Worst ESPN broadcast ever. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Worst ESPN broadcast ever.

I was yelling at the screen, LOL... when they called some sort of foul on us that was questionable and they cut to the sideline girl with Duke children and showcased the "blue devil caramel corn" box while the live game was going on... I lost it.

I'd prefer jumbotron feed taco time over that crew LN any day...

Their production has gone to sht. The old Spectrum Sport(TWC) used to do a better job.

Dunno if this is pinned on "video production" but plenty of times I'd like to see a reply and instead they showed an easy bucket from prior plays or cut to the fans in the stand crap.

Like - for instance - Q got called for a charge (I thought he walked) but I thought the Duke flop was inside the arc. There was a time when the broadcast would've looked at that one.

My best guess is the truck knew that Jay Williams can't break down replays, or really talk basketball, very well so they avoided putting him in situations to talk about the technical stuff, instead letting him ramble about something from back in his playing days or Duke, something, Sheyer's family, something.

On a slightly more serious note, Pat McAfee has given a little insight into how calling games has worked for him in the past. He's mentioned, and I think Herbstreit did too, that he can signal to the production guys that he wants to talk about a recent play. If they have the time they'll usually grant the request and show the replay. Assuming that's standard (and I would think we have some SU communications guys here who know), it's possible Jay just wasn't asking for any replays to breakdown. Which would again beg the question, "why tf was he calling this game?!"

Jay did say several nice things about JB , RED's future and Judah . he wasn't all dook. as for Cameron we had a chance to play there with the CRAZIES gone and still lost. funny how the "oldsters" were able to get good seats cuz of winter break. at the dome we do just the opposite. give the good seats to the monied oldsters and pack the students in the cheap seats.

Last edited:
My best guess is the truck knew that Jay Williams can't break down replays, or really talk basketball, very well so they avoided putting him in situations to talk about the technical stuff, instead letting him ramble about something from back in his playing days or Duke, something, Sheyer's family, something.
My favorite was when they showed Flip on the bench with two fouls in the first half with Jay saying that our offense did a great job of running action to get him into foul trouble, when his two fouls were an over-the-back going for a rebound and a bad foul on a jump shooter (can't remember who).

My favorite was when they showed Flip on the bench with two fouls in the first half with Jay saying that our offense did a great job of running action to get him into foul trouble, when his two fouls were an over-the-back going for a rebound and a bad foul on a jump shooter (can't remember who).

My personal favorite was when he was trying to make some point about Judah needing to drive and get fouled, with the implication that he wasn’t doing that enough, when Judah had 9 FTs at that point with like 12 minutes left in the game.

It actually wasn’t clear at all what point Jay was trying to make. He started with Judah’s points and then his FG shooting, and then seemed to realize halfway through that the point he wanted to make was asinine but didn’t know how to get out of it.

My personal favorite was when he was trying to make some point about Judah needing to drive and get fouled, with the implication that he wasn’t doing that enough, when Judah had 9 FTs at that point with like 12 minutes left in the game.

It actually wasn’t clear at all what point Jay was trying to make. He started with Judah’s points and then his FG shooting, and then seemed to realize halfway through that the point he wanted to make was asinine but didn’t know how to get out of it.
Jay Williams tried to back his way out of that by saying Judah should be going to the line 18-19 times a game. Yeah right. LeBron and Jordan averaged about 8 FT attempts in their careers in a 48 minute game.

Jay Williams tried to back his way out of that by saying Judah should be going to the line 18-19 times a game. Yeah right. LeBron and Jordan averaged about 8 FT attempts in their careers in a 48 minute game.
That bit was so outrageous that I had to rewind to make sure I heard what I thought I heard.

Dunno if this is pinned on "video production" but plenty of times I'd like to see a reply and instead they showed an easy bucket from prior plays or cut to the fans in the stand crap.

Like - for instance - Q got called for a charge (I thought he walked) but I thought the Duke flop was inside the arc. There was a time when the broadcast would've looked at that one.

Was that when Q trucked the guy? I remember thinking they should show that again because of the arc.

They did show two replays after the play. They were of the two previous Duke baskets.

That just infuriated me. I can't tell you how many times I have shouted at ESPN broadcasts over the years to "SHOW THE GAME." They are always missing action with that nonsense or showing the crowd or coaches after baskets. One would think after missing so much action over the years, they'd learn. But I guess not. At least it was split screen this time on the bright side, I guess.
...absolutely horrible. On top of this the DOOK love in was more than I could take. Finally had to mute the sound!!

Yeah, I didn't know what else to call it, but who ever was directing the show from the truck was too busy playing on their phone and not interested in the game.
I was starting to think it was one of Scheyer's relatives in the truck directing the show!

I mean at one point in the beginning of the game, he actually said Judah is a smooth and pure jump shooter, but then followed that up later in the game, saying his mechanics need a ton of work! He obviously did not do his research and was just BS-ing like a high school kid faking his class presentation!

Also the few minutes he spent telling the country who Cooper Flagg is, was also comical!

I had to mute it!

I mean at one point in the beginning of the game, he actually said Judah is a smooth and pure jump shooter, but then followed that up later in the game, saying his mechanics need a ton of work! He obviously did not do his research and was just BS-ing like a high school kid faking his class presentation!

Also the few minutes he spent telling the country who Cooper Flagg is, was also comical!

I had to mute it!
That was so infomercial like, too. Just the pits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom