Why no OTTO or cheerleaders? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why no OTTO or cheerleaders?

upperdeck said:
i didnt bring it up.. but i noticed we had piped in music for the game. and is it one game? will they be there thursday or next weeks game?

SU fans LOVE piped in music. They'd rather listen to the Scorpions than even think about the fight song. They pay zero attention to the band, ignore the cheerleaders, and most hate Otto.

Seems like yesterday was exactly what they want.

You can't take a homeless guy off the street (or any other non-SU student) and put him in an Otto costume and expect it to end well.:p
Who says I expect it to go well?

Otto has to go through weeks of training at cheerleader camp in order to be fully qualified to represent Syracuse University. You can't take a homeless guy off the street (or any other non-SU student) and put him in an Otto costume and expect it to end well.

Think "Bad Santa". :p
Whatever happened to the Dome Ranger. I am sure he spent countless of weeks training at cheerleader camp along side Otto learning how to run around the Dome looking like a goof ball.

BlackKnight76 said:
There are a bunch of Ottos, but I don't know how many of the new costume they have. Doubt they wanted to drag out the old ratty one of the Otto suit wasn't available.

If Gross and Shafer found a way to get back from Texas so could have Otto. I think he should be replaced due to a lack of commitment. ;-)

not surprised if that is the case.. but if you want to be the Otto and face of the program , you need to be just as committed as the team. how many team managers didnt show up yesterday? you have 3-4 years to be part of the team experience if you want to do these types of things. maybe the kids wont do it if they have to show up for all the games?

I wonder how many of the dance team or who ever Otto is live so far away they couldnt make a trip for the game? I'm sure the parking lot attendants/bus drivers/food vendors would rather have had the day off than work during the break even with getting paid..

First off, Otto is 3-4 people, not just one. They switch off about every half, because the suit is very hot. Secondly, Otto is a full volunteer position. The ottos have to go through auditions and weeks of training, and get absolutely nothing from the school, not even the gear that the cheerleaders get. My friend, who was a mascot for several years recently, had to buy the jumpsuit that everyone else in SU athletics gets for free. Third, the cheer team/band left texas after the bowl game, and thus many didn't get home until 3-4 in the morning, depending on connections. Also, it is winter break. My friend who was Otto is from Michigan, not exactly a 15 min drive.

I'm sorry that your gameday experience was ruined, but there are people under those constumes, who actually have real lives.

Tcuse said:
Took my two young grandchildren to the game yesterday. Great game but they were both very disappointed with no Otto or other entertainment. I realize that students are on vacation but it should be possible to find a person to at least parade around for pictures as Otto, and in previous years they had cheerleaders from local High Schools which makes the many TV time outs and half time much more bearable for our young future fans in attendance.

Let it be known that is not just today's youth that are entitled.

Are you seriously breaking balls with this? One friggin' game in the middle of break a day after a bowl game in Texas?!

The nerve. Un-flippin-believable.

I'm with you...the team got back at 2am (that includes Otto...I assume he got a seat on the jet)...let's be happy it was a great sports weekend for Cuse.

it doesnt bother me otto didnt show. i was surprised the band didnt show. they would have been there for the duke game i expect.

on one hand we have big money people complaining that the duke seats might get moved and they wouldnt continue to get the best seats in the house that they spent good money for, but someone who bought cheap seats and took kids to the game who expect to see OTTO is a petty complaint...

i understand the atmosphere of the game will vary with the crowd, the atmosphere provided by the school should not vary.. and otto, cheerleaders, band are considered part of the product by most..

but then my school pep band travels all over the east coast on their own dime. just went to florida for 2 days for 2 games and got provided nothing by the school. different expectations..

BTW, Otto has a handler. I was in a picture with RaynVA and she wanted to make sure I wasn't holding a can of beer in the picture. Not sure if Orange Juice is banned too!

Yes, we had a picture taken with otto and had our opened beer cans placed in quarantine until the the photo session ended. In all seriouness, I can certainly understand why though.

it doesnt bother me otto didnt show. i was surprised the band didnt show. they would have been there for the duke game i expect.

on one hand we have big money people complaining that the duke seats might get moved and they wouldnt continue to get the best seats in the house that they spent good money for, but someone who bought cheap seats and took kids to the game who expect to see OTTO is a petty complaint...

i understand the atmosphere of the game will vary with the crowd, the atmosphere provided by the school should not vary.. and otto, cheerleaders, band are considered part of the product by most..

but then my school pep band travels all over the east coast on their own dime. just went to florida for 2 days for 2 games and got provided nothing by the school. different expectations..

Don't be too sure that they will be here for the Duke game. The band is playing at MetLife stadium before the Super Bowl the next day. Interesting dilemma.

Don't be too sure that they will be here for the Duke game. The band is playing at MetLife stadium before the Super Bowl the next day. Interesting dilemma.
Easier trip/timeline...they'll be there.

There's gotta be more then one Otto costume,no?

We will accept no imitation Ottos. None. We should have Otto and some other fuzzy friends. When we went to Arkansas last season they had this giant razorback, Boss Hog (blow up but with a person inside), and then this small version of the mascot called Pork Chop...along with the real Razorback mascot. Otto should have a sidekick.

BTW, Otto has a handler. I was in a picture with RaynVA and she wanted to make sure I wasn't holding a can of beer in the picture. Not sure if Orange Juice is banned too!

Hoffman's hot dogs are allowed. I have a picture of my son with Otto at a game from 03 or 04 where Otto was pretending to steal his hot dog. It's hilarious.

Hoffman's hot dogs are allowed. I have a picture of my son with Otto at a game from 03 or 04 where Otto was pretending to steal his hot dog. It's hilarious.
Otto is a carnivore? I thought he only liked water?

Bad Otto lol.....First Wario, then WaLuigi, now it's Waotto!

Evil_Otto_by_mynameishalo.jpg

At least Otto and the marching band were at the more important of the two games this past weekend!

Otto could have used that handler the night she got punched out by MeShaun