Wildhack rolls the dice! | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack rolls the dice!

From what I've read and heard Brown soaks in info and isn't afraid to ask if he doesn't know, thus always learning to improve.
I LOVE this, especially stacked up with the fact that he seems to have really good relationships with people he's played for/worked with in the past... like Rhule. If he's not afraid to pick up the phone and call and ask questions, and he and Rhule remain tight, he's going to get good answers and great advice.

I think one of the keys to Fran Brown as a person is that by all accounts he's genuine and authentic. He's done stuff to help Rhule (like feeding him transfers from UGA when it's in everyone's best interest), so it's a two way street there.

If there is a HS guy for example people will need to relax about it and trust FB. It's not uncommon for programs to promote a HS guy; you see this in Florida and Texas. They're good coaches, they connect and recruit. We will certainly need experience but doing it 'the old way' doesn't make it right. Young hungry guys are innovative.

Likewise, it seems like he believes the key to recruiting is authenticity - so if he taps a young up and comer as a position coach and leaves some people scratching their heads, I think we can assume he sees some of himself in them, thinks they're going to kill it recruiting, and has seen enough to believe they can coach kids up. I welcome that.

Wildhack sure did roll the dice. To date he's made safe no frills hires. This one is a huge risk and really outside of the box and I'm still not even sure what to think of it. I definitely fear it.

I surmise some of it has to do with pumping life into a slumping fan base. If he nails a few big recruits it starts to get people excited. The easier schedule in 2024 should be manageable not to fall flat on our faces out of the gate. Some real recruiting wins and a winning season in 2024 will make money.

He needed to turn the energy around. There wasn't really anyone outside of Mullen or Cignetti who was going to do that and they're looking for a homerun not a single. IB described it perfectly about not choking up on the bat.

I'm with Bnoro on young energetic hungry coaches. But I think a mix of some grey and young is good. Young will be seen as going on the cheap but this is where I think Brown will know what he's doing. If there is a HS guy for example people will need to relax about it and trust FB. It's not uncommon for programs to promote a HS guy; you see this in Florida and Texas. They're good coaches, they connect and recruit. We will certainly need experience but doing it 'the old way' doesn't make it right. Young hungry guys are innovative.

Cautiously optimistic.
Agreed.
But honestly...what do we have to lose? Over the last decade, we are one game above UVA for the worst conference record in the ACC. For a number of reasons, we have sucked for far too long.
I'm all in for rolling the dice w/ Brown. If he faceplants, we start over. But...if he is a HR? The possibilities will be endless.

Again, do we need to take that risk given where our program currently stands? If we were going 3-9 every year, sure. That is a small risk because things wouldn't really get that much worse (like Colorado). If we our program were stable and we were just looking to take the next step, sure. In that case we can absorb the risk. It would be a short term blip (like Clemson). But where we are as a program it is a big risk. If it fails you are in complete rebuild mode which is much worse than where we currently stand.

We do not know if there is a big reward. If SU has a ceiling what is the reward, 8-5 seasons (like Maryland)? Is it worth taking a big risk to go from 7-6 to 8-5? If you believe that we can still churn out 10-3 seasons every year, then sure there is a reward. I don't believe that is possible for any non factory program in the ACC. Even if it is possible, Brown would be gone after the 1st 10-3 season. So we are taking a big risk for a chance at having another 2018. For me, that isn't worth. What is this big reward you speak of?

The program currently stands a 6-6. The risk is what ?

So who would you have hired as the program currently stands?

Last edited:
Realistically, can we lock down NJ? No.

But having Fran/Partridge/Smoke goes a LONG way towards getting those players ranked 10-50 in the state
Exactly, and one thing that surprises me... at least on our board, it seems like some folks took JW's mention of "northeast roots" to mean New England.

Which is the inferior talent source to New Jersey.

And we got the guy with arguably the best "northeast roots" in New Jersey.

That's a big deal.

So who would you have hired as the program currently stands?

I would have preferred anyone who was on the list of realistic candidates, preferably one that had Northeastern ties.

Every HC hire is a risk. Some are bigger risks than others. Any reward will be short term. So you don't get a whole lot for taking a bigger risk.

If we were Colorado pre Deion, BC pre Hafley, Maryland pre Locksley, Clemson pre Dabo, we wouldn't have a lot to lose and we can afford to take that risk. IMO we have a lot to lose so I wouldn't have taken the risk.

I would have preferred anyone who was on the list of realistic candidates, preferably one that had Northeastern ties.

Every HC hire is a risk. Some are bigger risks than others. Any reward will be short term. So you don't get a whole lot for taking a bigger risk.

If we were Colorado pre Deion, BC pre Hafley, Maryland pre Locksley, Clemson pre Dabo, we wouldn't have a lot to lose and we can afford to take that risk. IMO we have a lot to lose so I wouldn't have taken the risk.

from what I understand hiring Chesney or Candle would've been a complete reboot.

No matter who is/was coaching the team next year they need to get a QB, otherwise Saban, Day, Smart couldn't win with our roster either.

I have no idea if this will work out or not so I will shut up and support the decision, but I do know that of the three "finalists", Brown is the riskiest.
Jason Candle and Bob Chesney both had years of successful HC experience.

Advantages
  • Likely to get some buzz if only because Brown is a Georgia guy.
  • Smart will give him a good send-off.
  • He does have some extensive recruiting experience in the NE
  • He has seen the best program in the country up close.
  • Georgia is disciplined
  • He must have had one helluva interview so he can sell himself.
  • The kids will probably love him and be impressed with his Georgia cred.
Risks
  • His recruiting at Georgia doesn't impress much as most could recruit for Georgia.
  • His recruiting at Rutgers does not seem to be anything special.
  • A position coach has the biggest jump to HC
  • Rivals will negatively recruit against us for his inexperience
  • He might have a tough time putting a good staff together.
  • No bump in ticket sales.
  • Criticism from the press.
Wildhack has swung for the fences. He will either be hailed as a genius or a turkey. We all need to hope he connects!
I am all in because - well, why not!
Has anyone said why he isn't starting this job today? We're taking a chance on a DB coach who hasn't yet been a coordinator, and everyone thinks it's a good idea to finish the SEC season at GA? Imagine the reverse situation, it'd never happen. There is a LOT of work to do up there with the portal days away. I know he can use the phone, but waiting to come up here until after his SEC game is unimpressive. IMO he should have nothing better to do than start immediately up here...I'm fine with the hire as this ship has had no real rudder for years...

Has anyone said why he isn't starting this job today? We're taking a chance on a DB coach who hasn't yet been a coordinator, and everyone thinks it's a good idea to finish the SEC season at GA? Imagine the reverse situation, it'd never happen. There is a LOT of work to do up there with the portal days away. I know he can use the phone, but waiting to come up here until after his SEC game is unimpressive. IMO he should have nothing better to do than start immediately up here...I'm fine with the hire as this ship has had no real rudder for years...
I don’t have a problem with it at all. His players are fighting for championship.

I have no problem with him staying for their next game if that is what he chooses.

My fear is that it doesn’t work out and in 2027, Bob Chesney is at UCONN with crap talent beating us.

That literally is a fear.
Then Chesney will have addressed the lack of experience at this level and we just hire him away. We could certainly outbid UConn or any MAC-type school that would be the next logical stepping stone for him.

Same deal if Fran is successful and moves on. Except that we might have a promote from within alternative if he brings in some heavyweight coordinators.

The fear would be if BC grabs BC first.

Who knows what he's doing behind the scenes as far as recruiting- portal, asst coaches, players, etc.
Besides we're not talking months here- it's only a coupla weeks.

I have a question. Has Coach Brown visited the Syracuse University Campus? I realize the timing of the search/hire don’t exactly mesh with the SEC Championship Game coming up but if it was me I sure a heck would want to know exactly what I was getting myself and my family into. The way this unfolded is very strange.

I have a question. Has Coach Brown visited the Syracuse University Campus? I realize the timing of the search/hire don’t exactly mesh with the SEC Championship Game coming up but if it was me I sure a heck would want to know exactly what I was getting myself and my family into. The way this unfolded is very strange.
Doesn't sound like it.

He was on staff at Rutgers when they beat us in the Dome in 2021. So he's been there before.

This is a legit high risk high reward situation. The questions are many but the potential to find a diamond in the rough is there.

The biggest question is is he smart enough. Smart enough to make proper on the field in game decisions. Smart enough to put together an effective, And most importantly experienced In the ways he is not, staff and managing them yes, but still letting them do their thing.

Is he smart enough to install discipline, this by NOT being every kids friend, tough love and not being a “players coach”. And is he smart enough to know then implement the out of the box thinking with X’s and O’s And players alike that’ll be necessary to succeed at a school like syracuse.

This position requires lots of smarts, and I’d imagine in the interview process this is what they were trying to glean and decipher.

So if this really is a done deal he must have absolutely killed it in his interviews assuaging any concerns about his “smarts” or at least his potential in that regard.

So with all the known-positives he has in his cache and with this one big issue being addressed that’s all we can go from and support the guy going forward, at least until and after the first game in sept. ‘24, hoping for a Mac like ascent and not a gerg like decent and cratering. As always, time will tell
I do not love this hire, but am willing to see how he does. I just hope we have not roped ourselves into another long term contract with no escape clause for unsatisfactory performance. Risky hire, but do not know of any without risk. I do know that a change had to be made.

Agree 100%, we really have no idea what he will do as a HC because he has never been one. How he will operate etc. We do know that he should update the talent level that is currently on the team, everything else is a total crap shoot. If he is one of the great coaches, he will get it done. hire good staff, motivate, innovate etc.

It's just a total guess right now what this team will look like on the field the next few years, I mean it truly could be anything. That's why it's such a huge gamble and that is fine with me. Willing to roll the dice
We are all hoping for a big turnaround.
Some things about Fran Brown to think about. Coming from where he grew up in New Jersey, he would know the tradition that Syracuse has.
He previously coached at Temple, Baylor, and Rutgers, helped bring those programs back.
Has stated about recruiting, if a player talks to me why wouldn't you chose me?
If he turns the program around after 3 years why leave?
Getting to the playoffs would be easier here then in the SEC.
And with his background he could challenge any school for recruits in the DMV, and Northeast.

he is a DB coach and should immediately be FT here in Syracuse imo. The portal is opening soon and 100% of his attention should be here. 100%. Yes it is strange allowing him to be the DB coach for Georgia's 900th SEC Championship.

he is a DB coach and should immediately be FT here in Syracuse imo. The portal is opening soon and 100% of his attention should be here. 100%. Yes it is strange allowing him to be the DB coach for Georgia's 900th SEC Championship.
Obviously your opinion is not shared with those making the decisions.

He is doing the equivalent of putting in a two week notice to his current employer out of respect, and I imagine he is able to game prep for Bama while also prepping for this.

I would not be surprised to see us land at least two transfers by Tuesday morning.

He is putting in work.

He is not the first to coach out a championship week and won't be the last

He is doing the equivalent of putting in a two week notice to his current employer out of respect, and I imagine he is able to game prep for Bama while also prepping for this.

I would not be surprised to see us land at least two transfers by Tuesday morning.

He is putting in work.

He is not the first to coach out a championship week and won't be the last
yeah at the end of the day, it's 4 days really. Also, sometimes we just need to take a breath, this isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme. Let him coach with his players one last game. They live and breathe this stuff and I get it. Some would, some wouldn't. Glad he is and not surprised. And hey, maybe Kirby asked hey give me until the SEC championship game and Coach said will do. Kirby can switch gears after as their next game isn't for 3-4 weeks. I mean they are trying to 3 peat

yeah at the end of the day, it's 4 days really. Also, sometimes we just need to take a breath, this isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme. Let him coach with his players one last game. They live and breathe this stuff and I get it. Some would, some wouldn't. Glad he is and not surprised. And hey, maybe Kirby asked hey give me until the SEC championship game and Coach said will do. Kirby can switch gears after as their next game isn't for 3-4 weeks. I mean they are trying to 3 peat
I'm looking forward to the shot of him on the sideline while the announcers mention he's on his way to SU. In front of what may be the largest TV audience for a college football game this season to date.

Then Chesney will have addressed the lack of experience at this level and we just hire him away. We could certainly outbid UConn or any MAC-type school that would be the next logical stepping stone for him.

Same deal if Fran is successful and moves on. Except that we might have a promote from within alternative if he brings in some heavyweight coordinators.

The fear would be if BC grabs BC first.
The more i look into Chesney im not sure if he would be a good fit for Syracuse. He has been at Catholic schools a good portion of his