Why don't we do it in the road? | Syracusefan.com

Why don't we do it in the road?

SWC75

Bored Historian
We have now completed the 2016-17 conference season. We’ve won 10 games and lost 8, a record we hope will convince the NCAA committee to invite us to the Big Dance. Those who say we don’t deserve to go point to our poor road record. We won 8 of 9 home games but were only 2-7 on the road in the conference. Our one home loss was the overtime loss to Louisville. Our two road wins were the OT win over NC State, which required a buzzer shot by John Gillon to get us into overtime and the Clemson game which was won by a buzzer shot from Tyus Battle. We were very close to going 9-0 at home and 0-9 on the road!

I decided to use the team stats I keep track of for my “Net Points, etc. posts to see the difference between the home and road numbers to see what they can tell us about why we are so much better at home than on the road, or, more specifically, why we are so much worse on the road than at home. I’ll put my comments on the most telling stats in bold.

Team Stats:

POSSESSION

Rebounding
(Add each team’s offensive rebounds to their opponent’s defensive rebounds. Then figure the offensive rebounds as a percentage of that)
At home, we rebounded 72 of our 265 misses = 27.2%
On the road, we rebounded 103 of our 321 misses = 32.1%
At home, they rebounded 118 of their 330 misses = 35.8%
On the road, they rebounded 118 of their 330 misses = 36.6%
Comment: We actually rebounded better on the road. So did our opposition but the gap was much narrower. (Does the background in the Dome affect offensive rebounding?) We didn’t lose on the road due to rebounding.

Effective Offensive Rebounding
(Divide second chance points by the offensive rebounds)
At home, we got 82 points on 72 O-Rebs = 1.14 points
On the road, we got 129 points on 103 O-Rebs = 1.25 points
At home, they got 112 points on 118 O-Rebs = 0.95 points
On the road, they got 112 points on 105 O-Rebs = 1.07 points
Comment: we took better advantage of offensive rebounds both at home and on the road.

Unforced Turnovers
(Total turnovers – the other team’s steals = unforced turnovers)
At home, we had 105 turnovers – 53 steals = 52 unforced
On the road, we had 108 turnovers – 55 steals = 53 unforced
At home, they had 128 turnovers –74 steals = 54 unforced
On the road, they had 108 turnovers –60 steals = 48 unforced
Comment: We force more turnovers at home than we do on the road. We don’t make any more, even if it seems so. Unforced turnovers are about the same.

Points per Takeaway
(Points off turnovers divided by the number of turnovers the other team had)
At home, we had 143 points from 106 takeaways = 1.35 points
On the road, we had 125 points from 108 takeaways = 1.16 points
At home, they had 113 points from 107 takeaways = 1.06 points
On the road, they had 139 points from 108 takeaways = 1.29 points
Comment: At home we took much better advantage of our takeaways. On the road, the opposition had a even larger advantage.

Unsettled Situations
(Effective offensive rebounding + Points per Takeaway: [Second Chance Point + Points off Turnovers] divided by [Offensive Rebounds + Opposition Turnovers)
At home, we had 225 points in 198 unsettled situations = 1.41
On the road, we had 254 points in 211 unsettled situations = 1.20
At home, they had 225 points in 225 unsettled situations = 1.00
On the road, they had 251 points in 215 unsettled situations = 1.17
Comment: We took better advantage of unsettled situation but the gap was much wider at home.

Manufactured Possessions
(One teams rebounds + the other team’s turnovers)
At home, we had 412 manufactured possessions
On the road, we had 393 manufactured possessions
At home, they had 416 manufactured possessions
On the road, they had 431 manufactured possessions.
Comment: We held our own in the combination of rebounds and takeaways at home but fell well short of the opposition on the road.

SCORING

Shooting
(shots made and attempted and the percentage for two point goal attempts, three point attempts and free throws)
At home, we were 152 for 275 on twos, (.553), 81 for 201 on threes (.403) and 145 for 183 on frees (.792)
On the road, we were 161 for 336 on twos, (.479), 74 for 211 on threes (.351) and 134 for 168 on frees (.798)
At home, they were 133 for 293 on twos, (.454), 76 for 218 on threes (.349) and 102 for 156 on frees (.653)
On the road, they were 190 for 334 on twos, (.569), 86 for 200 on threes (.430) and 123 for 181 on frees (.680)
Comments: Here’ is the gold vein! Our two point shooting fell 74 points and our three point shooting fell 52 points in road games. The opposition’s two point shooting went up a whopping 115 points and their three point shooting improved by 81 points. It’s not just luck or It’s not our night: it’s their night”. It’s about playing sneaker-to-sneaker defense. We do it at home, not so much on the road.

Where the points came from
(PIP= points in the paint, POP = points outside the paint, which is total points – PIP –free throws made, TREY: points from three point shots, TZ= Twilight Zone, which is POP – TREY, two point jumpers from outside the paint, FBP = fast break points POTO= points off turnovers)
At home, we had 220 PIP, 327 POP, 243 TREY, 84 TZ, 96 FBP, 145 POTO
On the road, we had 250 PIP, 294 POP, 222 TREY, 72 TZ, 42 FBP, 125 POTO
At home, they had 218 PIP, 276 POP, 228 TREY, 48 TZ, 52 FBP, 111 POTO
On the road, they had 312 PIP, 326 POP, 258 TREY,68 TZ, 113 FBP, 139 POTO
Comment: Both teams had more PIP on the road but a gap appeared in favor of the opposition that did not exist at home. Our POP declines sharply on the road and theirs grows by an even larger margin. This is reflected in the trey points. We get far more points from the twilight zone at home but not on the road. But even more telling are the fast break points. We have less than half the fast break points on the road than we have at home and theirs more than doubles. In the Dome we look for opportunities to run and get back on defense. On the road we don’t. The points off turnovers reflect this.

First Chance/Second Chance
(FCP is First Chance Points, which is total points - second chance points – fast break points – free throws made, courtesy of Pat. SCP is second chance points.)
At home, we had 370 FCP and 82 SCP
On the road, we had 373 FCP and 131 SCP
At home, they had 329 FCP and 112 SCP
On the road, they had 425 FCP and 110 SCP
Comments: We had a big edge in first chance points at home but that was reversed on the road. Strangely the opposite happened with second chance points, perhaps because we had more of our own shots to rebound on the offensive end. .

Starters/Bench
(Total points – bench points = starters points)
At home, our starters scored 620 points and our bench scored 72 points
On the road, our starters scored 592 points and our bench scored 86 points
At home, their starters scored 435 points and their bench scored 161 points
On the road, their starters scored 636 points and their bench scored 125 points
Comments: We used our bench a little more on the road. The opposition used theirs less, perhaps because their starters were much more productive.

Assists
(The percentage of a team’s baskets that were assisted)
At home, we assisted 139 of our 233 field goals, 59.7%
On the road, we assisted 111 of our 235 field goals, 47.2%
At home, they assisted 135 of their 209 field goals 64.6%
On the road, they assisted 199 of their 267 field goals 74.5%
Comments: The other team got assist more often. We are a good jump shooting team, which tends to produce assists but our primary alternative is drives to the basket, which don’t. If we used more intermediate passing, (such as from the high post), we’d get more assists.

Team Offensive Efficiency
(Possessions: Field goals attempted - offensive rebounds + turnovers + 47.5% of free throws attempted. Efficiency is total points divided by possessions)
At home, we scored 692 points in 597 possessions = 1.159 points/possessions
On the road, we scored 678 points in 630 possessions = 1.076 points/possessions
At home, they scored 596 points in 599 possessions = 0.995 points/ possession
On the road, they scored 761 points in 626 possessions = 1.216 points/ possession
Our home games averaged 133 possessions. The road games averaged 140.
Comments: the 8-1 version of our team was more efficient than the 2-7 version of our team.

Breakdown by Quarters
(Points scored between the beginning of the game and the 10 minute mark of the first half, then halftime, then the 10 minute mark of the second half, the end of regulation and then overtime of there was one)
At home: 16-15, 17-13, 20-18, 23-18
On the road: 15-17, 17-21, 15-20, 24-22
Comments: We play well for four quarters at home but best in the fourth quarter. The fourth quarter is also our best on the road, (which would seem to belie our concerns about the starters playing too long)> We dig a big hole for ourselves before that. The most dangerous period is from late in the first half through the early part of the second half.

Fouls
(Two point shots, points in paint and free throws attempted per times fouled.)
At home we attempted 275 two point shots, scored 220 points in the paint, attempted 183 free throws and were fouled 158 times = 1.74, 1.39, 1.16
On the road, we attempted 336 two point shots, scored 250 points in the paint, attempted 168 free throws and were fouled 159 times = 2.11, 1.57, 1.06
At home, they attempted 293 two point shots, scored 218 points in the paint, attempted 156 free throws and were fouled 132 times = 2.22, 1.65, 1.18
On the road, they attempted 334 two point shots, scored 312 points in the paint, attempted 184 free throws and were fouled 156 times = 2.14, 2.00, 1.18
Comments: At home we were more likely to draw a foul call on the other team when attempting two point shots and scoring in the paint than the opposition and we got more free throws per foul call. On the road, the opposition was more likely to get calls inside the arc but we were more likely to get them in the paint (?). The free throw attempts were even.

Overall: Clearly we need to shoot better on the road and to play defense better. A lot of it is about running the offense and playing the defense the pay it's supposed to be done. We also need to look to beat the other team down the field and to get back when they try to get behind us on the fast break.

Last time I tried to do it in the road, I almost got one of my appendages run over.

:)

Sorry - I hate to take away from one of your great analyzing posts, Steve. The effort you put into these is amazing.

Our defensive stats on the road are mind boggling. To see those differences in shooting percentages allowed is crazy.

Last time I tried to do it in the road, I almost got one of my appendages run over.

:)

Sorry - I hate to take away from one of your great analyzing posts, Steve. The effort you put into these is amazing.

Our defensive stats on the road are mind boggling. To see those differences in shooting percentages allowed is crazy.

I can't get that song out of my head- not because I like it but because it's so stupid.

(Skip to 5:10)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom