WOW...Syracuse favored by 43 points | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

WOW...Syracuse favored by 43 points

Tulane was 12 points away from an 11 win D1 season last year. Nova went 6-5 with a good D1-aa QB. Its not even close. We are better overall then last year, our opponent is much worse.

While thats all true your comparing Tulane to Nova. The comparison should be Wagner to Nova and Central Michigan to Tulane. Those are the two teams they are replacing.

Last edited:
JeremyCuse said:
Our d ends while good against the run were pretty abysmal rushing the passer outside of Welsh against PSU. If this team wants to beat Clemson, ND, etc then you have to generate some type of pressure from your front four.

You were speaking specifically about the Nova game, I thought.

Not for nothing, but this game gives SU's special teams a chance to make a ton of plays.

While thats all true your comparing Tulane to Nova. The comparison should be Wagner to Tulane and Central Michigan to Tulane. Those are the two teams they are replacing.

I'm assuming you meant Wagner to Nova and Central Michigan to Tulane. While Nova is better than Wagner, the comparison still stands. We beat a much better team (Tulane vs. Nova), with a less talented Cuse squad. Last years Tulane >= This years Central Michigan. I don't understand the concern.

You were speaking specifically about the Nova game, I thought.

No sorry I was talking in general, I think the D line problem is an overall issue. Definitely the #1 concern in my mind from a defensive standpoint and maybe the entire team.

I'm assuming you meant Wagner to Nova and Central Michigan to Tulane. While Nova is better than Wagner, the comparison still stands. We beat a much better team (Tulane vs. Nova), with a less talented Cuse squad. Last years Tulane >= This years Central Michigan. I don't understand the concern.

Yes you are correct I edited the post. I dont have a ton of concern but again I dont understand how Nova being less of a team then Tulane somehow guarantees a Syracuse blowout win, games aren't played in a vaccum. Ga Tech wasn't much better then Tulane last year (you could argue Tulane was better based on W/L) and we got our doors blown in. If Ga Tech swapped playing us this year the game would surely be closer despite the fact that Syracuse is much better then Tulane.

Yes you are correct I edited the post. I dont have a ton of concern but again I dont understand how Nova being less of a team then Tulane somehow guarantees a Syracuse blowout win, games aren't played in a vaccum. Ga Tech wasn't much better then Tulane last year (you could argue Tulane was better based on W/L) and we got our doors blown in. If Ga Tech swapped playing us this year the game would surely be closer despite the fact that Syracuse is much better then Tulane.

That doesn't make any sense. Ridiculous comparison.

Tulanes 2013 wins: 7-6
Jackson State: 34-7
Louisiana Tech: 24-15
UL-Monroe: 31-14
North Texas: 24-21
ECU: 36-33
Tulsa: 14-7
UTEP: 45-3

5 Conference USA, 1 Sunbelt, 1 1AA, 2 bowl teams. (thought UL-Monroe was the third, but they went 6-6 with no bowl.)

GT 2013 wins: 7-6
Elon: 70-0
Duke: 38-14
UNC: 28-20
Cuse: 56-0
UVA: 35-25
Pitt: 21-10
Bama A&M: 66-7

5 ACC, 2 1AA, 4 Bowl teams.

That doesn't make any sense. Ridiculous comparison.

Tulanes 2013 wins: 7-6
Jackson State: 34-7
Louisiana Tech: 24-15
UL-Monroe: 31-14
North Texas: 24-21
ECU: 36-33
Tulsa: 14-7
UTEP: 45-3

5 Conference USA, 1 Sunbelt, 1 1AA, 2 bowl teams. (thought UL-Monroe was the third, but they went 6-6 with no bowl.)

GT 2013 wins: 7-6
Elon: 70-0
Duke: 38-14
UNC: 28-20
Cuse: 56-0
UVA: 35-25
Pitt: 21-10
Bama A&M: 66-7

5 ACC, 2 1AA, 4 Bowl teams.

All I am saying is that the fact that Nova is a worse team then tulane means nothing in regards to how the game will go on Friday. I don't get your argument that because we pummeled Tulane we are somehow destined to do the same against Nova. I expect Syracuse to win and win comfortably but the comparison to me doesnt add up.

All I am saying is that the fact that Nova is a worse team then tulane means nothing in regards to how the game will go on Friday. I don't get your argument that because we pummeled Tulane we are somehow destined to do the same against Nova. I expect Syracuse to win and win comfortably but the comparison to me doesnt add up.

Everyone gets that anything can happen on any given week. There are numerous reasons we should destroy Nova on Friday, the comparison is one example. Every statistic(D1 wins), measurable(Size/Speed), and percentage(Homefield Advantage) you can find on both teams, as well as common sense would lead one to anticipate a good day for Cuse. I appreciate your opinion, but there is just no way in hell we should be sweating this game. Maybe I'm wrong, but until I'm proven otherwise I have full faith in this team taking it to the next level this year. (Optimist) I even theorized a scenario where we are 5-0 going into the FSU game, because I like how our schedule sets up, minus the lack of a mid-season bye week. I fully expect this team to win a minimum of nine games this year, Nova is a guarantee. Bet the House. Go Cuse!

Can we just say enough already? I don't care what Nova is ranked in an inferior division. I don't care about our interior DL problems for this game. Their OLine is a major issue!!! Understand that again, they will be relying on FCS 2nd string Offensive linemen. This is why we can stop the Nova is tough nonsense.

1. Their OL is wrecked, WRECKED. "We struggled a bit against our defense running the ball," Talley said Monday. They can't run against an FCS defense. Our defense didn't give up a 100 yard rusher all season. Even with a hole at DL our guys are still better than theirs any day of the week and they can't do what they want against their own guys let alone ours..

2. Neither of their kickers has ever kicked in a college game.

3. Friday night in the Dome. Crowd should be buzzed and rowdy.

4. Some of our FCS games have come in between much bigger FBS games for us. Not this time. Not only do we have weeks to prepare, we don't have to worry about CMU for 2 weeks. There is no looking ahead, no trying to sneak in some stuff early in practice for CMU. The ONLY focus is Nova.

5. There is no chance they will shut down our faster, taller, and more athletic WRs.

6. Hickey will own his entire side of the OL.

7. Hunt is better than their QB.

8. Their defense is undersized and won't be able to stop our running game.

9. This is a team who lost to Fordham, James Madison, Maine, and New Hampshire. We lost to PSU, Clemson, FSU, GT, Northwestern, and Pitt...all P5 teams. In this staff's first year, with a first year QB, we did not lose to a team in an inferior division.

10. Our special teams will dominate theirs.