Why Don't We Have Otto Helmets? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why Don't We Have Otto Helmets?

These are awesome. And WKU's collective is doing some creative NIL stuff with these.

Everyone would love Otto helmets. Throw him on some white lids and we would be cooking with gas.

Otto helmets would in fact be awesome

I think the otto I use for my profile picture would look really good on a helmet. I’ve thought it for years I wish they’d pull the trigger on it.
John Candy No GIF by Laff

I can’t stand Otto. Or at least the style he has been created in. If we had happy Otto on a helmet, the last 3 weeks would have been even worse losses as the opposition would have beat us down additionally for wearing such a crappy helmet. Might as well wear an orange tutu.

I just got off the phone with SUAD and they told me that we won't be putting a wolf on our helmets or our court so you have nothing to worry about!
Don’t be so sure:
The issue of an official mascot came to a head in February 1995 when Chancellor Shaw appointed an 18-member committee of students, faculty and staff to recommend a logo and mascot, primarily in support of the athletic program. In the Fall the Committee, which had narrowed the mascot possibilities to a wolf, lion or the unofficial Orange, recommended adopting a wolf as the University mascot. A successful campaign was organized by the students who act as the Orange, and in early December Chancellor Shaw named the Orange, popularly known as Otto, as the official Syracuse University mascot. Shaw stated that he was convinced that the majority opinion on and off campus favored the Orange, and that with the Orange the University retains a unique position in college athletics. (Daily Orange, Dec. 5, 1995)

I’m still mad we’ve got an S on our helmets, let alone a damn cartoon character mascot.

Plain Orange with the blue and white stripes through the middle or bust!

Yeah, we should take our cues from Conference USA. NOT.

Mark me down as OPPOSED. NC State has the ugliest uniforms and that ugly wolf drawing on the helmet and on their basketball court. Just horrible.
NC State was the first thing I thought of too!

Never go full NC State.

Happy is the only way for me. Let’s be real, look at Otto, he’s a big plush ball. Angry doesn’t suit him.
That's why angry Otto is so menacing tho!

If we did Otto on a helmet, it would have to be the angry Otto, and instead of just putting an actual Otto in the helmet, it would look cooler if you used the orange, roundish shape of our helmet, and just slap on the eyes and angry mouth decals on each side

We need to use what works well for us (currently not much)
OTTO is a HALL OF FAME mascot, they need to be on everything. Helmets, shoes, gloves, water bottles, Dino's next Hawaiian shirt, butt checks, whatever it takes!!!!

Seriously I do like the idea of having Otto on the side of the helmet and they can be in various stages of depression like us!!!

Last edited:
Count me in on Otto helmets even if they’re only worn for games where we beat up a cupcake opponent. Otto is part of our branding and it makes good sense to put him front and center (er, on the side).

One could argue that blue line down the middle of the helmet is the Erie Canal …

John Candy No GIF by Laff

I can’t stand Otto. Or at least the style he has been created in. If we had happy Otto on a helmet, the last 3 weeks would have been even worse losses as the opposition would have beat us down additionally for wearing such a crappy helmet. Might as well wear an orange tutu.

I’m still mad we’ve got an S on our helmets, let alone a damn cartoon character mascot.

Plain Orange with the blue and white stripes through the middle or bust!

Never...

Except if it's meathead-Otto from borkowski (and I don't care that it's not football related...)

View attachment 232391

Just noting who else hates fun. For posterity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom