Ya'll ready for the cold? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ya'll ready for the cold?

Spent 10 days in Charleston end of August moving my son there for a job. It was 103 degrees 3 days in a row. Miserable. And the humidity didn't help either. Ugh
I guarantee it was 113 in Colombia that day. It sucks the heat in from the rest of the state. I swear it does.

It's amazing that South Carolina can have one of my all time favorite cities (Charleston) and one of my not so favorite (Columbia) within 2 hours of each other. Totally different worlds too. Columbia has like one really nice area and then lots of armpit, as TigerTown said. I did, however, find some great places to eat there, and even had cheese grits for the first time. But overall, just drive through it on your way down to Charleston. I love Charleston.

The people I met in Columbia were very nice, though, so I want to make it clear I'm not hammering on them. What I find hilarious is the internal state feud between Clemson and Gamecock fans. Gamecock fans go out of their way to marginalize Clemson fans, even saying that Clemson is technically not part of the state. One of the guys I met on business worked in a facility loaded with Gamecock fans. His office was decorated with all kinds of pro-Clemson items and all kinds of anti-Spurrier crap he'd pull off the Internet. He'd hang that Spurrier stuff on his door to get a rise out of everyone. I'm not an SC fan, so I always sided with the Clemson guy. He was outnumbered.

On the other side of the state, Greenville is a great little town too. Great places to eat downtown.

Interesting takes. I very much enjoy living in Columbia. I guess Dalton was right, opinions vary.

It's amazing that South Carolina can have one of my all time favorite cities (Charleston) and one of my not so favorite (Columbia) within 2 hours of each other. Totally different worlds too. Columbia has like one really nice area and then lots of armpit, as TigerTown said. I did, however, find some great places to eat there, and even had cheese grits for the first time. But overall, just drive through it on your way down to Charleston. I love Charleston.

The people I met in Columbia were very nice, though, so I want to make it clear I'm not hammering on them. What I find hilarious is the internal state feud between Clemson and Gamecock fans. Gamecock fans go out of their way to marginalize Clemson fans, even saying that Clemson is technically not part of the state. One of the guys I met on business worked in a facility loaded with Gamecock fans. His office was decorated with all kinds of pro-Clemson items and all kinds of anti-Spurrier crap he'd pull off the Internet. He'd hang that Spurrier stuff on his door to get a rise out of everyone. I'm not an SC fan, so I always sided with the Clemson guy. He was outnumbered.

On the other side of the state, Greenville is a great little town too. Great places to eat downtown.

In Charleston try some shrimp and grits. It may not sound like a great combination, but I love it. Speaking of different foods in different areas, did you ever put salted peanuts in your Coke or is that a southern thing as well?

In Charleston try some shrimp and grits. It may not sound like a great combination, but I love it. Speaking of different foods in different areas, did you ever put salted peanuts in your Coke or is that a southern thing as well?

I have had shrimp and grits, actually. But the salted peanuts in Coke is a total Southern thing. Just like boiled peanuts.

Peanuts in Coke is a nowhere thing. I've always lived here and I've never put a peanut in my Coke, never wanted to, and I've never seen anyone do it.

Boiled peanuts are fantastic, though.

Interesting takes. I very much enjoy living in Columbia. I guess Dalton was right, opinions vary.

Don't get me wrong, there are parts of Columbia I really like. I love the historic sites around the city as well. But after watching an episode of Gangland that centered on a ruthless Columbia, SC gang, and realizing I had actually been through that neighborhood, well, my view of the area changed a bit.

Peanuts in Coke is a nowhere thing. I've always lived here and I've never put a peanut in my Coke, never wanted to, and I've never seen anyone do it.

I honestly had never heard of it until this thread.

Neighbors wished me a safe trip down today, but gave me a weird look when I said I thought SU would win.

wpotq6zodmrafuy0sjgu.jpg

I had seen this in a previous post on the board but saved it as it has a grain of truth.

SYRACUSE'S TEMPERATURE CONVERSION CHART

60° F: Arizonans shiver uncontrollably; people in Syracuse are still sunbathing.
50° F: Californians try to turn on the heat; people in Syracuse plant gardens.
40° F: Italian sports cars won't start; people in Syracuse drive with the windows down.
32° F: Distilled water freezes; Onondaga Lake water gets thicker.
20° F: Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves and wool hats; people in Syracuse throw on a light jacket.
15° F: People in Syracuse have the last cookout before it gets cold.
0° F: All the people in Phoenix die. Syracusans close the windows.
10° below zero: Californians fly away to Mexico . The Girl Scouts in Syracuse are selling cookies door to door.
25° below zero: Hollywood disintegrates; people in Syracuse get out their winter coats.
40° below zero: Washington, DC runs out of hot air; people in Syracuse let the dogs sleep indoors.
100° below zero: Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. Syracusans get frustrated because they can't start their snowblowers.
460° below zero: All atomic motion stops (absolute zero on the Kelvin scale); people in Syracuse start saying, 'cold 'nuff for ya?'
500° below zero: Hell freezes over. The Pitt Panthers make the Final Four.

These lists usually suck - this one was actually pretty funny. :)

I swear it was negative something insane last year and I drove down James Street and the Liberty Tax mascot was outside on the corner half dead holding up a sign, right next to the Little Ceasars kid spinning his sign.

These lists usually suck - this one was actually pretty funny. :)

I swear it was negative something insane last year and I drove down James Street and the Liberty Tax mascot was outside on the corner half dead holding up a sign, right next to the Little Ceasars kid spinning his sign.

Wouldn't that violate some kind of Labor Law? Although, you could have used your phone camera to recreate the Statue of Liberty scene from The Day After Tomorrow. ;)

Wouldn't that violate some kind of Labor Law? Although, you could have used your phone camera to recreate the Statue of Liberty scene from The Day After Tomorrow. ;)

You would think - no clue. I remember specifically telling my girlfriend that this seemed like abuse of some sort - and no amount of money could have been worth freezing in that stupid outfit. The Little Ceasars people seem to come and go quickly - there are days where that Liberty Tax person is outside for seemingly hours upon hours at time (hopefully not that day!).

Don't get me wrong, there are parts of Columbia I really like. I love the historic sites around the city as well. But after watching an episode of Gangland that centered on a ruthless Columbia, SC gang, and realizing I had actually been through that neighborhood, well, my view of the area changed a bit.[/QUOTE

Gotcha. When I first moved here it certainly was not the prettiest place in the world, and pretty different for me coming from VT. But,I guess it has just grown on me. And I love being able to play golf near year round for around $35! And you get the amusement of Gamecock fans thinking they are the best at everything. They did have a good string of baseball seasons, but who cares about college baseball?

Then it must be an over 55 thing. I went to school in Auburn, Al and Charlotte, NC in the 60's and early 70's and everyone I knew did it both places.

CousinClem said:
Then it must be an over 55 thing. I went to school in Auburn, Al and Charlotte, NC in the 60's and early 70's and everyone I knew did it both places.

I thought everyone was drinking RC cola back then, with their moonpies. I spent 2 years (92-94) in every small town from Asheville to Greenville, Spartanburg, Myrtle Beach, Wilmington, you name the town, I was in it at some point. All everyone over 40 talked about was RC cola and moonpies. And Vidalia onions and boiled peanuts. I second that Columbia is a toilet and Charleston is one of the few southern cities I think I could live in. I do like the long spring and a hot summer of the south, but I can't live without my northeast fall and winter.

For the record:

Peanuts in Coke; it's something a few older people do in the South. I don't particualry like it.

Shrimp and grits; Yum. Heck, all grits are is really fine ground corn. That goes well with shrimp and butter.

Moon Pies and Pepsi. Yes. Yes! and Hell Yes!!

Hot Dogs: I like em' southern, pork dogs with meat chili, onions and slaw. But I like a good northern brat with mustard and kraut too.

Boiled peanuts; I live in NC, 2 hour drive from Clemson. Nobody here boils Peanuts. Only in SC and GA do they do that. Of all the legumes, Peanuts are the last that need to be boiled. Peanuts are meant for saltiness and crunch. They are not good prepared as a regular ol' bean. I just don't get it.

You guys have Pizza mastered in NY; thin and cheesy with a good bit of grease, limited to 2 toppings max.