Why in the past few years have we not been able to land any top blue chip recruits? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Why in the past few years have we not been able to land any top blue chip recruits?

I guess I don't consider guys rated in the 20s as being "elite blue chippers."

But want to know what stands out on this last for me? Harris was nearly 20 years ago. The last guy listed was 8 years ago. That's an eternity in college basketball years. The dropoff has been steep with our target profile.

But thank you for compiling this -- appreciate the effort.

Winfred Walton was #6. I guess he was 'elite'.

JB has one of his 4 year guys playing 35 plus minutes. Joe is playing more because the guy averaging 21 minutes transferred to get 22 minutes (until the guy in front of him got hurt). QG got big minutes last season and the other forwards last season got plenty.
You like to keep hammering this. But you understand Joe is not as good as the guy KR was sitting behind at SH, right? He transferred because he was better than the starter here and was told not to shoot. That’s it

how many of those kids in the 6 man class did we need the Head Coach to go out and close the deal? At this stage of his life, JB doesn't hit the road like he did when he was younger. That's life.
My recollection is before Hop left, JB didn't hit the road much. Then in Hop's last year neither were recruiting. The first year after Hop left I remember JB suddenly being out on the road a lot. And then he wasn't. Hey, I get it, he was in his mid to late 70s. But if you don't have that drive to personally recruit and you watch most of the practices on the TV in your office and then publicly bitch out players - then it's time.

You like to keep hammering this. But you understand Joe is not as good as the guy KR was sitting behind at SH, right? He transferred because he was better than the starter here and was told not to shoot. That’s it

Bryce Aiken would play forty five minutes in a forty minute game here, sure. Also KR looks, not as light as he did here.

dasher has said it's more than just playing time.

For the life of me the starting thing sounds like little kid logic. He played high leverage minutes and would've done so provided he was fit to do so.

Bryce Aiken would play forty five minutes in a forty minute game here, sure. Also KR looks, not as light as he did here.

dasher has said it's more than just playing time.

For the life of me the starting thing sounds like little kid logic. He played high leverage minutes and would've done so provided he was fit to do so.
Bryce Aiken is a much better player than Joe. KR is a better player than Joe. The inability for some, most importantly JB, to accept that is why we were sub 500 this year, IMO.

Joe's never been in a tourney w/o KR on the team. Just facts.

Bryce Aiken is a much better player than Joe. KR is a better player than Joe. The inability for some, most importantly JB, to accept that is why we were sub 500 this year, IMO.

Joe's never been in a tourney w/o KR on the team. Just facts.

FWIW I haven't looked at the other guards at Seton Hall and their minutes.

He also wasn't a tourney team without a lot of other guys.

Again - the knock on KR here was that he was lazy. Same reports coming outta NJ.

That’s not why he’s no longer here.

But he grew up in Baldwinsville.

And that may have been an impossible impediment. Some kids want to get away from home and the prying eyes of parents when they go to college. And that may automatically rule out the local option for them.

And that may have been an impossible impediment. Some kids want to get away from home and the prying eyes of parents when they go to college. And that may automatically rule out the local option for them.
That's true. But how often does that work in our favor? I would love to know how much of it is just that we haven't been all that good in quite a while. Of course, that doesn't explain the choice of Notre Dame.

Last edited:
Truth

[
That's true. But how often does that work in our favor? I would love to know how much of it is just that we haven't been all that good in quite a while. Of course, that doesn't explain the choice of Notre Dame.

He's been attending a prep school in LaPorte, IN for the past two seasons, just 25 miles away from ND.

Location, location, location.

He's been attending a prep school in LaPorte, IN for the past two seasons, just 25 miles away from ND.

Location, location, location.
Chicken or egg? Did he go there because of his interest in Notre Dame or did his interest in Notre Dame develop because he went there? He spent 16 years, what, 10 miles from SU and two years 25 miles from Notre Dame. Is it as simple as location?

[

Maybe every kid we get who isn’t from upstate NY. How would you know? It’s probably not a reason a kid would publicly disclose for choosing one option over another. Mom probably wouldn’t be happy.

Maybe every kid we get who isn’t from upstate NY. How would you know? It’s probably not a reason a kid would publicly disclose for choosing one option over another. Mom probably wouldn’t be happy.
I wouldn't know. But I have seen a lot of discussion at different times about how different players are unlikely to give us a shot because they're in someone else's backyard.