Class of 2023 - WR Yazeed Haynes (PA) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/16/23) | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 WR Yazeed Haynes (PA) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/16/23)

I have a hard time seeing Alford beating out Meeks or Haynes. He may get the senior nod. But that doesn’t mean he will take the majority of snaps. Kinda like a Dion waiters situation but football. And zeed Haynes is the Dion. I think Meeks seniority makes him a day 1 starter. He had the mentality that Fran wants per Fran.

Between haynes, Meeks, OG, villari, Alford… I think we have our first ever ACC caliber WR unit front to back. Didn’t mention the young guns either who may crack a 2 deep, but so unknown.
Position-wise, and relative to how we stand at this point in time, the WR/TE group looks to have the best collection of depth and talent as compared to any other position group on the team - assuming that OG is fully recovered. This was clearly a point of emphasis for Fran. Now they have to produce.

Don't forget Ross, Hornsby, Meeks . We can definitely go 3 deep.
I didn't. I was just referring to the three WRs he mentioned. It looks like the quality of the unit has taken a significant step up.

Our QBs were very good at throwing passes out of bounds. I'm anticipating a change in that strategy this fall.

Bold Strategy Cotton.jpg

Thats a bold strategy Cotton.

5 is Damien Alford. I feel ya it’s hard to sometimes pull the name off the top of your head when there’s like 85 guys on the team lol
It kills me as he is a fav of mine. Just threw a total blank which at 54 may happen here and there. lol

The biggest issue Alford had was he was making amazing catches on throws that had no chance and took him out of bounds. I agree accuracy should help him tremendously.
Throwing to him in crossing routes will help too. His size and speed will give linebackers problems.

Tremble: What am I, chopped liver?
Maybe? Just kidding, fair call out. Candidly I omitted him because I have slotted him in my mind as the OG replacement. That is probably not completely fair but I could see a goal line pass first "tall team " of OG, Tremble, Meeks and Villari and that would create major major match up issues.

Tremble: What am I, chopped liver?
I so wish Tremble and Ross were early enrollees but they aren't - it will be interesting to see how they are utilized early in the season due to that.

I so wish Tremble and Ross were early enrollees but they aren't - it will be interesting to see how they are utilized early in the season due to that.
True, watching clips of these guys in high school they were absolute studs. Not sure how quickly it translates here but we've rarely had this number of college ready freshman. I really think Haynes and OG are going to come out as monster one-two punch. One of these young guys needs to step it up as a consistent third option. I won't count out Alford, Brown or Hatcher. Maybe the new staff helps things finally click.

The biggest issue Alford had was he was making amazing catches on throws that had no chance and took him out of bounds. I agree accuracy should help him tremendously.
Except it seemed to me that he had trouble with the easy ones

Except it seemed to me that he had trouble with the easy ones
No he didn’t … he did drop a couple catchable balls but he made far more difficult catches than botching easy ones … he had one catch on an out route late in the season that was unreal, the concentration required was impressive. Honestly I think the biggest issue with him was how he was used.

No he didn’t … he did drop a couple catchable balls but he made far more difficult catches than botching easy ones … he had one catch on an out route late in the season that was unreal, the concentration required was impressive. Honestly I think the biggest issue with him was how he was used.
With his size and speed, he should have been used more in crossing patterns.

With his size and speed, he should have been used more in crossing patterns.
Or the ball should've been thrown inbounds with the expectation that he would go over the top of whatever DB was covering him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom