Will Boeheim win another title? | Syracusefan.com

Will Boeheim win another title?

No one knows for sure. But I am in the probably not camp. The key to success in college basketball has increasingly become consistent 3 point shooting.

In the Syracuse system, shooting takes a back seat to long athletic defenders. This will help you win a bunch of games, but it makes stringing 6 passable offensive performances in a row quite difficult against NCAA tournament caliber teams.

I don't think so, I think 2010 was our best shot (I will never live this down) or 2012, for the record even with Fab I think we fall to Kentucky in the NC and their six first round picks.

2010 was the perfect team. 2 post players, 2 slash and drive guys, 2 good 3 pt shooters. I mean it sucks so much to think if AO doesn't get hurt.
We probably play Duke for all the marbles and I liked our chances in that matchup.

I don't see it happening next year with our team. I don't follow recruiting enough to know how our 2015 class really is.

2010 was the perfect team. 2 post players, 2 slash and drive guys, 2 good 3 pt shooters. I mean it sucks so much to think if AO doesn't get hurt.
We probably play Duke for all the marbles and I liked our chances in that matchup.

I don't see it happening next year with our team. I don't follow recruiting enough to know how our 2015 class really is.

1. Malachi Richardson for 2015 (top 25sg)-Supposedly a shooter
2. Tyler Lydon for 2015 (Will be top 50 wing)-Prototypical wing for the zone.

AFAIK 2015 class is shaping up to be a good one based on expected talent but after being excited for Tyler Roberson (NJ Player of the Year) this year and Cooney (best pure SG in the class) and Rak (AA) last year and DC2(AA) ... well, I don't put too much hope in recruits stepping in and leading teams to championships. And even less so if people are talking one-n-done before they've even had a college practice. The last guy that was one and done before Ennis was Donte Green and his dynasty (ahem).

In order to do better, the teams need an infusion of capable talent to play Boeheim's system. Triche was never the best guy on the court, but he was perfect for what Boeheim needed/wanted out of him.

Getting a bunch of top-100 recruits isn't great when they can't show that they can play in a college system or can't develop when faced with legitimate competition. It's one thing to dominate a bunch of 6'3" power forwards in HS, but a whole 'nother ball game playing against someone as talented as you are.

No... Too many things have to happen well in order for him to win a NC... I'll be hard pressed if we see another FF... Anyways, he has BUILT this program. I will always appreciate that

Yes.

I believe.
Yes! Always, Always have to believe! That's the best part of being a fan! It's part of enjoying the ride, and is the ultimate goal every year. everyone knows only 1 team will win it all, so why not us! I start every year being all in, and no matter how things end up during the course of the season, as long as we make the tourney anything can happen...

Why not. Our seeds in the NCAA Tourney the past 6 years have been (3,1,3,1,4,3). If Coach goes another 4-5 years I think we get at least one more FF and once you're in the FF anything can happen.

Agreed.

Why not. Our seeds in the NCAA Tourney the past 6 years have been (3,1,3,1,4,3). If Coach goes another 4-5 years I think we get at least one more FF and once you're in the FF anything can happen.

Can we go under that trend and assume we are a 1 seed next year?

We are the classic A-/B+ team. We are always a contender, but I have no faith in the foreseeable future we will win another NC. This season CBB was down and we slogged our way thru a season where we had a chance if we played well, but saw no change. I don't expect another title unless we get another Melo like talent.

The odds are never in the favor of any one coach. That said, I see no reason to stop believing. Somebody's got to win it every season. Why not?

I remember Jake stating he liked our team next year, but loved 2014-15. Now, I'm sure he only said that with the thought we'd have both Grant and Ennis. I have to believe he will win one more. We've taken our lumps lately. Suspensions, injuried, etc., like everybody. Maybe the karma gods help us out!

Nope boeheim thinks the three point game is a passing fancy. Game has passed him by. He's still stuck with BB played with peach baskets.

If he doesn't win another title, I won't see it as a knock against him. Winning an NCAA championship is VERY difficult.

Halfmooncuse said:
Nope boeheim thinks the three point game is a passing fancy. Game has passed him by. He's still stuck with BB played with peach baskets.

What a load of crap. We run all sorts of sets to get Cooney free, GMAC 6 threes in the 1st 1/2 national championship, etc.

I think the 2-3 zone is very favorable towards the new rules so I'll give him a 20% chance. Outside the obvious 3 point shooting deficiencies, you really need things to fall the right way. Florida is still the favorite at this point, not because they're the obvious best team but because the Southern Region just fell apart over the weekend. Luck plays a significant role in determining the college champion, more so than any other major sport.

If he doesn't win another title, I won't see it as a knock against him. Winning an NCAA championship is VERY difficult.
Yeah, I really wish that the NCAA tournament didn't get the vast majority of attention. VA won a major conference regular season and post-season tournament, but if they get bumped by MSU in a single game elimination, it's all kind of lost. I agree with Boeheim that not enough attention is paid to regular season accomplishments. Winning a lot of college basketball games is exceptionally difficult made even more so with as much player turn over as there is.

Well, if we project that Jimmy will retire in 5 years - give or take - the odds against any one time winning a NC within any given 5 year period are long.

However, that being said, if Ennis and Jerami both return then I have to think we have as good a shot as anybody else next season though we will clearly need another three point threat to emerge.

Why not? He has put this program in a position to be a serious contender for the NC in each of the past 4 years and the future looks like more of the same. Most people don't realize that you can't really do much more than that in this sport. Nobody can garauntee a championship in a sport like college basketball, what you need to do is be capable of seriously contending for it and we are. Lament next year all you want, but until proven otherwise, why should we feel it won't be a good year (even without TE and JG)?

What a load of crap. We run all sorts of sets to get Cooney free, GMAC 6 threes in the 1st 1/2 national championship, etc.
He doesn't recruit shooters. He recruits personnel that fits his zone D. Please tell me how many shooters this team has on it. Christ, he won't let anyone even play if they don't know his zone. Coney would be a lot better if he played on a team that had shooters. On SU he's the only one so he has to run ten miles every game trying to get open for his six shots on the run. All teams know this so they pack the paint shorten the game and no matter how their athletes stack up against SU they are in the game and eventually given the number of games they are played this way they win. SU had how many games that went to the wire and either won or lost a close game. Only Va beat SU convincingly. How many times we all would like to see SU beat up teams early and win convincingly. Yeah the recruiting is rated high but we lose to so many teams that dont have the same quality athletes. But the zone keeps it close and our athletes can't shoot. It's a three point game now and you recruit and play d and o accordingly. PS Gmac played how many years ago and who did he play with. Drink the kool aid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom