Women's Final Four (slightly o/t) | Syracusefan.com

Women's Final Four (slightly o/t)

orangedave

Starter
At the Cornell game Saturday, I heard from a "usually reliable source" (we all know that works) that SU is preparing a bid to host the women's final four. Any board insider have any inside knowledge.
Looks like they are already scheduled thru 2020 so it wouldn't be any time soon.
I believe in the men's tournament you have to host a regional before you can be considered for a final. Since we've already hosted multiple men's regionals that may fulfill that requirement. Plus we would have time to host a regional before 2020.
We also have seating capacity equal to or better than any of the future sites.
Although we come up short in meeting requirements for a men's final, could we qualify for a women's final?

At the Cornell game Saturday, I heard from a "usually reliable source" (we all know that works) that SU is preparing a bid to host the women's final four. Any board insider have any inside knowledge.
Looks like they are already scheduled thru 2020 so it wouldn't be any time soon.
I believe in the men's tournament you have to host a regional before you can be considered for a final. Since we've already hosted multiple men's regionals that may fulfill that requirement. Plus we would have time to host a regional before 2020.
Although we come up short in meeting requirements for a men's final, could we qualify for a women's final?
We definitely could host one. And we should.

Good prep for hosting a men's final four later down the road. ;)

Fantastic idea. Just don't see a negative in this. What could it mess up scheduling wise? Lax?

I"ve heard the bid is for the regional rounds. Either 1st weekend or 2nd. Not a FF.

Same issue as with the men's final four. Hotel space?

Since it's already booked through 2020, hotel rooms might not be a problem in 2021 and after.

Albany hosted the Womens East regional last year. I'm sure it's a lot different requirements than the mens. According to these box scores, even with Yukon only 134 miles away, they still only drew 8,000 per game. Womens semi and final drew 19,000. http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/teamcume.html

If anything, Cuse should try and get the Frozen Four in the Dome. That would be hot ice.

I don't think so. The 2015 Women's Final Four was played in Tampa Bay. The total attendance was 39,540.

They were only able to draw 19,810 for the championship game. That was the highest attendance for a Final Four for women in the past 5 years.

They don't play in domes because of this lack of interest and won't for the foreseeable future either (at least through 2020).

Linkage

Last edited:
Once the new Dome opens with its retractable roof and the ribbon is cut on the new I-81 tunnel, Syracuse will be in great shape to host any and all Final Fours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom