Why isn't Syracuse a Jordan Brand school? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Why isn't Syracuse a Jordan Brand school?

They order Jordan Brand apparel, but they are not official Jordan Brand schools.

Also, seems to be a misconception between wearing Jordans in game and being officially outfitted by Jordan Brand. You can wear Jordans. The team doesn't supply them and often has to come out of the player's pockets themselves. The team supplies what Nike gives them. Source: A family friend that played for West Virginia.

Oakland and Fresno State wear a jumpman logo on their jersey so...

The shoes are simple: 3 pairs of game shoes (nike school = nike shoes, nike determines the exact kinds). If they wear Jordan it is their personal shoes. You're right there.

Oakland and Fresno State wear a jumpman logo on their jersey so...

The shoes are simple: 3 pairs of game shoes (nike school = nike shoes, nike determines the exact kinds). If they wear Jordan it is their personal shoes. You're right there.

They are not an official school. You can place orders for apparel from the catalog. You can also do this at the high school level.

They order Jordan Brand apparel, but they are not official Jordan Brand schools.

Also, seems to be a misconception between wearing Jordans in game and being officially outfitted by Jordan Brand. You can wear Jordans. The team doesn't supply them and often has to come out of the player's pockets themselves. The team supplies what Nike gives them. Source: A family friend that played for West Virginia.

At some schools, I imagine. But in my experience, everyone in the lockerroom has access to Eastbay and when a kid wants a pair of shoes (not a competing brand, of course) it shows up in his locker within the week. When a guy has a couple dozen pairs of sneakers during the course of the season, he's usually not paying for any of them.

Maybe LaVar Ball will sponsor us, since Lonzo is better than Curry, MJ, Magic, etc...

Forgive me - I'm a longtime lurker - but I do this stuff for a living and I'm pretty familiar with Nike's brand strategy, and without giving too many specifics, I can actually speak to this. It's sort of confusing, so bear with me.

Jordan Brand exists as a boutique brand within Nike's overall umbrella as a "top-end, conspicious consumption brand" - Cuse typically falls these days under the auspices of what's called the "Nike Elite" tier, which isn't necessarily inferior but generally manifests itself in different shoe and apparel templates. (Confusing things a little, Carmelo is a Jordan Brand endorser, and several of his signature shoes have been released in SU-themed colorways.) Nonetheless, they're an important program in the grand scheme of Nike's college strategy and typically get custom designs (vs. color-shifted templates), as well as custom shoe colorways for players.

An important thing to understand about major NCAA endorsement deals is that they're wildly complicated and generally negotiated between a coach, an AD, and an institution; my understanding of the matter specific to SU is that Boeheim's own Nike endorsement contract (which predates the Jordan Brand spinoff by many years and, to the best of my knowledge, is handled by parties affiliated with Nike and not Jordan Brand per se) is the main driver in determining who at Nike gets assigned to the Syracuse account. I can't speculate offhand as to whether it might change or if Cuse might switch to Jordan Brand or a different account team entirely if/when Boeheim leaves, but Nike takes their account extremely seriously and has for many years. (I always liked the 80's-era anecdotes about Nike producing prototype Cuse uniforms in dazzle fabric vs. Georgetown uniforms in "weathered denim" to complement their respective styles.)

Forgive me - I'm a longtime lurker - but I do this stuff for a living and I'm pretty familiar with Nike's brand strategy, and without giving too many specifics, I can actually speak to this. It's sort of confusing, so bear with me.

Jordan Brand exists as a boutique brand within Nike's overall umbrella as a "top-end, conspicious consumption brand" - Cuse typically falls these days under the auspices of what's called the "Nike Elite" tier, which isn't necessarily inferior but generally manifests itself in different shoe and apparel templates. (Confusing things a little, Carmelo is a Jordan Brand endorser, and several of his signature shoes have been released in SU-themed colorways.) Nonetheless, they're an important program in the grand scheme of Nike's college strategy and typically get custom designs (vs. color-shifted templates), as well as custom shoe colorways for players.

An important thing to understand about major NCAA endorsement deals is that they're wildly complicated and generally negotiated between a coach, an AD, and an institution; my understanding of the matter specific to SU is that Boeheim's own Nike endorsement contract (which predates the Jordan Brand spinoff by many years and, to the best of my knowledge, is handled by parties affiliated with Nike and not Jordan Brand per se) is the main driver in determining who at Nike gets assigned to the Syracuse account. I can't speculate offhand as to whether it might change or if Cuse might switch to Jordan Brand or a different account team entirely if/when Boeheim leaves, but Nike takes their account extremely seriously and has for many years. (I always liked the 80's-era anecdotes about Nike producing prototype Cuse uniforms in dazzle fabric vs. Georgetown uniforms in "weathered denim" to complement their respective styles.)

I've never understood why the coach is involved in this. He's a coach. It's not his team. It's the University's team. Joe Maddon doesn't determine the Cubs' uniforms and doesn't get a piece of the action.