Wilson in the new O | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Wilson in the new O

For what it's worth I talked to two kids that played with Wilson in High School when we signed him. One was shocked he was going to a D1 school, didn't really believe him. The other said he threw a nice ball, had good speed on it, but would have some issues with choices and accuracy when hurried. I think that sums up what we've seen of him so far.

Every coach wrote him off based on watching him in practice every day.
That is really nonsense. Lester's offense had the QB as the 2nd leading rusher. Mahoney completed 46% of this passes - where else in P5 foot all do you see that? Lester got more heavily invested in the TO as the year went on because the rest of the running game didn't work.

Wilson simply didn't fit the high school scheme that Lester ran.

Wilson is also a good kid. He was recruited by Marrone and when Zach Allen was recruited, Austin didn't blink and remained committed willing to compete for the job.

He played in 5 games in his RS Freshman year and started against FSU and Duke. He was injured behind a banged OLine that couldn't protect anybody.

(AJ Long threw twice as many Int's as Wilson in one more game against lesser competition.)

Last year Wilson only played in 2 games. He only threw 8 passes and completed 4 with 1 TD and 1 Int (vs LSU). Wilson has been much maligned and IMO unfairly for a young QB.

Now, that we have a coach that knows QBs, we will see what he thinks.

For what it's worth I talked to two kids that played with Wilson in High School when we signed him. One was shocked he was going to a D1 school, didn't really believe him. The other said he threw a nice ball, had good speed on it, but would have some issues with choices and accuracy when hurried. I think that sums up what we've seen of him so far.
Marrone though highly of him and I will take that over a couple of HS kids.

It would be pretty sweet if this system did turn on the light for Wilson. Maybe the new QB coach will help him figure things out as he does throw a very catchable ball.

Crusty said:
That is really nonsense. Lester's offense had the QB as the 2nd leading rusher. Mahoney completed 46% of this passes - where else in P5 foot all do you see that? Lester got more heavily invested in the TO as the year went on because the rest of the running game didn't work. Wilson simply didn't fit the high school scheme that Lester ran. Wilson is also a good kid. He was recruited by Marrone and when Zach Allen was recruited, Austin didn't blink and remained committed willing to compete for the job. He played in 5 games in his RS Freshman year and started against FSU and Duke. He was injured behind a banged OLine that couldn't protect anybody. (AJ Long threw twice as many Int's as Wilson in one more game against lesser competition.) Last year Wilson only played in 2 games. He only threw 8 passes and completed 4 with 1 TD and 1 Int (vs LSU). Wilson has been much maligned and IMO unfairly for a young QB. Now, that we have a coach that knows QBs, we will see what he thinks.

If he were great he'd be playing over a guy with a 46% completion percentage. The opportunity has been there for 2 years. He's had actual game time and has split reps at the 1.

I agree that he's s good kid.

I don't think he's been unfairly maligned.

And I really hope he steps up and the new staff can take his arm and add the other things that have held him back. (His biggest, glaring issue is reading coverage and decision making). There will be more reps in practice so he'll have more opportunity.

And I think Dungey will take the reigns and smash our record books this season making Wilson's status somewhat irrelevant.

EDIT: And I'm not sure what's "nonsense" - are you saying Lester thought he was the best QB and gave us the best chance of winning - but didn't play him?

Last edited:
Marrone though highly of him and I will take that over a couple of HS kids.
Oh I agree and I took there opinion for what it was and never thought much of it.

"If he were great he'd be playing over a guy with a 46% completion percentage. "

You know that Mahoney jumped over Wilson becasue he can run and Wilson cannot. That is over and Mahoney will probably never see the field again.

As I said, Wilson has had limited game time and almost all of it (86%) as a RS Freshman in a terrible offense with a horrible OLine and against the best competition in the ACC. Personally, I don't think that is enough to evaluate a RS Freshmen.

I am not arguing Wilson will beat out Dungey, but I do think he will be the #2 and by a decent margin.

Crusty said:
"If he were great he'd be playing over a guy with a 46% completion percentage. " You know that Mahoney jumped over Wilson becasue he can run and Wilson cannot. That is over and Mahoney will probably never see the field again. As I said, Wilson has had limited game time and almost all of it (86%) as a RS Freshman in a terrible offense with a horrible OLine and against the best competition in the ACC. Personally, I don't think that is enough to evaluate a RS Freshmen. I am not arguing Wilson will beat out Dungey, but I do think he will be the #2 and by a decent margin.

The former staff evaluated the talent and chose players that gave them the best chance to win. They clearly didn't think Wilson was that guy. This is backed up by his limited results in games that we've all seen.

The current staff will evaluate him and we'll see. Hope he rises and can succeed. He'll have the opportunity.

(I personally think it's more likely that Culpepper or Lindsey passes him IMO.)

Wilson has a great arm but didnt fit the O that Lester ran which at its core was option football. If he can make the reads and learn to make better decisions he can make all of the throws. Having the ability to throw the ball is key in the new O running not so much

The former staff evaluated the talent and chose players that gave them the best chance to win. They clearly didn't think Wilson was that guy. This is backed up by his limited results in games that we've all seen.

The current staff will evaluate him and we'll see. Hope he rises and can succeed. He'll have the opportunity.

(I personally think it's more likely that Culpepper or Lindsey passes him IMO.)
So, system does not matter in evaluating the 2 deep? Who knew?

Crusty said:
So, system does not matter in evaluating the 2 deep? Who knew?

Huh? I think you're forgetting what you disagreed with originally.

I said he was written off by every coach he's played for in college. He got passed over by three (maybe 4 if you count Kimble) QB's for playing time. Facts.

He may be a better fit in Babers system. But that's not where our disagreement originated. (I think he'll get beat out again by a young QB, you don't. That's fine.)

Huh? I think you're forgetting what you disagreed with originally.

I said he was written off by every coach he's played for in college. He got passed over by three (maybe 4 if you count Kimble) QB's for playing time. Facts.

He may be a better fit in Babers system. But that's not where our disagreement originated. (I think he'll get beat out again by a young QB, you don't. That's fine.)

He may be a better fit in Babers system. But that's not where our disagreement originated. (I think he'll get beat out again by a young QB, you don't. That's fine.)[/QUOTE]

He was not "written off" by anyone. The system changed and others fit better (in the eyes of coaches that were 7- 15) and that is all that happened. Now, the same thing will probably happen to Mahoney.

We are in agreement on one thing - Babers will make his own evaluations.

Crusty said:
I said he was written off by every coach he's played for in college. He got passed over by three (maybe 4 if you count Kimble) QB's for playing time. Facts. He may be a better fit in Babers system. But that's not where our disagreement originated. (I think he'll get beat out again by a young QB, you don't. That's fine.)
He was not "written off" by anyone. The system changed and others fit better (in the eyes of coaches that were 7- 15) and that is all that happened. Now, the same thing will probably happen to Mahoney. We are in agreement on one thing - Babers will make his own evaluations.[/QUOTE]

Semantics.

Written off == passed over

He was not "written off" by anyone. The system changed and others fit better (in the eyes of coaches that were 7- 15) and that is all that happened. Now, the same thing will probably happen to Mahoney. We are in agreement on one thing - Babers will make his own evaluations.

Semantics.

Written off == passed over[/QUOTE]
Big difference.

KevMonstah said:
I hated what happened to Wilson this year. I mean, you're telling me that a staff thought that a QB who couldn't throw the ball at all offered up a better chance to win games against LSU, Clemson, NCSt, and BC, because he was more capable of running the ball than Wilson? That's what it really came down to: Lester's offense favored all this stupid motion and stuff, but to do it required putting a QB out there who stunk. Maybe, maybe, it would've had a chance had the defense been capable of keeping the opponent below 35 or so, but that didn't prove to be the case. With this year's team, they needed the ability to score 40 ppg, and there's no way Mahoney, Womack, or even Hunt, if we're being honest, was capable of doing that. But all three of them could run better than Wilson, so they got to play. I think that was just a terrible job of setting up the offense for the year. Hey, the "Baylor offense" works, but it took what, a Heisman trophy winner to show it? That is not what you had in the QBs who played for SU last year. Kev

The Baylor offense worked with a Heisman winner...and then Nick Florence, and then Bryce Petty, and then Seth Russell, and then Jarrett Stidham, and then Chris Johnson, and then they almost beat Texas running single wing T with a fourth string WR who couldn't throw the ball 15 yards.

I'd say the Baylor offense is a good bet at this point.

My advice for when these threads devolve into the "You said this...No, I didn't" bickering is to declare the conversation dead and not respond. It's a favor to the rest of us.