Why? | Syracusefan.com

Why?

GooseMutt

All Conference
I was just reviewing our 2018 recruiting list and the crystal ball predictions. Many of these players already have strong leans towards other schools. Maryland, Butler St Johns Providence and even Uconn. We aren't even warm anywhere. We are being out recruited by St Johns. I know we beat this topic to death but If we have this many not showing interest we need to move on and find others before this blows up in our face. Why do we still carry them on the list? My concerns continue to elevate.

We'll go with the best scenario of a kid coming to play in the 2017 class. November of your senior year JB will be 77 years old. How realistic is it that he'll still be an effective coach at 77 years old?

Without knowing specifics to each kid, I think JB's age and ambiguity around his tenure is a very real concern and problem overall in our recruiting. It is a huge hurdle for a lot of kids to become comfortable with the idea that when you commit to a school there's a legitimate chance that there will be an entirely new coaching staff in place by the time you graduate.

If I'm a coach of another school I tell a kid in the 2018 class, think of everyone you know who is 78 years old. Do you think they would be a good basketball coach for a high performing ACC school and get you best prepared for the next level, recruit well to surround you with good teammates and be on top of things from an X's and O's perspective to help put you in the best position to win.

We'll go with the best scenario of a kid coming to play in the 2017 class. November of your senior year JB will be 77 years old. How realistic is it that he'll still be an effective coach at 77 years old?

Without knowing specifics to each kid, I think JB's age and ambiguity around his tenure is a very real concern and problem overall in our recruiting. It is a huge hurdle for a lot of kids to become comfortable with the idea that when you commit to a school there's a legitimate chance that there will be an entirely new coaching staff in place by the time you graduate.

If I'm a coach of another school I tell a kid in the 2018 class, think of everyone you know who is 78 years old. Do you think they would be a good basketball coach for a high performing ACC school and get you best prepared for the next level, recruit well to surround you with good teammates and be on top of things from an X's and O's perspective to help put you in the best position to win.
Good point. Sad but true

I was just reviewing our 2018 recruiting list and the crystal ball predictions. Many of these players already have strong leans towards other schools. Maryland, Butler St Johns Providence and even Uconn. We aren't even warm anywhere. We are being out recruited by St Johns. I know we beat this topic to death but If we have this many not showing interest we need to move on and find others before this blows up in our face. Why do we still carry them on the list? My concerns continue to elevate.
Because they are 2018 and those Cyrstal Meth predictions are a joke. Kids don't commit early anymore so I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Also, not to bring up a touchy subject, but Quade was a big Cuse lean until very late. I wouldn't put too much weight into any of these predictions.

If kids want to be here they'll be here.

Exactly the problem. And why the JB extension meant absolutely nothing. It was like trying to patch a gun shot wound with a Sponge Bob band-aid.

Kids don't want to play for a coach that likely won't be around for long, especially when that timeline is extremely uncertain. Many also don't want to play for a coach in his 70's who will trash any and everybody on his team in pressers, one who also plays zone 1000000% of the time.

giphy.gif

Crystal Ball predictions are 100% accurate, right?

JFC. Kids aren't even committed and somehow we're being "out recruited". If you're getting this upset about Syracuse basketball take some time off. It's the offseason.

JFC. Kids aren't even committed and somehow we're being "out recruited". If you're getting this upset about Syracuse basketball take some time off. It's the offseason.
Personally, I love recruiting. For both basketball and football. But, for every important or must get recruit we've lost, or any game we've lost for that matter, the sun has risen the next day. And, there is always another must get recruit and another game. This is fun, frustrating at times, but a welcome distraction from work. Oh crap, I forgot, I have work to do.

SU is a sitting duck with recruiting right now. The only hope we have is to get under the radar kids to commit before they talk to any other teams. Every single coach is sitting in their living rooms with their parents saying "JB won't be there for your sophomore season, there will be a new, unknown coach, who won't be loyal to you."

JB needs to go.

I don't want to take time off. Should I go sit w Boeheim at the barbecue joint. You want to leave all our eggs in a weak basket instead of moving forward looking at more realistic options. Crystal ball not always accurate but somewhat of an indicator. Finding solid 4 year guys would be great but would Coach be there senior year

Serious question. How many 18-22 year old kids want to play for a 75 year old?

Why?

The real why, is why do we have to have endless new threads where people can puke up their angst over SU Basketball recruiting in April? Thread after thread repeating itself. And these threads aren't even enough, because the same thing has to be repeated in each players thread.

If you are doing it, you have a very unhealthy attachment to SU basketball. You need to step away. you need to breath. You need to take a break...

And for the love of god, could we please condense all the angst to one FREAKING thread, and stop filling all of them full of how everyone associated with SU basketball is doing everything wrong, and life would only be so much better if they would just listen to you.

Please leave the players threads for information relevant to the actual player.

SU is a sitting duck with recruiting right now. The only hope we have is to get under the radar kids to commit before they talk to any other teams. Every single coach is sitting in their living rooms with their parents saying "JB won't be there for your sophomore season, there will be a new, unknown coach, who won't be loyal to you."

JB needs to go.

I think when Hop went to Washington we missed a perfect opportunity to make a clean transition into the next era of Syracuse basketball.

Boeheim is actually 72. Coach K is 70 and he doesn't seem to have any problem getting 18-22 year olds to play for him.

There are additional metrics to just being younger where Coach K has an advantage over JB that helps in those matters.

And he will be 75 when the class of 2017 recruits are in the fall of their junior season.

Why?

The real why, is why do we have to have endless new threads where people can puke up their angst over SU Basketball recruiting in April? Thread after thread repeating itself. And these threads aren't even enough, because the same thing has to be repeated in each players thread.

If you are doing it, you have a very unhealthy attachment to SU basketball. You need to step away. you need to breath. You need to take a break...

And for the love of god, could we please condense all the angst to one FREAKING thread, and stop filling all of them full of how everyone associated with SU basketball is doing everything wrong, and life would only be so much better if they would just listen to you.

I believe you have the option to ignore plus why do you respond to a thread that upsets you? Why not do your own thing where you want to. I don't get it your opinion is just that

Serious question. How many 18-22 year old kids want to play for a 75 year old?

This is such a lazy (not you specifically, but the board in general) way of explaining what has been some disappointing three seasons in syracuse basketball. K is two years younger than JB. Roy is six years younger but might as well be 90 with the way he talks. Pitino is 64 years old but looks like a wax museum figure. Cal is much younger, obviously, at 58 but he's basically these kids' best friends. What 22-year-old has a lot of 58-year-old pals?

The bottom line is that JB's age probably isn't helping him but it's not like putting a 35-year-old in charge magically erases all that. Kids that are 16 and 17 (when they're taking visits) view 35-year-olds as ancient (rightfully so). There are issues here and JB's age and general demeanor/interaction with his players is likely one of them. But don't be lazy -- we're not losing players to Duke b/c K is two years younger.

Exactly the problem. And why the JB extension meant absolutely nothing. It was like trying to patch a gun shot wound with a Sponge Bob band-aid.

Kids don't want to play for a coach that likely won't be around for long, especially when that timeline is extremely uncertain. Many also don't want to play for a coach in his 70's who will trash any and everybody on his team in pressers, one who also plays zone 1000000% of the time.

I think JB's interaction with today's players could be an issue, but come on dude. I'm interested in your response to this: Will you fire the next coach if he doesn't get to a final four in his first year? I ask this b/c we are literally a season removed from a Final Four team and FIVE MONTHS removed from fielding a roster half the people on this board thought was going to take us back to another final four.

It's been discouraging in the regular season -- FF run aside -- since the Ennis team struggled down the stretch but comparing the state of the program to a gunshot wound is the type of comment that makes message boards unreadable at times.

Why?

I totally agree with this. I have concerns about the direction of the program right now and generally agree with some of the thoughts expressed. But it does seem like we have had multiple threads discussing it and it even gets into the individual player threads.

Last edited:
Why?

I approve this message

I don't want to take time off. Should I go sit w Boeheim at the barbecue joint. You want to leave all our eggs in a weak basket instead of moving forward looking at more realistic options. Crystal ball not always accurate but somewhat of an indicator. Finding solid 4 year guys would be great but would Coach be there senior year
So would you prefer Jim Boeheim doesn't eat food?

Our basket is perfectly fine, it's people like you freaking out because a kid doesn't immediately commit or provide daily updates on his status.

The crystal ball is a load of bollocks. Just something for bored recruiting writers to do. Just like projecting bracketology and the NFL draft. Once a commitment happens it doesn't matter where the "crystal ball" projected he was going to go.

I was under the impression the hot, warm, cold stuff is all just the player promoting that team on social media or they visit that team, that's how it is for football at least, those change regularly over the course of months.

I think JB's interaction with today's players could be an issue, but come on dude. I'm interested in your response to this: Will you fire the next coach if he doesn't get to a final four in his first year? I ask this b/c we are literally a season removed from a Final Four team and FIVE MONTHS removed from fielding a roster half the people on this board thought was going to take us back to another final four.

It's been discouraging in the regular season -- FF run aside -- since the Ennis team struggled down the stretch but comparing the state of the program to a gunshot wound is the type of comment that makes message boards unreadable at times.
Huh? What does my comment have to do with our next coach?

My comparison was to equate how small of an impact I think the extension has to how little impact a band-aid would have. Nothing more.

We're in a 3 year rut with no end in sight. That's the reality of the situation, and the 2016 FF is long in the rear view. JB's age, uncertainty about how long he'll be here, the zone and so on are all factors that can and will continue to be used against the program in recruiting. If we were coming off 3 very successful seasons, then it wouldn't be as big of a deal, but we're not in that situation, unfortunately.

Huh? What does my comment have to do with our next coach?

My comparison was to equate how small of an impact I think the extension has to how little impact a band-aid would have. Nothing more.

We're in a 3 year rut with no end in sight. That's the reality of the situation, and the 2016 FF is long in the rear view. JB's age, uncertainty about how long he'll be here, the zone and so on are all factors that can and will continue to be used against the program in recruiting. If we were coming off 3 very successful seasons, then it wouldn't be as big of a deal, but we're not in that situation, unfortunately.
If the Final Four is long in the rear view, then wouldn't the two regular seasons that preceded it be even farther behind us?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom