Why is everyone leaving? | Syracusefan.com

Why is everyone leaving?

44PRIDE

All Conference
What is with all of the defections from the BBall program? Washington, Carey, Goodine and now walk-on Brendan Paul. is there something that I am missing regarding the Transfer Portal. These players still have to sit out a year, right?

I mean, what does it say when a staff has consistently underperformed on the recruiting trail (recently) then loses 1/4 of the team at the end of the season?

A team only has 5 starters.

Some kids are happy to carve out a role for themselves off the bench.

Some kids will never be happy unless they're starting.

If you're a walk-on, and you can get a full scholarship at a low major or D2 school, why not transfer.

Under new proposed NCAA rules, everyone gets a one time transfer waiver where they can be eligible immediately. This also means that anyone who transfers into Syracuse is also immediately eligible.

What is with all of the defections from the BBall program? Washington, Carey, Goodine and now walk-on Brendan Paul. is there something that I am missing regarding the Transfer Portal. These players still have to sit out a year, right?

I mean, what does it say when a staff has consistently underperformed on the recruiting trail (recently) then loses 1/4 of the team at the end of the season?
Brendan Paul announced earlier last semester that he was entering the transfer portal (he is a walkon that wants to play). He was not a surprise. Goodine was a surprise but due to injury and whatever, he could not show enough to be a real contributor. Carey lost his starting point guard position, got hurt and did not play most of the year. He left because he expected more playing time and more of a lead position on the team (was not a real contributor). Washington was originally brought in for depth. Due to injuries, he did not play much. believed he was the best fundamentally sound point guard. He was not going to get a lot of playing time. Wish him well in his pursuits.

short and sweet, if you don’t get Minutes, you don’t show how you can contribute. If you dont contribute, you don’t get playing time. Vicious cycle.

a brand-spankin-new thread for this eh?

My theory is twofold (and I am sure there is more to it):
1. Unfortunately, delayed gratification is an antiquated notion, especially in stark contrast to the immediacy of "now."
2. Parents have become enablers and are part of a player's entourage. To be fair, they've invested lots of time, energy and monies into their kids' athletic exploits. Plus, they love them, which makes for at potentially toxic cocktail. The parent's self worth is so tied to the success of their sons or daughters that they cannot help themselves from imparting their views and (often flawed) solutions on their kids one last time before they become "real" adults.

As a parent with three kids (aged 7-14), all of whom are decently athletic, I too have to fight the urge to speak up on behalf of my kids if I feel things are not happening as they "should." And of course, there are times or scenarios where a parent's or parents' input is absolutely warranted.

But when you reach high school, and especially college, I think it is time to step back and channel your wisdom toward helping your kids navigate and emerge from adversity or disappointment for him or herself. In the long run, that is much more beneficial than blaming a head coach or running to the transfer portal and fishing for a better situation that in all likelihood will not produce discernibly better on-court/on-field results. Additionally, most often, the student-athlete acquires a degree from an institution inferior to that of their initial school, or for our purposes on this site, Syracuse University.

1. Unfortunately, delayed gratification is an antiquated notion, especially in stark contrast to the immediacy of "now."
2. Parents have become enablers and are part of a player's entourage. To be fair, they've invested lots of time, energy and monies into their kids' athletic exploits. Plus, they love them, which makes for at potentially toxic cocktail. The parent's self worth is so tied to the success of their sons or daughters that they cannot help themselves from imparting their views and (often flawed) solutions on their kids one last time before they become "real" adults.

As a parent with three kids (aged 7-14), all of whom are decently athletic, I too have to fight the urge to speak up on behalf of my kids if I feel things are not happening as they "should." And of course, there are times or scenarios where a parent's or parents' input is absolutely warranted.

But when you reach high school, and especially college, I think it is time to step back and channel your wisdom toward helping your kids navigate and emerge from adversity or disappointment for him or herself. In the long run, that is much more beneficial than blaming a head coach or running to the transfer portal and fishing for a better situation that in all likelihood will not produce discernibly better on-court/on-field results. Additionally, most often, the student-athlete acquires a degree from an institution inferior to that of their initial school, or for our purposes on this site, Syracuse University.

Agree 100% with point #1.

when the four of them end up at providence, niagara, iona and fairfield who really cares.

the all-transfer team wouldn't include any of those players.
I don't know about this - all kidding aside - I hope all of these kids, especially HoWa, end up in a good place for them. Big Time basketball isn't for everyone, and they all appear to be good team mates..

coronavirus concerns and Jimmy is sometimes unsanitary on the bench.
Also, Providence healthcare is top notch.

cuse

tumblr_obg0wj21lG1sa8ezpo4_r1_250.gifv

I don't know about this - all kidding aside - I hope all of these kids, especially HoWa, end up in a good place for them. Big Time basketball isn't for everyone, and they all appear to be good team mates..
Yes - they all seemed to be good teammates. Goodine also said he is planning on finishing the semester in good academic standing, and I hope they all are.

My theories...not necessarily about anyone specific from SU this year, but how numbers are up in general.

1. AAU ball has really increased over the years, and the kids from metro areas can easily switch teams to get more PT or if they don't get along with the coach. Can fast-track the mindset that if things aren't good find somewhere else.

2. Increased games on tv and social media -- they can be hit 24/7 by images and thoughts that somewhere else could be better.

3. In way more guys than I would have originally thought, they are looking at their career with going pro in mind, even early. Now it is normal to be in good academic standing, but leave early content to get in the D league and roll the dice. A lot aren't thinking "I'll play more here in a couple of years", but "I need to get on the court now".

4. Early departures have made coaches roll the dice on more recuits to fill the ranks, so more of them might not be great fits, or are over-recruited. The impact of a player like Ennis comes to mind. They figured they had him for 2 years at least, but by February it looks like he might leave...so they are late jumping in to recruit a PG when earlier in the year they didn't plan on it. (just using this as a possible example, I don't remember how that all played out). Either way, they have to keep bringing in more recruits, increasing the odds of poor fits. Maybe a guy stays, so the recruit doesn't play right away when he thought he would, or a guys leaves, so the recruit is forced into action early. I just think back to my era of the late 80s...87-88 had 0 recruits (though Duncan came back as prop 48, 88-89 had 6, and 89-90 (McRae, Edwards) and 90-91 (Autry, McCorkle) each had 2, and they never left the top 10.

I see three "formulas" at play:

1) If you recruit all "second-tier" players who need time to develop, the players stay around, even redshirt, and mature to play well and earn starts as juniors and seniors. This has been JB's long-time formula for consistent winning seasons and for having a seasoned nucleus of players come tournament time.

2) If you recruit all "first-tier" players who expect to play right away -- aka the Kentucky Shuffle:
a) Players may contribute right away and leave after one or two years, but they're great players who give you a lot of wins and a roll-the-dice shot at a tournament-caliber team.
b) They may not contribute as expected, ride the bench, and transfer to get PT elsewhere.
c) Learning to play JB's zone takes time and the players may not have the time necessary to play it well, so this formula may be flashy, but it doesn't fit the Cuse style.
d) There are always roster vacancies for recruits and transfers, but that's not a disadvantage because JB never really needs 13 players anyway.

3) If you recruit a mix of blue-chippers and projects, hoping that the timing works out to blend their skills:
a) The best players leave at the earliest opportunity, so there goes continuity.
b) Remaining players may step into starting roles, but they always have to weigh incoming blue-chippers who could take away their turn to start, thus the unexpected transfers.
c) Every year someone will bolt early for the draft, be injured and stay longer than expected, or get tired of waiting and transfer, and it becomes a scramble each year to keep your roster full and have depth at three positions. This is the formula for always coming up short in some key area (offense, defense, depth) and for having to invent a different team identity every year.

Seems like SU finds itself stuck in Formula 3. The only way to make that work is to play a deeper bench to keep more players active and motivated, but that goes against JB's strong desire to put the best players on the floor for as long as possible and win by overachieving.
Comments?--VBOF

Last edited:

I agree 100% with this.

Of course without knowing ANY facts of any situation, if Howard Washington were my son I'd say you have one year left, go find a place where you can run the show and play every minute of your last year. You only get one chance to do this. If I'm Goodine's dad, I'm probably saying you need to stick it out another year. If I'm Carey's dad I'm probably advising him to go find a better situation because it's not going to happen at Syracuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom