Wilson in the new O | Syracusefan.com

Wilson in the new O

kcsu

Living Legend
I have always thought that from Wilson is without a doubt our best pure passer. He seems to lack pocket awareness and he is not the best runner. In looking at a few of the BG games there are two attributes that are key for a QB in this O. One making correct quick reads and two being very accurate. Wilson has number two down pat and he throws a nice deep ball. If it clicks for him this year i could actually see him pushing for playing time.

I have always thought that from Wilson is without a doubt our best pure passer. He seems to lack pocket awareness and he is not the best runner. In looking at a few of the BG games there are two attributes that are key for a QB in this O. One making correct quick reads and two being very accurate. Wilson has number two down pat and he throws a nice deep ball. If it clicks for him this year i could actually see him pushing for playing time.

I like Wilson, but I just don't think we have the line to protect him. Also, I think he lacks touch on his short passes. All this adds up to him riding the bench again this year.

No real thought on this other than we need to prep him to be ready to play...no idea if Rex C. will be ready so Austin W. needs to be ready.

Wilson's attitude, dedication, and effort are great assets. He does throw a nice ball and I understand why many believe that equates to being a good QB. Unfortunately, to date anyway, he has not shown the accuracy, foot quickness, or ability to read coverages that most offenses demand.

CuseLegacy said:
Wilson is probably not going to be a factor in the rotation.
Never a good sign when a walk on QB and a true frosh WR immediately pass you on the depth chart.

If anything, The Babers system demands more mentally from the QB, which IMHO doesn't favor Austin.

Still, a new system is a fresh start for everyone and maybe now something will click and Wilson will emerge. I hope so.

Wilson has a strong arm but no real feel for the position it feels like, from seeing him in limited action. He's one of those passing drill wonders who, when you put him in a game situation, doesn't perform.

Dungey is a near perfect fit. I wonder if him being our QB helped lure Babers at all...

In the "Behind the Scenes" video of Babers' first day, Dino says to Eric "my guys tell me you're really good."

Dungey has not demonstrated the most important ability - availability. Whoever is second on the depth chart is likely to see significant action. New system, new staff - second chance for Wilson.

He has seen limited action because of the emergence od Dungey and Lester running the TO with Mahoney. He won't dislodge Dungey, but he could easily be #2 again and see significant PT.

I think he will do an excellent job of holding a clipboard in this offense.

Crusty said:
Dungey has not demonstrated the most important ability - availability. Whoever is second on the depth chart is likely to see significant action. New system, new staff - second chance for Wilson. He has seen limited action because of the emergence od Dungey and Lester running the TO with Mahoney. He won't dislodge Dungey, but he could easily be #2 again and see significant PT.

He got passed by everyone at the position. I agree he's got a second chance - but it will be for #2-4. Culpepper could jump him and the kid from Louisiana could be better out of the chute.

We'll see.

Dungey has not demonstrated the most important ability - availability. Whoever is second on the depth chart is likely to see significant action. New system, new staff - second chance for Wilson.

He has seen limited action because of the emergence od Dungey and Lester running the TO with Mahoney. He won't dislodge Dungey, but he could easily be #2 again and see significant PT.

Man, that would be interesting if they could turn Wilson into a productive QB in this system. Would show you how accommodating this offense is for any kind of QB, mediocre or otherwise in other offenses. How many different systems has Wilson seen so far?

kcsu said:
Briles has always said his quarterbacks must be very smart with the ball which probably included making the right reads.

I'm a fan of everyone on the Syracuse team and I would like nothing more than for Austin to excel for us...but lets call a spade a spade. What makes you think that he is very accurate? I would almost go to the extent of saying he is the most inaccurate by a long shot on the team right now. It doesn't matter how hard or far you can throw the ball if it is not in the right spot for a receiver to make a play on it. And from everything Wilson has displayed here in his 3 years, I just don't see how anyone could possibly think that he will have any shot at playing next year.

That being said I wish the kid the best. I really do. I hope he makes me eat my words and becomes the next great Cuse QB. I just do not see it.

I'm a fan of everyone on the Syracuse team and I would like nothing more than for Austin to excel for us...but lets call a spade a spade. What makes you think that he is very accurate? I would almost go to the extent of saying he is the most inaccurate by a long shot on the team right now. It doesn't matter how hard or far you can throw the ball if it is not in the right spot for a receiver to make a play on it. And from everything Wilson has displayed here in his 3 years, I just don't see how anyone could possibly think that he will have any shot at playing next year.

That being said I wish the kid the best. I really do. I hope he makes me eat my words and becomes the next great Cuse QB. I just do not see it.
If you think Mahoney is not the most inaccurate OF OUR QB' there is not much to discuss.
Two coaches in two different systems made him backup and since he is no threat to run I guess they disagree with your analysis.
EDIT referring to Wilson's ability to run not Mahoney.

Last edited:
It seems to me that the QB and WR's have to be in sync in this system and you can't have the proverbial I zig when you zag type of thing. Wilson seemed to have a problem knowing where his receivers were going to be...it may have not have been his fault but from my eyes they seemed to not be working well together. That said, hopefully over time until the fall all the qb's and wr's are working on their chemistry and figuring out how and what to do in different scenarios. We still don't even know if Dungy or Wilson are even staying on the Hill for their soph and junior seasons.

If you think Mahoney is not the most inaccurate OF OUR QB' there is not much to discuss.
Two coaches in two different systems made him backup and since he is no threat to run I guess they disagree with your analysis.
No threat to run? Where did that one come from?

It seems to me that the QB and WR's have to be in sync in this system and you can't have the proverbial I zig when you zag type of thing. Wilson seemed to have a problem knowing where his receivers were going to be...it may have not have been his fault but from my eyes they seemed to not be working well together. That said, hopefully over time until the fall all the qb's and wr's are working on their chemistry and figuring out how and what to do in different scenarios. We still don't even know if Dungy or Wilson are even staying on the Hill for their soph and junior seasons.

I don't think we have to worry about Dungey. I hear he loves the new staff.