WOW...Syracuse favored by 43 points | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

WOW...Syracuse favored by 43 points

I see 43 points as possible through my orange colored glasses but only our point total, not the score difference. Villanova will get some points I am sure.

upperdeck said:
the are 8th in the FCS poll this year..

That's a projection which can often be wrong. On the field they have lost at least 4 games each of the past 4 seasons.

I thought that Stonybrook team was pretty good a few years back, Syracuse just needs to play their game, play smart and we should win by a few touchdowns. That said strange things happen early in the year for sure but to me strange still results in Syracuse winning a closer game than it should be

I just hope that we dont get cute. I want to see us run the ball down their throats and not make any mistakes. We should crush them physically i predict we win by 21 and keep it pretty vanilla

I thought that Stonybrook team was pretty good a few years back, Syracuse just needs to play their game, play smart and we should win by a few touchdowns. That said strange things happen early in the year for sure but to me strange still results in Syracuse winning a closer game than it should be

Agreed!

Stoneybrook was too close for comfort.

Villanova is well-coached.

They have solid athletes - just not as many as we do.

The Wildcats will be ready and at least for awhile will play with the Orange.

If we are not ready we could have trouble.

Have to come out smoking.

Nova is an awful team and should get their doors blown off next Friday. SU should win by 4 TD's easy.

Awful is the wrong word.

The Cats were 6-5 last year and lost three games by a total of six points.

They gave BC a tough game at BC at the end of the season.

Andy Talley is very highly regarded.

Hopefully the Orange will take Villanova seriously.

I expect us to march up and down the field at will and hope to have Hunt on the sidelines by early in the 3rd. Just hope we avoid injuries, especially on the OL.

They were 6-5 last year. An average FCS team. People are worrying about nothing.
They're above average. My girlfriend is an alum and I follow them pretty closely. Their QB is a stud and the dynamo for the whole offensive. They'll try to run first, but we have the size and speed to shut them down. It's all about containing the QB.

That 6-5 thing is deceiving. They play in the extremely competitive CAA and lost 3 of those games by a combined 6 points. Plus, they beat the eventual runner-up National Champ pretty handily.

Syracacuse will win this game, but this is no powder puff. The QB, Robertson, will do a thing or two that will frustrate all of us. This will be a 35-14 kind of game. Any talk of a 43 point win or something like that is just nonsense.

Agreed!

Stoneybrook was too close for comfort.

Villanova is well-coached.

They have solid athletes - just not as many as we do.

The Wildcats will be ready and at least for awhile will play with the Orange.

If we are not ready we could have trouble.

Have to come out smoking.

Stranger things have happened and if it's close in 4th it's anyone's ball game but just take care of business and we should be fine. Should be being the operative word, nobody is saying game should be close or that we will lose but certainly could.

Stranger things have happened and if it's close in 4th it's anyone's ball game but just take care of business and we should be fine. Should be being the operative word, nobody is saying game should be close or that we will lose but certainly could.
Shafer was just talking them up...

There not good, 41-0/3

I just hope that we dont get cute. I want to see us run the ball down their throats and not make any mistakes. We should crush them physically i predict we win by 21 and keep it pretty vanilla

Pretty much the way I see it, too.

• Physical line play on both O and D.
  • Run, run, run the ball.
  • Save the fancy stuff for later in the season.
  • Expect and respond to the trick plays.

Awful is the wrong word.

The Cats were 6-5 last year and lost three games by a total of six points.

They gave BC a tough game at BC at the end of the season.

1) They played BC the FIRST game of the year not at the end of the season

2) Villanova is awful . They also had a 1 pt win and a 4 pt win. Margin of victory and loss is kinda meaningless when playing teams on your same level. They were 6-5 and not very good at all.

If SU doesn't win by 4 TD's or in that ballpark I would be stunned. This game as 41-10 written all over it on Friday.

1) They played BC the FIRST game of the year not at the end of the season

2) Villanova is awful . They also had a 1 pt win and a 4 pt win. Margin of victory and loss is kinda meaningless when playing teams on your same level. They were 6-5 and not very good at all.

If SU doesn't win by 4 TD's or in that ballpark I would be stunned. This game as 41-10 written all over it on Friday.
Let's hope you are correct.

This isn't going to be a shutout.

I would agree. We have too many defensive question marks, especially up front to expect to pitch a 60 minute shutout to a seemingly consensus top 15 FCS team.

That's one thing I will be very curious to see, our DL against what should be an inferior offensive line.

I would agree. We have too many defensive question marks, especially up front to expect to pitch a 60 minute shutout to a seemingly consensus top 15 FCS team.

That's one thing I will be very curious to see, our DL against what should be an inferior offensive line.
I'm very curious about this. If I recall, Derrell Smith blitzed every single down in 2010, which covered up many of our inadequacies up the middle. I wonder if Hodge will be called upon frequently to cover in a similar way.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/08/21/college-football-preview-villanova-wildcats/

The Wildcats are set at quarterback. Junior John Robertson is one of the most exciting players in the country. The Paramus, New Jersey, native was named the preseason CAA Offensive Player of the Year. In 2013, he threw for 1,957 yards and 13 touchdowns and even more impressively, rushed for 1,405 yards and another 20 scores, leading an offense that scored just under 31 points a game.

“Well, we’re blessed with John Robertson, he’s an All-American player,” Talley says. “He can run and throw and he’s looked fantastic. He had labrum surgery in the offseason, but he’s recovered very nicely, it’s the non-throwing arm. He is one of the best quarterbacks in the country and he is a guy that can really take us a long way.”

Robertson also is surrounded by some pretty good and experienced talent on offense.

“We have a great group of running backs,” Talley says. “(Seniors) Austin Medley and Kevin Monangai are two returners, they’re like a one-two punch. We have to get our offensive line put back together again, but we have some good receivers, (senior) Poppy Livers is a guy who can really help us. (Senior) Clay Horne another guy. So we’ve got some people, (senior) Earnest Pettway, big tight end, is available as well. So I think we have some weapons on offense.

Should we overlook this team, of course not. But this game should never be in question after halftime. I understand they are a very good team, but they are a very good Div 1 Championship subdivision (on a side note, how does that work now that their is no longer a BCS and both divisions have playoffs now?) team. We should win by at least 2 touchdowns. As someone else mentioned, these aren't the grob years or the first few years of the marrone rebuild. We have some of the best athletes we have had in 10 plus years, we should win handily. We have a second year starting QB and an experienced offensive line. Our offense should not have any trouble moving the ball against and undersized team. Attack their weaknesses. Villanova also has injuries along the offensive line. On defense, we need to attack, attack, and attack. Don't let up. This should be an easy victory. This is the easiest game we will play all year, maybe wake forest, but the point remains the same. This is the easiest opponent we opened the season with since Akron in 2010, Buffalo in 2000, and toledo in 1999. I don't even know the last time we opened with a lower division opponent.

They were 6-5 last year. An average FCS team. People are worrying about nothing.

Normally I would agree with you but the Maine, Rhode Island, and even Stony Brook games would say otherwise. I think we have a chance to impose our will early as there D and O lines are question marks but if we let this QB start scrambling all over us and the interior D line is as bad as it has looked in the preseason this game could be a lot closer then it should be.

They're above average. My girlfriend is an alum and I follow them pretty closely. Their QB is a stud and the dynamo for the whole offensive. They'll try to run first, but we have the size and speed to shut them down. It's all about containing the QB.

That 6-5 thing is deceiving. They play in the extremely competitive CAA and lost 3 of those games by a combined 6 points. Plus, they beat the eventual runner-up National Champ pretty handily.

Syracacuse will win this game, but this is no powder puff. The QB, Robertson, will do a thing or two that will frustrate all of us. This will be a 35-14 kind of game. Any talk of a 43 point win or something like that is just nonsense.

Lemoyne you seem to have a good knowledge of the Nova team. I have done some research over the summer myself and agree with everything you noted above. If your up for it might be a good idea to start a new post giving your thoughts on Nova, perhaps a lurking Nova fan will also comment.