Will next year's DEs be able to generate a pass rush | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Will next year's DEs be able to generate a pass rush

2? The top THREE guys on the list were defensive ends, no? I count five on that list.

Gregory was a NT. Pettijohn came in as a LB and was one the guys Coach P moved up to DE as he became know to do that. But yeah, Duke was a DE.

I never said these kids were better than any of them. I said they're on par, as good as if not better at the same stage.

Gregory was a NT. Pettijohn came in as a LB and was one the guys Coach P moved up to DE as he became know to do that. But yeah, Duke was a DE.

I never said these kids were better than any of them. I said they're on par, as good as if not better at the same stage.

Gregory was a NT, but he's far down the list. I see Green, Freeney, and Pettijohn atop the list. Three DEs.

I'm not going to belabor this, as it is a fun topic / not trying to be argumentative. But I'd say the current two have a LONG way to go before they can be considered anywhere in the ballpark of being as good a pass rusher as a Duke Pettijohn, let alone a Freeney.

there are many ways to create a pass rush.. One is just superior speed.quickness like Freeney. But even then you need strength to complete the moves and playing young undersized guys that early isnt doing them any favors. they got experience so they know what they need to work on, they will surely add size and strength, who knows if they will get any quicker. hard to tell if any of them become a better edge rusher, but they will all be better at pushing the pocket, holding the edge and fighting with their hands to create pressure a year from now.

I agree with OiG's post above--there will be exceptions here and there, but the vast majority of players we recruit would benefit from having a redshirt year. Have to get to the point where we're doing that for nearly all of every recruiting class, at which point it becomes a sustainable thing.

Yes -- especially at positions in the OL, DL, LBs. Not necessarily at WR or DB or RB (thinking of our commit Pierre).

This roster is a lot closer to where it should be than you assume. We need better quality among the starters, but we surely have sufficient depth to allow the staff to red-shirt at positions where red-shirting is most likely to help. OL -- everyone back, plus they red-shirted the entire 2016 class. LBs -- all 3 starters back, plus Armstrong and spares. DL -- 7 players back from the rotation, plus Nelson who red-shirted. And among the OL and DL, there are no seniors other than McGloster -- so it is a sustainable thing.

Gregory was a NT, but he's far down the list. I see Green, Freeney, and Pettijohn atop the list. Three DEs.

I'm not going to belabor this, as it is a fun topic / not trying to be argumentative. But I'd say the current two have a LONG way to go before they can be considered anywhere in the ballpark of being as good a pass rusher as a Duke Pettijohn, let alone a Freeney.

sorry meant Tim Green duh on me. He played both spots though LB&DE.

Yes -- especially at positions in the OL, DL, LBs. Not necessarily at WR or DB or RB (thinking of our commit Pierre).

This roster is a lot closer to where it should be than you assume. We need better quality among the starters, but we surely have sufficient depth to allow the staff to red-shirt at positions where red-shirting is most likely to help. OL -- everyone back, plus they red-shirted the entire 2016 class. LBs -- all 3 starters back, plus Armstrong and spares. DL -- 7 players back from the rotation, plus Nelson who red-shirted. And among the OL and DL, there are no seniors other than McGloster -- so it is a sustainable thing.

What did I "assume?"

Not following what you "inferred" from my post. ; )

LaCasse went to my highschool (many years later albeit) and he was an incredible runner. I think won the state 100. I always wondered if he would have been a good H back or Middle Linebacker vs speed rusher. Certainly he was on the worst of the worst SU teams but who knows.
I had a class with him our freshman year and I couldn't believe it when he said he had to gain like 60lbs or something. He couldn't have been more than 6-1, 220 as a freshman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom