Class of 2020 - WR Bryce Gowdy (FL) Verbal to Ga Tech | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 WR Bryce Gowdy (FL) Verbal to Ga Tech

Saw this posted elsewhere, brutal to watch. Think most of us, myself included, basically treat these kids as commodities and don't have a clue about the horrible circumstances some are dealing with.

Saw this posted elsewhere, brutal to watch. Think most of us, myself included, basically treat these kids as commodities and don't have a clue about the horrible circumstances some are dealing with.
That is so heartbreaking. You just want to take that poor woman in your arms and hold her. I pray someone gets her grief counseling.

His family situation really sucked. The amount of pressure on that poor kid was unreal. How in the hell was a mentally ill homeless mother of three on her own with no help.

His family situation really sucked. The amount of pressure on that poor kid was unreal. How in the hell was a mentally ill homeless mother of three on her own with no help.
Where are you getting her being mentally ill?

I read another article that strongly alluded that Bryce was struggling with some strong mental health issues - which would make sense considering his age. Appears as if the warning signs were coming in strong over the last few months.

Just awful. I feel so badly for his family.

I read another article that strongly alluded that Bryce was struggling with some strong mental health issues - which would make sense considering his age. Appears as if the warning signs were coming in strong over the last few months.

Just awful. I feel so badly for his family.
Unfortunately the signs of schizophrenia can begin at that age in teenage males suffering from that disease. I'm not saying Bryce was schizophrenic but only that he was at the age where signs of the disease can become noticeable.

You know... thinking back to his recruitment, I remember when he picked GT he indicated that one of the things that made the biggest impression was the statistic that 1 out of 4 GT grads ended up being millionaires. With this context, it makes sense why that was so important to him.

That is so heartbreaking. You just want to take that poor woman in your arms and hold her. I pray someone gets her grief counseling.
Sadly, this is a good life lesson for those that would criticize the decisions of young folks and their families. Life can be complex and desperate. The "social safety net" may be expensive but there's no good reason to let people struggle to this extent. The impact on young souls is clear and apparent. Condolences to all that loved and were loved by this young man...

You know... thinking back to his recruitment, I remember when he picked GT he indicated that one of the things that made the biggest impression was the statistic that 1 out of 4 GT grads ended up being millionaires. With this context, it makes sense why that was so important to him.
I don't know how GT gets away with using that stat recruits. With nobody questioning it or challenging how meaningful it really is or not.

Last edited:
I don't know how GT gets away with using that stat recruits. With nobody questioning it or challenging its demonstrative validity.

I would love to see how they come up with that garbage stat they feed recruits. They are probably counting 401k’s, IRA’s, home value and a bunch of other crap 30 years after they graduate.

I would love to see how they come up with that garbage stat they feed recruits. They are probably counting 401k’s, IRA’s, home value and a bunch of other crap 30 years after they graduate.
Even the graduates don't track that. How many people really track that stuff so closely that they all share it with their Alma Mater on the same day every year so their marketing dept can continue to share it with potential HS students. Its virtually impossible to really know.

It could also be proximity to family was the ticket as well

It could also be proximity to family was the ticket as well

Yep and now we can all hopefully gain some perspective in that it sometimes has zero to do with an offensive system or our staff “not being able to close”. This young man had a terrible family situation and didn’t want to go far from home and football doesn’t mean squat in comparison

Yep and now we can all hopefully gain some perspective in that it sometimes has zero to do with an offensive system or our staff “not being able to close”. This young man had a terrible family situation and didn’t want to go far from home and football doesn’t mean squat in comparison

That's my personal takeaway. It's all fun and cute to pretend like a guy not going to Syracuse is the worst decision ever. But there's a lot of factors to consider obviously. I'm still going to follow recruiting but I'll probably lay off with any uninformed commentary when a kid selects another school.

gone too soon, RIP Bryce...in the age of social media, carefully curated personas in my opinion can have an adverse effect on young folks. Seldomly sharing pain, depression, and seeing everyone "living their best life" online is toxic, again IMO. Nobodys life is perfect, but I can forgive someone for thinking someone else's life may be...again Rest In Peace Bryce, best wishes to your family.