Year 1 - Realistic Expectations | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Year 1 - Realistic Expectations

Sorry but you guys are coo-coo for cocoa puffs with some of this. 5800 yds? 60 tds? That's bonkers. I'm not trying to piss in anyone's Cheerios right now, I'm excited and looking up like the rest of you. But some pragmatism is in order. There are some serious holes to fill next year on this team. O-line is going to have to make major strides with some very young and inexperienced key pieces. Entire defense right now is a hot mess. Need a number of guys to take some big steps, some talent upgrades would go a long way as well. I think we'll be lucky to sniff a bowl next year. And lets get through next year before we get ahead of ourselves.

Sorry but you guys are coo-coo for cocoa puffs with some of this. 5800 yds? 60 tds? That's bonkers. I'm not trying to piss in anyone's Cheerios right now, I'm excited and looking up like the rest of you. But some pragmatism is in order. There are some serious holes to fill next year on this team. O-line is going to have to make major strides with some very young and inexperienced key pieces. Entire defense right now is a hot mess. Need a number of guys to take some big steps, some talent upgrades would go a long way as well. I think we'll be lucky to sniff a bowl next year. And lets get through next year before we get ahead of ourselves.
Whats bonkers is everyone in this thread is being too conservative with their offense prediction numbers if you ask me.

Ok ok fine. 5700 yards and 58 TDs

It was a new system this year also. What's your minimum expectation if 6-6 would make you thrilled next year?

Anything less than 6 in any year is a dissapointment and I would expect that next year as I did this year.
Exactly - a new system just like last year. It won't be any easier to learn this year either. As a matter of fact, it will be more difficult because both offense and defense will be new.

New terminology, new blocking schemes, new passing trees, new protections and new positions for several players. AND in order to operate properly, the offense has to go fast, very fast, which is more difficult to do when learning a new system. Mistakes will be more frequent just because of the speed requirement alone.

We also do not have the players for this system. We do not have the 4 wide receivers we need to run the system properly.

This is not an additive deal. You can't just take last year's production and add yards and points to it.

The ACC is improving as well. Wake Forest, Pitt, Virginia Tech and even Boston College will be better. South Florida, Notre Dame and UCONN are in the front end of the season when we will be weakest.

Lastly, the heaviest demands will be on the QB. Dungey was not very good at going through his progressions in Lester's system and it will be more difficult with Dino's system. He will only be a true sophomore whose learning curve will have to start over again. Sure not 100%, but substantially.

I find myself in the strange position of tempering expectations for a system I have advocated from the very beginning. However, the fact remains that we have a difficult transition year ahead of us and we probably have only a 40% chance of getting to 6-6 and a bowl. With our young defense also learning a new system, all it takes is a couple of injuries at the wrong time to spill us over to a 3-9 season.

Year two? Go crazy and I will join you, but not year one.

images

Am I the only one who's worried about our WR corps next year?

I am a big fan of Ishmael's, but it will be interesting to see how he fits into the new offense [I'm sure that he will]. Beyond him, I'm less confident in the rest. I like Estime, I like Lewis, but the others don't seem to bring much to the table.

Maybe Erv shifts out there. Maybe that's where Moe Neal fits. Maybe someone like Palmer comes in and makes a splash. Wish we would have landed Stewart.

And for the record, I am bully as hell on Babers and his proven track record and tremendous offensive system. I would be very disappointed if we can't get to around 400 yards per game next year.
Erv will do well at WR, and between Avant, Cornelius, Custis, Enoicy and Womack we'll have somebody emerge.

That was year two

And those are the numbers good college offenses put up year in and year out

We are just so used to 15 years of struggle to get 350 yards and 3 scores a game when there are programs who put those numbers up in the first half

Who is going to be the quarterback. I have been hearing for weeks that one of Dungey's parents is furious that he was in the Louisville game to take that hit. They do no want him to play football anymore. If Lester leaves I have real concerns that Dungey will not be coming back too.

People need to stop "expecting" anything. Hope for something, keep the facts in mind (new HC, new system), and enjoy the ride.

That said I expect damn lightning to scorch the turf every time we touch the ball.

At Bowling Green Dino't first year the offense actually went down not up. They went from 34 ppg to 30. Plays went up in Dino's first year but total yards went down. (Both passing and rushing yards went down.)
Coach |Year | Plays | Yards
Clawson |2013 | 983 | 6432
Babers | 2014 |1,103 | 6061

In the second year 2015 different story. 43.4 PPG.
Plays 1,073 | Yards 7293

Just be patient folks.

My completely realistic expectation is that this board will be full of completely unrealistic expectations.

#ACCCGorFireBabers

How about some open practices? From what I read, Dino was OK with that at Bowling Green.

Looking at Babers history year 2 seems to be the year with the most significant improvement. Correct me if I am wrong but don't we have a rather brutal schedule 2017? Might it be a good 3 years before we right the ship?

I expect no punts inside the opponents 40 yard line and a bowl game. Other than that I am negotiable.