Why is everyone leaving? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why is everyone leaving?

These kids have a different mindset than they did 10-15 years ago. Growing up, they’re the man, and usually dominate the competition. Then they play AAU ball, and get to compete against peers on their level. They hold their own, and their value of themselves is never higher. Along with their family, and friend’s view of their worth. When they end up on the bench in college, they’re probably looking around, and seeing kids who they think they are on the same level as, or even better, playing for another P5 + BE program. Instead of sticking it out, and proving their worth, they bolt for immediate playing time. It’s honestly kind of lazy. To not wanna put in the work to prove you belong can speak volumes about your character.

I don’t think this is the case with Carey, or HW. HW gave the Cuse his all, and deserves a chance to play. Carey just didn’t work out, and needs a fresh start, with a system more tailored for his game. He looked like a prototypical Cuse guard, but he wasn’t, as he can’t shoot, and turns it over too much. Some things just don’t work out, and it ends up not being the right fit for both sides. BG could have found a role here, when his jumper came around, and the game slowed down for him. He doesn’t wanna wait around for that day, so I hope he find a good home at Providence,

MCW, and Dion rode it out, and were rewarded in their sophomore years. MCW was disgruntled, even blowing up on JB in a game against UCon. Having an upperclassman like Scoop there really seemed to help him stay levelheaded. That’s a complete guess, but I feel like Scoop was often consoling him when he was frustrated. Dion seemed to, as well, and he knew the deal after only get 16 MPG as a frosh, with just Scoop, and Triche ahead of him. He knew he was better than those two, and waited for his chance to prove it. If Goodine bet on himself, then he could easily find minutes here, with only two guards ahead of him, that struggled defensively, and need rest to have their legs on jumpers late in the game. Would have had to battle an incoming freshman that had a similar ranking to himself coming out of HS too, and that may have deterred him even more.

Carey probably feels like he didn’t get a chance to prove himself, and wants to run the show somewhere else. I’m happy for him, as he’s a good kid, and has potential to be solid. Just didn’t end up being able to perform consistently here. Maybe he needs to play off the ball somewhere else. Slick Rick can find a home for him. Has to work on his jumper, and getting others involved, but he’s always been solid at attacking the basket, and on D. Turns it over too much to run the point, so maybe he shifts to the 2 with another program. Wish him nothing but the best.

HW leaving is a bummer. Great kid, who bled Orange, and was really our only true PG. I think if he came back with Carey, and Goodine gone that he would have got more minutes backing up JG. Still, he wasn’t gonna get 20 MPG, and maybe only 10-12, with an outside shot at 15, depending on his production. While early games would inflate his average. Once ACC play hits, JG will be back to 35+ a game. Not to mention Kadary coming in with a perfect skill set for Jimmy’s system to compliment Joe, and Buddy.

Basically, these kids didn’t go to college for the classes. They came to play basketball, and along with their handlers, they think very highly of themselves. Instead of recognizing their faults, and putting in the work to give JB no other choice but to play them, they go to a coach that will play them regardless. Some kids have it, and some don’t. Need more kids with that Devo attitude. Dior will bring that to town in spades. And hopeful bring Chance with him too.

Of course without knowing ANY facts of any situation, if Howard Washington were my son I'd say you have one year left, go find a place where you can run the show and play every minute of your last year. You only get one chance to do this. If I'm Goodine's dad, I'm probably saying you need to stick it out another year. If I'm Carey's dad I'm probably advising him to go find a better situation because it's not going to happen at Syracuse.
Someone mentioned that HoWash may have 2 years left. Even more reason to go.

Why start this thread? These guys are guards too small to play any other position and JG3 and Buddy are the projected starters for the next 2-3 years with a coach who prefers to play them 35+ per game.

Remember how bad Syracuse Basketball was November/December? Its because we moronically thought Jalen Carey would recover from whatever happened last year and be our starting PG. Wish he transfered a year ago when he was DNP'd by Boehiem vs Baylor because if we had the preseason expecting JG3 to be the starting PG I doubt we get housed so badly in those early OOC games.

And the team wasn't 'THAT' bad. We demolished a Georgia Tech team that went 11-7 in ACC play vs the other teams in their barn. Know what I mean? Thinking Carey could be our PG was an enormous mistake. Best of luck to Jalen next stop but he needs to move on.

These kids have a different mindset than they did 10-15 years ago. Growing up, they’re the man, and usually dominate the competition. Then they play AAU ball, and get to compete against peers on their level. They hold their own, and their value of themselves is never higher. Along with their family, and friend’s view of their worth. When they end up on the bench in college, they’re probably looking around, and seeing kids who they think they are on the same level as, or even better, playing for another P5 + BE program. Instead of sticking it out, and proving their worth, they bolt for immediate playing time. It’s honestly kind of lazy. To not wanna put in the work to prove you belong can speak volumes about your character.

I don’t think this is the case with Carey, or HW. HW gave the Cuse his all, and deserves a chance to play. Carey just didn’t work out, and needs a fresh start, with a system more tailored for his game. He looked like a prototypical Cuse guard, but he wasn’t, as he can’t shoot, and turns it over too much. Some things just don’t work out, and it ends up not being the right fit for both sides. BG could have found a role here, when his jumper came around, and the game slowed down for him. He doesn’t wanna wait around for that day, so I hope he find a good home at Providence,

MCW, and Dion rode it out, and were rewarded in their sophomore years. MCW was disgruntled, even blowing up on JB in a game against UCon. Having an upperclassman like Scoop there really seemed to help him stay levelheaded. That’s a complete guess, but I feel like Scoop was often consoling him when he was frustrated. Dion seemed to, as well, and he knew the deal after only get 16 MPG as a frosh, with just Scoop, and Triche ahead of him. He knew he was better than those two, and waited for his chance to prove it. If Goodine bet on himself, then he could easily find minutes here, with only two guards ahead of him, that struggled defensively, and need rest to have their legs on jumpers late in the game. Would have had to battle an incoming freshman that had a similar ranking to himself coming out of HS too, and that may have deterred him even more.

Carey probably feels like he didn’t get a chance to prove himself, and wants to run the show somewhere else. I’m happy for him, as he’s a good kid, and has potential to be solid. Just didn’t end up being able to perform consistently here. Maybe he needs to play off the ball somewhere else. Slick Rick can find a home for him. Has to work on his jumper, and getting others involved, but he’s always been solid at attacking the basket, and on D. Turns it over too much to run the point, so maybe he shifts to the 2 with another program. Wish him nothing but the best.

HW leaving is a bummer. Great kid, who bled Orange, and was really our only true PG. I think if he came back with Carey, and Goodine gone that he would have got more minutes backing up JG. Still, he wasn’t gonna get 20 MPG, and maybe only 10-12, with an outside shot at 15, depending on his production. While early games would inflate his average. Once ACC play hits, JG will be back to 35+ a game. Not to mention Kadary coming in with a perfect skill set for Jimmy’s system to compliment Joe, and Buddy.

Basically, these kids didn’t go to college for the classes. They came to play basketball, and along with their handlers, they think very highly of themselves. Instead of recognizing their faults, and putting in the work to give JB no other choice but to play them, they go to a coach that will play them regardless. Some kids have it, and some don’t. Need more kids with that Devo attitude. Dior will bring that to town in spades. And hopeful bring Chance with him too.
We live in the society of entitlement. All these kids from day one have been told how great they are and how they can be all Americans. Even the kids who will never be more than a bench player. I do still think goodine and Carey can be good players.

We live in the society of entitlement. All these kids from day one have been told how great they are and how they can be all Americans. Even the kids who will never be more than a bench player. I do still think goodine and Carey can be good players.

Absolutely, and it’s unfair to them. They need people in their corner willing to shoot them straight. Harder to reach your potential when your handlers make you feel like you don’t need to put in the work necessary to do so. JB ends up being the one that has to inform them of the reality of their situation. In turn, he’s the bad guy, and then the kid and/or his family want to go to a situation with a coach that will just stroke their ego.

How many kids leave, and actually do much better? Basically just BJ, and that was an unfortunate situation, which was difficult to avoid. The kids who stick around, tend to do okay. Like Dion, and MCW. Not to say they wouldn’t have elsewhere, but they were disgruntled as freshmen, and now they look back gratefully towards JB. Brycen may succeed, but Cooley isn’t gonna get more out of him than JB could.

Last edited:
Surely, someone has the stats, but haven’t we always lost a lot more players to transfer than other programs? We had a ‘purge’ not so long ago, as well.

Of course without knowing ANY facts of any situation, if Howard Washington were my son I'd say you have one year left, go find a place where you can run the show and play every minute of your last year. You only get one chance to do this. If I'm Goodine's dad, I'm probably saying you need to stick it out another year. If I'm Carey's dad I'm probably advising him to go find a better situation because it's not going to happen at Syracuse.
See, now I am different on HoWash if I am a parent. I say this respectfully, ... he's never going to be a NBA player. He's likely not going to be a professional player ... so let's work hard on maximizing your senior year at SU and getting a degree. If he wants to take a stab at playing in Australia or New Zealand, I get it.
But let's lock up that degree from a Top 50 national university as opposed to transferring to Toledo or Canisius or Loyola (Md.) or URI. This is about facing on-court adversity and realistic makings decision based on the long haul.

And on the flip side, look what JB has done for guys transferring in. Wes, Silent G, and Eli all were able to showcase themselves well enough to get drafted. Blackwell wasn’t too shabby either.

And on the flip side, look what JB has done for guys transferring in. Wes, Silent G, and Eli all were able to showcase themselves well enough to get drafted. Blackwell wasn’t too shabby either.

And...
Cipolla, KOng, LeRon Ellis, Chewie - plus Uncle Drew & Gillon.
All played well here, and represented themselves and Orange Nation proudly.

And...
Cipolla, KOng, LeRon Ellis, Chewie - plus Uncle Drew & Gillon.
All played well here, and represented themselves and Orange Nation proudly.

If I’m a grad transfer, I look no further than Andrew White to see the impact that I could have at SU. Eli is just the icing on the cake for a guy looking to play the 3, who could possibly see action at the 2 professionally. Cough, Towns, cough.

Surely, someone has the stats, but haven’t we always lost a lot more players to transfer than other programs? We had a ‘purge’ not so long ago, as well.

No. Syracuse has an average to lower-than-average transfer rate compared to other programs. This year is an aberration. Take a look at the transfer portal to get an idea of how many players transfer.

See, now I am different on HoWash if I am a parent. I say this respectfully, ... he's never going to be a NBA player. He's likely not going to be a professional player ... so let's work hard on maximizing your senior year at SU and getting a degree. If he wants to take a stab at playing in Australia or New Zealand, I get it.
But let's lock up that degree from a Top 50 national university as opposed to transferring to Toledo or Canisius or Loyola (Md.) or URI. This is about facing on-court adversity and realistic makings decision based on the long haul.

no it’s not. It’s about getting meaningful minutes the last year you’re eligible. And a kid who almost had everything taken away probably understands that. Frankly a degree is a degree is a degree. it reallys makes no difference where it’s from.

no it’s not. It’s about getting meaningful minutes the last year you’re eligible. And a kid who almost had everything taken away probably understands that. Frankly a degree is a degree is a degree. it reallys makes no difference where it’s from.
And his increased minutes at Canisius happen in a vacuum. Then what?

Frankly a degree is a degree is a degree. it reallys makes no difference where it’s from.

I completely disagree with this. I assume a Newhouse grad has a better chance of getting into the broadcasting world than someone who went to Siena. There is a class of jobs that are only open to graduates from elite schools. It might be that a B.A. from anywhere is fine for a certain segment of the employment market, but that's not universally true.

I completely disagree with this. I assume a Newhouse grad has a better chance of getting into the broadcasting world than someone who went to Siena. There is a class of jobs that are only open to graduates from elite schools. It might be that a B.A. from anywhere is fine for a certain segment of the employment market, but that's not universally true.

Of course schools have their one-off elite type programs but as a whole give me a break. "A class of jobs only open to graduates from elite schools" you're talking about the 1%'s here. Certainly not even close to the majority of jobs out there. Universally BAs and BSs from anywhere U are just fine in the real world.

Howard Washington wasn't enrolled in Newhouse.

Of course schools have their one-off elite type programs but as a whole give me a break. "A class of jobs only open to graduates from elite schools" you're talking about the 1%'s here. Certainly not even close to the majority of jobs out there. Universally BAs and BSs from anywhere U are just fine in the real world.

Howard Washington wasn't enrolled in Newhouse.
You seem to agree that there are some entry-level jobs that care where its new hires got their degrees. We just disagree on whether it's worth it. Nothing wrong with that.

Then he graduates and gets a job like the rest of the world.

Exactly. In a worse spot, as he's searching for employment with an inferior degree.

I respectfully disagree with your notion that all degrees (outside of the 1%) are equal.

Exactly. In a worse spot, as he's searching for employment with an inferior degree.

I respectfully disagree with your notion that all degrees (outside of the 1%) are equal.

Oh please an inferior degree ? Are you kidding me ? lololol is this serious.

What's he majoring in do you know?

Oh please an inferior degree ? Are you kidding me ? lololol is this serious.

What's he majoring in do you know?
Rumor is he’s already close to graduating.

Yeah, (also respectfully) that's kookytalk.
I've done some hiring, some selection for internships, and i've been consulted on hiring in other situations. The school name on the degree carries weight. It may not be the deciding factor, but it has weight, even in an impression pre-interview. And it's not just about a probably fallacious supposition that the schoolwork is more rigorous or preparatory, it's about the pre-selection, just to get into certain schools. You ostensibly have to be a 'certain kind of student' to get there, and once there, maybe the work is the same, who knows. But, there are reasons why certain schools are ranked higher than others in certain programs. Professors, resources, commitment to the field, etc.

The OP asks "Why is everyone leaving"?.. Well Alsacs has given his view in a dozen threads on this topic without being asked. Wonder why he hasn't answered you? Oh he must have you on ignore. LMAO.

What is with all of the defections from the BBall program? Washington, Carey, Goodine and now walk-on Brendan Paul. is there something that I am missing regarding the Transfer Portal. These players still have to sit out a year, right?

I mean, what does it say when a staff has consistently underperformed on the recruiting trail (recently) then loses 1/4 of the team at the end of the season?

Pitt has two guards transferring out, Trey McGowans and Ryan Murphy. ouch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom