why dont 16 seeds play like princeton??? | Syracusefan.com

why dont 16 seeds play like princeton???

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
'89 princeton came the closest to beating a 1 seed because they slowed the game down. thats the only way a 16 is ever gonna pull this off. you gottta walk the ball up the court and take 25 seconds off the shot clock every single possession. it was easier in 1989 cuz you had the 45 second shot clock, but still if i was the coach of a 16 seed i would drill it into my team to take the shot clock under 10 every possession. no fast breaks, you get a rebound or a turnover you hold the ball and walk it up the court unless the steal leads to a breakaway. you try to turn the game into an ugly low scoring rock fight. the princeton gtown game was 50-49, thats how you do it.

That's how Princeton played though, right? Doesn't make great sense to change your style to something unfamiliar once you're in the tourney.

If anything, I say the teams play 7 seconds or less three pointers bombs away offense.

no fast breaks, get a rebound or a turnover you hold the ball and walk it up the court unless the steal leads to a breakaway. you try to turn the game into an ugly low scoring rock fight.
That pretty much describes Boeheim ball the past several years... so what does that say about us?:noidea:

That's how Princeton played though, right? Doesn't make great sense to change your style to something unfamiliar once you're in the tourney.

If anything, I say the teams play 7 seconds or less three pointers bombs away offense.

i disagree. thats why they never win. the only chance a 16 seed has is to make the game as slow and ugly as possible and SHORTEN THE GAME. if they think they can win by playing "their game", its not gonna happen. a 1 seed is gonna have far superior talent and athleticism, you gotta limit that by turning it into a rock fight. if you try to run up and down and go toe to toe with them youre gonna get run out of the building, which usually happens.

i wasnt paying much attention to the virginia game but i think it was a 1 point game with about 10 minutes left in 1st half. hampton takes a couple quick shots and all of a sudden a 1 pt lead is a 9 pt lead in less than 2 minutes. that cant happen. limit possessions, take time off the clock, play methodical, keep it close, thats their only chance.

they never win b/c of the massive talent difference

exactly. so to try to make up for the talent difference you gotta play a disciplined slow and methodical game. shorten the game and try to frustrate the 1 seed.

another thing i would tell my team if i coached a 16 seed is dont go for offensive rebounds. as soon as we put up a shot race back on defense. dont give up any run outs or fast breaks.

'89 princeton came the closest to beating a 1 seed because they slowed the game down. thats the only way a 16 is ever gonna pull this off. you gottta walk the ball up the court and take 25 seconds off the shot clock every single possession. it was easier in 1989 cuz you had the 45 second shot clock, but still if i was the coach of a 16 seed i would drill it into my team to take the shot clock under 10 every possession. no fast breaks, you get a rebound or a turnover you hold the ball and walk it up the court unless the steal leads to a breakaway. you try to turn the game into an ugly low scoring rock fight. the princeton gtown game was 50-49, thats how you do it.
Purdue came closer to losing to a 16. For some reason, everyone forgets that game. The ball was in the air at the end.

You have to be good at using the shot clock but still getting a good shot. First part is easy, second part is the real trick. Princeton was good at it because that's how they played.

Briancuse said:
You have to play the way your used to playing, if thats fast, your not going to abandon what got you there.

Then youre gonna lose 105-79.

I feel like the coaches of the 16 seeds dont "play to win the game". Theyre happy to be there, they wanna have fun, enjoy the experience, "we're just gonna play our game", blah blah blah. that, if youre serious about making history then play the style that gives you the best chance, and thats a slow methodical use up every second of the shot clock game.

A shot clock violation is literally a better possession than jacking up a bad shot early in the shot clock and giving up a long rebound that leads to a fast break dunk the other way which i see all the time from 16 seeds.

Florida gulf coast has given up 26 points the first 10 minutes of the game. I understand thats their style but they have zero chance of beating carolina that way. If its 26-20 at half u got a shot, but this game will be 51-30 at half cuz theyre just running up and down the court with them which aint gonna work.

i disagree. thats why they never win. the only chance a 16 seed has is to make the game as slow and ugly as possible and SHORTEN THE GAME. if they think they can win by playing "their game", its not gonna happen. a 1 seed is gonna have far superior talent and athleticism, you gotta limit that by turning it into a rock fight. if you try to run up and down and go toe to toe with them youre gonna get run out of the building, which usually happens.

i wasnt paying much attention to the virginia game but i think it was a 1 point game with about 10 minutes left in 1st half. hampton takes a couple quick shots and all of a sudden a 1 pt lead is a 9 pt lead in less than 2 minutes. that cant happen. limit possessions, take time off the clock, play methodical, keep it close, thats their only chance.

The only problem with slowing down too much is when you need you shoot you do not make a good shot. This happens every time Syracuse slows the ball down at the end of the game. Sometimes I wonder if JB should just let them play at pace when they are winning.

All ill gladly eat crow if florida gulf coast wins a high scoring game. Come on dunk city!

They are 16 seeds. Playing their style isn't good so I can't imagine playing a completely new style will work out well.

I understand what you're saying but it's just too hard.

All ill gladly eat crow if florida gulf coast wins a high scoring game. Come on dunk city!

Gulf Coast was just doing a full court press on the inbound. Down by 4. How is it possible?

They just got a turnover off the press.

What pace did UNC Asheville play? I just remember the ending where the correct calls were made that favoured us. Kevin Harlan lost any integrity by cheering for the #16 and whining about correct calls or ignoring missed calls.

A Pete Carill doesn't come along every day. Princeton played with a discipline rare then and rare today.

UNC's ole defense is getting exposed by FGCU. I would be scared if I were UNC. That FGCU team doesn't look like a 16 seed and UNC shot the ball well in the first half and are only up 1.

I can just imagine Roy's extensive halftime adjustments.

jncuse said:
I can just imagine Roy's extensive halftime adjustments.

We gotta play better defense fellas. Now lets go out there and get after them daggamit! And keep shooting well too.

Well the UNC D is a lot more active this half and they are running away.

Our man seth davis must have read my posts.

"FGCU needs to be careful about taking quick shots and creating extra possessions. Make UNC play halfcourt at both ends."

Counterpoint could be Florida Gulf Coast in 2013. They were a 15 instead of a 16, but is there really that much difference?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom