Worst Syracuse team I've ever seen. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Worst Syracuse team I've ever seen.

We have a center in Coleman.
We have a PF in Lydon.
We have a SF in White.
We have guards in Battle and Howard.
We have Thompson and Gillon on the bench.

We have talent. JB is wasting it.

So, he forgot how to coach basketball?

Do you think he has had an undiagnosed stroke or something?

So, he forgot how to coach basketball?

Do you think he has had an undiagnosed stroke or something?
I think he doesn't do anything different. If you adapt to your talent it can help them.
Please tell me how the coaches help the offense?
Our players can't feed the post, don't move without the ball, don't box out or crash the boards.
The only things we do are play a 2-3 zone really well and play 1 on 1 0ffense.

I think he doesn't do anything different. If you adapt to your talent it can help them.
Please tell me how the coaches help the offense?
Our players can't feed the post, don't move without the ball, don't box out or crash the boards.
The only things we do are play a 2-3 zone really well and play 1 on 1 0ffense.
Coaching has to assume some sort of baseline understanding of how to play the game.

When, in your basketball playing career, even on the playground, did you learn about boxing out? Or feeding the post. I'm guessing it was some time in middle school.

What we are seeing here is a team where the players don't or cannot do the basics.

They don't play well together. And the loosey-goosey SU offense is based upon players who know what to do with the ball when they have to or should pass.

It's worse than a Rec League Summer League All Star game with lots of talent but little, if any, cohesion. At least there you would see some two-man games.

I'm not sure they can learn what to do before the ACC season starts.

Or JB is going to have to start running a more structured offense that requires players to start working together and stop jacking up 3's as the basis for an offense.

But if anyone can solve it, it's JB, (Certainly no one on this Forum)

He forgot how to coach offense.

You should have a field day today. Can't wait for some of your interactions with people.

Would love to hear your game thoughts (won't happen).

So your opinion is that JB "forgot how to coach offense"? That's what you are going with?

And you are a credible source?

Why?

It's easy enough to whine and accuse and to be frustrated and disappointed. I guess its natural for some to lash out.

There's a problem with this team, undoubtably. The problem is not JB. If anyone can fix it, it's him.

Coaching has to assume some sort of baseline understanding of how to play the game.

When, in your basketball playing career, even on the playground, did you learn about boxing out? Or feeding the post. I'm guessing it was some time in middle school.

What we are seeing here is a team where the players don't or cannot do the basics.

They don't play well together. And the loosey-goosey SU offense is based upon players who know what to do with the ball when they have to or should pass.

It's worse than a Rec League Summer League All Star game with lots of talent but little, if any, cohesion. At least there you would see some two-man games.

I'm not sure they can learn what to do before the ACC season starts.

Or JB is going to have to start running a more structured offense that requires players to start working together and stop jacking up 3's as the basis for an offense.

But if anyone can solve it, it's JB, (Certainly no one on this Forum)

See, I agree with the first part of this. Kids are coming into college with little to no understanding of the fundamentals of the game, exactly like @coachorange mentioned about this team a few weeks ago. But here's the other part that you will never admit to. Boeheim has admitted he also DOES NOT TEACH THESE SKILLS assuming the kids have them when they come in. JB just isn't reacting to the changing environment of HS and prep / AAU basketball.

See, I agree with the first part of this. Kids are coming into college with little to no understanding of the fundamentals of the game, exactly like @coachorange mentioned about this team a few weeks ago. But here's the other part that you will never admit to. Boeheim has admitted he also DOES NOT TEACH THESE SKILLS assuming the kids have them when they come in. JB just isn't reacting to the changing environment of HS and prep / AAU basketball.

Well, he's the SU coach and has been for 40+ years and his clone is about to replace him.

Did this sea change in player skills happen in jut the past year? Because SU was in the FF just last year.

Well, he's the SU coach and has been for 40+ years and his clone is about to replace him.

Did this sea change in player skills happen in jut the past year? Because SU was in the FF just last year.

They were a fundamentally flawed team last year as well. We had a magical run at the end, but we weren't a good team last year.

And no, this sea change has been going on for some time. I don't care if JB doesn't want to do the actual teaching, just let his assistants do it if they know how.

We have no idea what Hopkins will be when he finally takes the reins.

They were a fundamentally flawed team last year as well. We had a magical run at the end, but we weren't a good team last year.

And no, this sea change has been going on for some time. I don't care if JB doesn't want to do the actual teaching, just let his assistants do it if they know how.

We have no idea what Hopkins will be when he finally takes the reins.

Hopkins has been on the same bench for decades with the same system and philosophies. The likelihood things are going to change under him are extremely small.

Then I imagine his tenure will be short lived.

You don't know much about SU and coaches than.

Take a look at our history in every sport. Coaches get long, long leashes and the strong preference is to hire people with SU backgrounds.

You don't know much about SU and coaches than.

Take a look at our history in every sport. Coaches get long, long leashes and the strong preference is to hire people with SU backgrounds.

Then we may be looking at being a fair to middling program for a long time to come.

.500 in conference the last two seasons and unless team undergoes a big turnaround, it looks like this year will be worse. Obviously the staff is doing something right because they won an extra couple of games in a flukey single-elimination tournament.

Hopkins has been on the same bench for decades with the same system and philosophies. The likelihood things are going to change under him are extremely small.

I would wager that our recruiting territory will expand and I bet that our half court defense won't be exclusively zone [edited from man to man].

On offense, I think you'll see more demand for players that can create a "positionless" offense.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
Then we may be looking at being a fair to middling program for a long time to come.

That could EASILY happen.

How would you describe St John's, Georgetown, and UConn these day?

"Fair to middling" would be generous.

I would wager that our recruiting territory will expand and I bet that our half court defense won't be exclusively man to man.

On offense, I think you'll see more demand for players that can create a "positionless" offense.

Just my $0.02.

I think you meant zone not M2M.

And I'd love to take the other side of that wager.

That could EASILY happen.

How would you describe St John's, Georgetown, and UConn these day?

"Fair to middling" would be generous.

If that happens, do you think the SU admin will allow it to continue, or do you think they will show Mike the door?

To be clear, I absolutely want Hopkins to succeed at SU, running the program he wants to run. I hope JB hands him the keys and says "I'll be at the club. Best wishes my friend." And never speaks to anyone in the athletic department except for charity events.

If that happens, do you think the SU admin will allow it to continue, or do you think they will show Mike the door?

To be clear, I absolutely want Hopkins to succeed at SU, running the program he wants to run. I hope JB hands him the keys and says "I'll be at the club. Best wishes my friend." And never speaks to anyone in the athletic department except for charity events.
We will sit back allow it because JB has a close relationship with hopkins and JB has around 1000 wins so transitive property and syracuse history and stuff

If the players are lacking basic, fundamental skills which can't be taught at the collegiate level, why are we recruiting them?

Depends on the level of success or failure. And even then, SU will take its time.

If things go seriously South (Avg 10 wins or less per year), it'll take three or four years.

If results are mediocre (15 wins a year avg), than it'll take 5 - 7 years minimum.

The Administration knows that hiring the "hot" coach is a crap shoot (although it gets the fans excited in the short term.) Just a few years ago, GWU's Lonergan was the "hot" coach)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom