsorship.

Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, Soldier Field, Lambeau those are meaningful names. I'll grant Wrigley Field an exception.

With the huge new warehouse proposal which will be 2nd largest in world maybe the Amazon Dome ?

I will bet you a billion dollars this won’t happen.

But don’t discount a certain money company with the same first initial as Carrier.

I will bet you a billion dollars this won’t happen.

But don’t discount a certain money company with the same first initial as Carrier.

The Chase Dome?

Unless there’s a new deal done by the end of the school year, the name Carrier will be completely gone by the 2020 kickoff.

Myself, I will now refer to it as The Orange Dome.