Class of 2021 - WR Jackson Meeks (GA) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/12/23) | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 WR Jackson Meeks (GA) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/12/23)

I'm ready for the entire experience to end and starting fresh. If that includes some carryovers that's fine, but this is one unit where we just need to start over.
I can understand the sentiment. I do think there's some talent at the position that can emerge.

Agree they need to block but Hatcher was not a big play receiver. Qb play was an issue but I do not remember any of the receivers trying to help the qb. Scramble or come back in an attempt to get open when the play broke down.
That's coaching and the QB being flushed too quickly.

Jones was out or playing injured almost the entire season i believe. With OG out I still think Jones would have been our top receiver if he was healthy in 2023. He started out his first two games as 3 receptions for 71 yds and 2 TD's against Colgate and then 5 catches for 86 yds against W. Michigan before getting injured. He is a very well rounded receiver. Good at everything but not exceptional in any one area. He's a keep in my book.
Can he stay healthy? He's been out early in back-to-back seasons.

I have zero issues with our WR’s. Add back OG and Pena we can play with anyone. Not their fault we had zero QB after Shrader. Adding more depth is fine but the group as a whole was young and will be solid with a guy who can throw
And a guy who can coach.

I swore myself off of believing in the elusive Damien Alford breakout for the last two months of this season.

We are two weeks into the offseason and I am, once again, ready to be the leader of the Damien Alford hype train. Next year is the year. I think.

Two months….. I feel like we’ve been preached about his “breakout” season coming for two years.

I have zero issues with our WR’s. Add back OG and Pena we can play with anyone. Not their fault we had zero QB after Shrader. Adding more depth is fine but the group as a whole was young and will be solid with a guy who can throw
I don't think the new staff shares that opinion.

Wow that’s actually scary to see lol.
We have Gadsden also. Overall it looks like they were trying to find some high end guys mixed in with some under the radar guys w/ speed that wanted a P5 opportunity. Sometimes they develop into good players. Sometimes they dont. We just can afford to have a position group with this amount of projects.

P5 offers

Alford - Florida, FSU, Indiana, Kentucky, Miami, Penn St, WVU

Hatcher - Maryland, Michigan St, North Carolina, Penn State, Virginia, VT

Brown - Vanderbilt

Pena - None

Jones - None

Gill - None

Long - None

Cohoon - None

All for giving guys a chance to grow and get better. Offers and Stars aren’t the end all, be all. And I’m happy to concede we had significant ups and downs in terms of QB play.

But for guys like Alford and Hatcher, they have had a ton of opportunities. It has to click and you have to perform consistently, if nothing else.

Shrader wasn’t dropping dimes, but our WRs weren’t good. Flat out. I don’t care what any PFF grade might say. What anyone’s eye test. Anything.

Maybe one or two of these guys may pop still. Dunno. But Fran is injecting a big dose of healthy paranoia into this team. So its go time.

I’ve seen Hatcher make a few sick catches. But he can’t have five great catches be his reel and do barely anything else.

If they blocked well, great. That’s the very baseline we’re talking about.

Meeks might not be better. But he’s big and he’s helped on specials and he’s been part of a winning program and Fran wants him. Right now, I’ll take that.

Not going to expect much of a player that only got 10 receptions in 3 years, even if that was at Georgia.

AET didn’t do much for the Twerps.

Trishton wasn’t all that for Sparty.

Sometimes talented dudes get stuck behind other guys, and don’t get to show out.

Fran knows what this kid is made of.
He doesn’t offer him if he doesn’t think he can contribute.

We’ve only got so many schollies, and we’re definitely not wasting any on “just a guy” at this point.

Someone posted his targets video from this year and now it’s gone but might be unpopular opinion here, it was very blah. Made zero hard catches and didn’t do anything outstanding. Very eh after seeing that. And that was against samford and Vandy

party GIF

Someone posted his targets video from this year and now it’s gone but might be unpopular opinion here, it was very blah. Made zero hard catches and didn’t do anything outstanding. Very eh after seeing that. And that was against samford and Vandy

Think I found the video you’re referencing, looks like it’s from last season (2022).

Georgia fans seem to think highly of him (as a player and a person) and think he would have produced if there wasn’t so much elite talent ahead of him. I’ve also seen several Georgia fans reference he was great on specials for them.

Going to give HCFB the benefit of the doubt here, and hope he can have an AET/ Trishton Jackson breakout.

Worst case, it’s some mature depth who can play specials and help implement the culture HCFB wants here.

Low risk, high reward guy. Here for one year. Worst case is that he’s a quality specials coverage guy. We’re going to need upperclassmen in all facets of the roster because there’s going to be significant turnover.

Think I found the video you’re referencing, looks like it’s from last season (2022).

Georgia fans seem to think highly of him (as a player and a person) and think he would have produced if there wasn’t so much elite talent ahead of him. I’ve also seen several Georgia fans reference he was great on specials for them.

Going to give HCFB the benefit of the doubt here, and hope he can have an AET/ Trishton Jackson breakout.

Worst case, it’s some mature depth who can play specials and help implement the culture HCFB wants here.
There’s not really a lot of context there and most of the balls that weren’t competed were overthrown or PI calls or PI no calls. Then there was the BB thrown behind him in the end zone that I guess he should have caught but that was a pretty tough catch to make.

I see a bigger bodied muscular receiver that can catch the ball and doesn’t collapse like a folding chair on contact. And I like that. But like I said, if he just ends up an upperclassman cover guy on specials I’m fine with that too. We will need those as well.

If Fran likes him enough to bring him in, that’s all I need to know. I’m sure he will be one of many upgrades to our receiving corps.

We have Gadsden also. Overall it looks like they were trying to find some high end guys mixed in with some under the radar guys w/ speed that wanted a P5 opportunity. Sometimes they develop into good players. Sometimes they dont. We just can afford to have a position group with this amount of projects.
Agree with everything in this post. Gadsden is the real deal and I'm praying he comes back. But with recruiting overall, no doubt, too many projects - likely much of that because high end receivers are hot commodities. Gill can play, but the rest are projects ... as much as I like Brown. Cahoon is another one. I can't fault the staff for taking him despite no other P5 offer - sprinter speed, highlight catches, decent hands and a vertical - hard to believe he can't get separation and make a catch at the p5 level. Hatcher flashes but not enough consistency. Time for some fresh talent then see what shakes out.

I'm ready for the Alford Experience to end.

Would love to keep Hatcher, Brown, and Gill.

Kinda feel like Pena can provide something still and go out strong, but can understand if he moves on. I don't really get Jones. Thought he'd do more, not sure why he hasn't. Kinda ambivalent though.

Cohoon and Long... not sure I see it. I know they have their fans.
Im sorry but i thought he played hard. when we actually threw him the ball he made plays. He blocked his ass of during last few games knowing its what he had to do. i give all the props to him that i can.

Agree with everything in this post. Gadsden is the real deal and I'm praying he comes back. But with recruiting overall, no doubt, too many projects - likely much of that because high end receivers are hot commodities. Gill can play, but the rest are projects ... as much as I like Brown. Cahoon is another one. I can't fault the staff for taking him despite no other P5 offer - sprinter speed, highlight catches, decent hands and a vertical - hard to believe he can't get separation and make a catch at the p5 level. Hatcher flashes but not enough consistency. Time for some fresh talent then see what shakes out.
Well said

Two months….. I feel like we’ve been preached about his “breakout” season coming for two years.
Oh I spent two straight months telling myself I wouldn't believe the next time. I have been calling for him to breakout since he was in middle school. A personal passion of mine is convincing myself he is an all-ACC receiver every summer.