Why having had Ennis for a season means so much this year. | Syracusefan.com

Why having had Ennis for a season means so much this year.

LAOrange

Starter
It's easier if you've done it once. It's even easier if you've done it once - recently. Our point guard heavy coaching staff just learned how to help a promising underrated point guard become a star. It's what they do. They can do it again.

If Ennis knew where he would have ended up I honestly think he would have returned. The post deadline workouts hurt both of our early leavers. I like Joseph but Ennis was lighting in a bottle. He didn't turn the ball over much that is the most important thing for a college PG and he was a. Fr.
Joseph needs to replicate that and we will be fine with the other stuff. We are now going two straight years with only 1 PG on the roster eventually it can catch up. Shooting will matter more next year though.

With Michael Gbinije and Ron Patterson, we have two players on the roster who have played at least a few minutes at point guard. Gbinije was our primary backup last year, and has another year of practice to go along with that experience. He played pretty well last year. Patterson will have some version of the Sophomore Leap next year, hopefully enough to contribute as an effective emergency player or even a rotation player.

The point guard situation is way better than last year, this is exactly why Gbinije and Patterson were brought on board. The two are deep depth at a very important position. The year of experience for each will bear some fruit this year should they be necessary.

Joseph will not be on nearly the island that Ennis was last year.

It's easier if you've done it once. It's even easier if you've done it once - recently. Our point guard heavy coaching staff just learned how to help a promising underrated point guard become a star. It's what they do. They can do it again.
I don't think it means that much. TE's success was due to his style and maturity more than anything the coaching staff did. From what people have said on here, Joseph is a completely different type of player. It'll be interesting to see if the added turnovers that will probably come with the increased pace it sounds like he brings with hurt us. Nobody knows how any freshman will play until they step on the court. We've seen plenty of hyped guys fail to meet expectations while near unknowns became stars. Only time will tell.

Ennis was a great guard but imo he did not fit our system and his slow play almost magnified the problem we had with nearly zero outside threat. We had no shooter late in the season and needed to speed up the tempo of the offense which i felt ennis could not do

Ennis was a great guard but imo he did not fit our system and his slow play almost magnified the problem we had with nearly zero outside threat. We had no shooter late in the season and needed to speed up the tempo of the offense which i felt ennis could not do

Ennis on a fast break was like watching the film in reverse. How many times he would pull up and let the defense get set was slightly irritating. I think Kaleb is going to be more like Waiters than Ennis. It will be a lot of fun to see the return to a traditional Orange fast break slam down! That's pretty much one of the major reason playing zone anyway is so you can get easy fast break points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom