Will SU outperform the season's expectations? | Syracusefan.com

Will SU outperform the season's expectations?

SU94

Starter
Wow, in reading a bunch of pre-season projections, it seems that we truly are under-the-radar.
This is a bit surprising, but I take this as a positive. It usually is for JAB’s program.

A few choice observations:
  • Most acknowledge AW3 is a talent, but I don’t think they give this former All-B1G performer enough credit. This year, he won’t have to do everything like he did at Nebraska as their best player. This year, he can be part of the machine. His scoring might dip a bit, but that should not be his primary indicator of success. He’s going to be playing (a lot) on a winning team for the first time since his high school days. I think this simple fact is going to invigorate him.
  • It appears that no one, including us, knows much about John Gillon or how good he can be. Call it lazy if you want, I call it reality (what do you know about Colorado State hoops?). I just think that the position combo of Gillon and F.Howard is going to be a pleasant surprise.
  • Using the eye test, I have found that prognosticators and even computer hacks (example: J.Palm) do not properly recognize or acknowledge the value of versatility. Ladies and gentlemen, Jim Boeheim has more lineup options at his disposal than he’s enjoyed since arguably 1989. There could be times/games where this versatility is a hindrance, especially early in the season. But I bet he’s thrilled to be so "multiple" every night.
  • Who know how long Pascual will play every night, but in many ways, prognosticators are underestimating what a 7-foot-2 center can do for this team defensively. He can/will still get stronger, but understand that this is not Billy Celuk. This guy is going to alter shots within 12 feet of the hoop when he is in the game.
  • Lastly, this roster is OLD. We are Pitt-esk circa 2009. I both love and hate it (nervous about next year). I don’t have a listing of the players birthdays, so I cannot compute it that way, but our 9-rotation includes a trio of 5th-year players and a 4th-year guy. On average, JAB’s 9 primary contributors sport 2.1 years of previous college experience (that’s before they play one game this year). In an sport that gets younger every year, this is not insignificant.

I am so happy about our versatility with nine scholarship players competing! But I was taking a walk this afternoon with a dear friend who is a Duke fan (don't hate, both of our husbands went to Duke) and when we stopped obsessing about current events, she asked me about SU and I asked her about Duke, and she said, "For the first time ever we have THIRTEEN scholarship players." Honestly, I threw up in my mouth a little bit, but didn't let her know.

Nevertheless, our bench strength is so heartening and Boeheim is a magician. The inevitable conclusion is that after we work out some kinks, we are going to be a fabulous team!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom