Why Our Centers Shouldn't Be Overlooked | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why Our Centers Shouldn't Be Overlooked

TT is also more of a legit C than Lydon is, size-wise.

Just because Rico did a commendable job at the 5 last year - out of necessity/desperation - does not mean he's going to play there much, if at all, this season.
Why would JB play him out of position, when there's zero need to this year?

i could see the possibility of a small ball run & gun lineup of gillon/frank, battle, white, robe and rico in the middle

Just because Rico did a commendable job at the 5 last year - out of necessity/desperation - does not mean he's going to play there much, if at all, this season.
Lydon may play center because it could make SU an offensive juggernaut. 4 to 5 positions on the floor could then score. And with Lydon in, spacing for the middle would really improve. The rest of the team benefits.

Also, if AW3 comes, moving Lydon to some time at center gives more minutes at the forward spots for AW3 and TR.

Yes TT is more C sized than Lydon. So was Chino. By the end of last year, Lydon was legitimately good at center. It is very hard to find good college centers, not many teams have them.

I keep reading "if we get White" and all I can think of is Dick McPherson saying, "If if's and but's were candy and nuts-----.

Given how last year played out, I would call making the Final Four gravy.

What I meant was the bizarre modern tendency to grant our tallest players an excuse to do less than the others. Dude is over 7 feet tall, and about 9 with arms up. Basket is 10.

Stuff that f%&#$*g rock, Chukwu!

Several reasons.
Lydon will be stronger by 10-15 lbs this season and better at defending inside. His true position may be PF -- but will he be "out of position" at center? Or "out of position" handling the ball on the perimeter?
Lydon was better than Coleman at center.
Can Chukwu make a move and score inside against a legit center? Lydon can.
Lydon's shooting range can force the opposing center to try to cover him away from the basket.
Chukwu and Roberson as a combination has limitations -- not going to get ball movement, shooting, or scoring from those two.

The only scenario where Lydon would not play minutes at center: White goes elsewhere, and neither Battle nor Moyer can contribute at SF.

Thanks for a very good article that started to get me excited about the upcoming season! I had been tamping the old id down because I wanted to enjoy the summer and fall and not just " Live for next year." But now it is almost upon us!

Besides, it is really a lot of fun to say "Chukwu" out loud over and over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom