Without Mali - Back on Bubble says Lunardi | Syracusefan.com

Without Mali - Back on Bubble says Lunardi

Seriously??? The guy needs to be on vacation and not worry about this at this time of the year..smh.

It still brings in many eyes at this time of year, and I am sure ESPN pressures him on doing them. Like any pre-pre-pre season top 25 poll. Doesn't mean much, but it's interesting to see how your team is perceived as of now.

That being said, one should never worry at any time of year how Joe Lunardi perceives your team.

Jerry Palm is the guy to follow, I wonder what is bracketology is today, o wait he realizes that doing a bracketology in June is stupid.

Why do you guys even follow this guy? Hasn't he proved to be incompetent. Now we have to justify his job?

The problem is that many casual (or even hardcore college fans that are not really into bracketology), totally trust him. Just google "Joe Lunardi angry at the selection committee.", and you see many that think he is a real expert on the stuff. Just one example below.

Joe Lunardi is not happy with the NCAA Tournament selection committee

People heavy into doing brackets think Joe is not that great. And fans that have taken some time to evaluate a few others have learned that there are much better alternatives than Joe.

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-1_15-43-7.png
    upload_2016-6-1_15-43-7.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 66
The problem is that many casual (or even hardcore college fans that are not really into bracketology), totally trust him. Just google "Joe Lunardi angry at the selection committee.", and you see many that think he is a real expert on the stuff. Just one example below.

Joe Lunardi is not happy with the NCAA Tournament selection committee

People heavy into doing brackets think Joe is not that great. And fans that have taken some time to evaluate a few others have learned that there are much better alternatives than Joe.

Completely agree. Lunardi is and always has been a hack of a journalist--he just happened to stumble upon a concept that people are interested in.

He's like a destitute man's Mel Kiper, IMO. Like Kiper, he deserves credit for fueling public interest with his creation, but also like Kiper he's shown that being knowledgeable doesn't mean that he has his finger on the pulse of what different NCAA committees are going to do [just like Kiper lacks insight into how individual team's draft boards rate players, or provides any insight beyond his take on drafting for need].

I always laugh when I see Bracketology in November / December, let alone June. What a worthless endeavor.

Last edited:
Lunardi knows nothing about the game, he knows very little about the teams. His Bracketology is based on data. Data that he won't have until November, and data that won't mean anything until January. The fact that he is trying to project the field is comical. He has to know that he is embarrassing himself, right?

Completely agree. Lunardi is and always has been a hack of a journalist--he just happened to stumble upon a concept that people are interested in.

He's like a destitute man's Mel Kiper, IMO. Like Kiper, he deserves credit for fueling public interest with his creation, but also like Kiper he's shown that being knowledgeable doesn't mean that he has his finger on the pulse of what different NCAA committees are going to do [just like Kiper lacks insight into how individual team's draft boards rate players, or provides any insight beyond his take on drafting for need].

I always laugh when I see Bracketology in November / December, let alone June. What a worthless endeavor.

Kiper at least does research, I'm not sure what research this clown does. For example, he has Iowa as a 7 seed, they were a 7 seed this year, and they are losing most of their team, he probably couldn't name one player on their roster next year.

I disagree with you on Kiper. He's really the best in his business. He's very knowledgable with his player evaluations--Ie: the dude knows every single player who is drafted. I do agree he's not great at how each team's draft boards rate players but I don't think that's a huge part of his role. Granted, every year his draft board is wildly inaccurate but the NFL Draft is a huge crapshoot.

Contrast this with Joe Lunardi, who has to predict maybe 5-6 teams getting in every year and sucks royally at that. Kiper is awesome--maybe I'm just nostalgic but I've loved Kiper since I was a teenager.

I disagree with you on Kiper. He's really the best in his business. He's very knowledgable with his player evaluations--Ie: the dude knows every single player who is drafted. I do agree he's not great at how each team's draft boards rate players but I don't think that's a huge part of his role. Granted, every year his draft board is wildly inaccurate but the NFL Draft is a huge crapshoot.

Contrast this with Joe Lunardi, who has to predict maybe 5-6 teams getting in every year and sucks royally at that. Kiper is awesome--maybe I'm just nostalgic but I've loved Kiper since I was a teenager.

If the goal is accuracy, then Kiper is not very accurate. BUT, he is knowledgeable and knows his stuff cold. I've listened to him on the radio during weekend ESPN radio telecasts, and people call in about their favorite college teams. Without missing a beat, Kiper knows all about the draftable players from each team [even really obscure teams].

I give him a ton of credit for that. And I also enjoy what Kiper does. As mentioned above, he is the progenitor of the NFL draft phenomenon--he got the public interested, and now everybody fancies themselves a draft expert based upon what he started.

Lundardi deserves credit for bracketology. In my view, it is similar to what Mel Kiper created for the NFL draft. But I view Kiper as being way more talented [like you] than Lundardi, who I view as a hack.

If the goal is accuracy, then Kiper is not very accurate. BUT, he is knowledgeable and knows his stuff cold. I've listened to him on the radio during weekend ESPN radio telecasts, and people call in about their favorite college teams. Without missing a beat, Kiper knows all about the draftable players from each team [even really obscure teams].

I give him a ton of credit for that. And I also enjoy what Kiper does. As mentioned above, he is the progenitor of the NFL draft phenomenon--he got the public interested, and now everybody fancies themselves a draft expert based upon what he started.

Lundardi deserves credit for bracketology. In my view, it is similar to what Mel Kiper created for the NFL draft. But I view Kiper as being way more talented [like you] than Lundardi, who I view as a hack.

Kiper knows the backup tight end on Utah St, he knows what he is talking about. Lunardi not so much, I really don't give him any credit, doing a bracketology isn't all that hard, and he misses all the time, and pretty badly.

RF2044 okay, we pretty much agree on Kiper. His encyclopedic knowledge on players is unmatched. He's very accurate on his individual player evaluations just not on their team landing spots. How can anyone in his role be accurate there? He's not a reporter so he doesn't know about trades and other war room decisions which impact the draft.

Why does Lunardi deserve credit for bracketology? You're saying he was the first? Maybe the first on a national platform? I guess so, but the guy is a tool and as you say, a hack, so I refuse to give him any credit whatsoever.

RF2044 okay, we pretty much agree on Kiper. His encyclopedic knowledge on players is unmatched. He's very accurate on his individual player evaluations just not on their team landing spots. How can anyone in his role be accurate there? He's not a reporter so he doesn't know about trades and other war room decisions which impact the draft.

Why does Lunardi deserve credit for bracketology? You're saying he was the first? Maybe the first on a national platform? I guess so, but the guy is a tool and as you say, a hack, so I refuse to give him any credit whatsoever.

Statistically speaking, he is one of the worst bracketologist out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom