Yes, a retractable roof would be insanely expensive, but... | Syracusefan.com

Yes, a retractable roof would be insanely expensive, but...

OttosBestFriend

2nd String
Yes, a retractable roof would be insanely expensive, but the dividends it could pay in terms of exposure (and subsequently recruiting) cannot be measured.

Just as the Carrier Dome itself helped jump start football from the doldrums of a 10+ year slumber and take basketball to a truly elite level in the 1980s, putting a retractable room on our Dome Sweet Dome this decade (if feasible from an engineering standpoint) would benefit the University in so many ways.

With the Dome in 1980, we saw that the proverbial egg came first... And THEN the chicken (wins, national exposure, $$$, etc.).

It's time to "incubate" that egg again and put a retractable roof on it.

And forgetting football and hoops for a second, if you think lacrosse is a big deal at SU now, wait 'til 20,000+ fans show up for a regular season Saturday afternoon game versus Duke, UNC or UVA under the warm April sun.

I just hope that the powers that be don't look at the initial cost of a retractable roof and deem it too expensive without looking at the long term reward of having the only on-campus retractable roof dome in America.

SU is lucky to get 7,000 people for LAX games against Duke, UVa, Hopkins, etc...

We couldn't draw 20,000 when we had the Gaits and went undefeated for almost 3 straight years.

And it's still friggin cold in April. May too.

We could easily get 4k more for lax games if there was an outdoor option. Without question. Having said that...i wouldn't have a problem with a roof similar to what Minnesota is getting with the glass roof.

SU is lucky to get 7,000 people for LAX games against Duke, UVa, Hopkins, etc...

We couldn't draw 20,000 when we had the Gaits and went undefeated for almost 3 straight years.

And it's still friggin cold in April. May too.

There have been crowds between 15 and 20 not so long ago.

It will be interesting how the Sunday games draw. I bet we get multiple 15K+ crowds this year.

How many people who don't currently attend SU games because the weather is nice, will show up just because the roof would be open? I don't think that number is very high at all.

Yes, a retractable roof would be insanely expensive, but the dividends it could pay in terms of exposure (and subsequently recruiting) cannot be measured.

Just as the Carrier Dome itself helped jump start football from the doldrums of a 10+ year slumber and take basketball to a truly elite level in the 1980s, putting a retractable room on our Dome Sweet Dome this decade (if feasible from an engineering standpoint) would benefit the University in so many ways.

With the Dome in 1980, we saw that the proverbial egg came first... And THEN the chicken (wins, national exposure, $$$, etc.).

And forgetting football and hoops for a second, if you think lacrosse is a big deal at SU now, wait 'til 20,000+ fans show up for a regular season Saturday afternoon game versus Duke, UNC or UVA under the warm April sun.

I just hope that the powers that be don't look at the initial cost of a retractable roof and deem it too expensive without looking at the long term reward of having the only on-campus retractable roof dome in America.

the dome gave basketball players the chance to play to football crowds

the retractable roof gives football players a chance to play outside and inside?

this has a bit of the underpants gnome feel to it

I respect your thoughts, but think a retractable roof for us is just an insanely outlandish idea.

I think the novelty of a retractable roof would wear off pretty quickly.

I do, however, agree that we could use a little cool factor boost. If they ever make an entirely new dome, I'm hoping the seating is some new kind of design unique to us. Make it so the seats can be slid in closer for basketball games. Similar to how Arizona's entire field is moved outside, on rails, to get sunlight.

We could easily get 4k more for lax games if there was an outdoor option. Without question. Having said that...i wouldn't have a problem with a roof similar to what Minnesota is getting with the glass roof.
That is my fall back position...

This is definitely in the works, despite what the Chancelor said, right after we build the Monorail:

monorail.jpg

Monorail3.jpg

Syracuse was actually supposed to get a monorail...i know im not the only person on this board that remembers the SCAT model by the shotclock memorial in Armory Square. SALT CITY AERIAL TRANSIT

In 2005, local millionaire Tom McDonald proposed an aerial tramway system, called Salt City Aerial Transit (S.C.A.T.), to link the university to the transportation center. The first segment from Syracuse University to downtown has been estimated to cost $5 million, which McDonald plans to raise himself. Due to the perceived low operating costs, the system could run continuously. As of late 2006, the project remains in the planning stage.

The retractable nature of the fixed roof is not the main expense of the fixed roof. The Vikings estimated it would cost $50M to make their roof a retractable one... out of a total cost of $975M budgeted for the stadium. Based on other stadiums and that one in Minnesota, it will cost SU at least $200M to add a fixed roof.. and so making it a retractable one would be $250M based on Minnesota estimates. Sure, that's a lot and 20% of the cost but the "insanely expensive" part is just changing the roof from air-supported to steel-supported. Compare that with just replacing the current "bubble" which is $10 - 15M.

With that said, the Vikings went away from retractable and if you believe what the Chancellor was quoted, the university will not consider a roof that is retractable.

Syracuse was actually supposed to get a monorail...i know im not the only person on this board that remembers the SCAT model by the shotclock memorial in Armory Square. SALT CITY AERIAL TRANSIT

In 2005, local millionaire Tom McDonald proposed an aerial tramway system, called Salt City Aerial Transit (S.C.A.T.), to link the university to the transportation center. The first segment from Syracuse University to downtown has been estimated to cost $5 million, which McDonald plans to raise himself. Due to the perceived low operating costs, the system could run continuously. As of late 2006, the project remains in the planning stage.
Sounds like SCAT was a good name for it.

Two years ago we drew 5,388 for UVa, and 6,292 for Hopkins.

I'd be shocked if we broke 10k.

All the games are on TV

$10 tickets
$15 parking.
What, and miss the dome foam?

Two years ago we drew 5,388 for UVa, and 6,292 for Hopkins.

I'd be shocked if we broke 10k.

All the games are on TV

$10 tickets
$15 parking.

And two years before that they got just over 14K each for UVA and ND.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom