You ever wonder what MCW would have looked like in College with a 3 point shot? | Syracusefan.com

You ever wonder what MCW would have looked like in College with a 3 point shot?

I don't think MG is very similar to MCW.

I do think that Boeheim should tell MG that the starting PG position is his next year in order to convince him to return.

I don't think MG is very similar to MCW.

I do think that Boeheim should tell MG that the starting PG position is his next year in order to convince him to return.
Considering the makeup of next year's roster which is forward and wing-heavy, I for one would like to see him get the lion's share of minutes at the point.

MCW's D at the top of the zone was unprecented. I seriously wonder if a 1-3 zone D with MCW at the top alone would be better than the 2-3 with Cooney and Joseph up top

I think a Rautins MCW top of the zone would have been the best we have ever seen! Plus Rautins would have been the perfect guard offensively to compliment MCW game when he was a soph. On a side note both of these guys played great defense being flanked by another excellent defender in Triche who while not being as long and rangy was as solid and stout as it gets and perhaps the best we ever had at being in the proper position and making the right rotation. MCW and Rautins could really gamble on the passing lanes because Triche could always be counted on to be in the correct spot to challenge the shooter or stop the drive should the ball get by them.

Gbinije in the last 10 games has practically been that when he plays the point

MCW was a better passer and much more creative with the ball, but there are similarities.

Considering the makeup of next year's roster which is forward and wing-heavy, I for one would like to see him get the lion's share of minutes at the point.
Exactly. Especially if McCullough comes back.

I like Joseph and believe he'll be improved next season but who else would come off the bench? And I don't think Roberson or McCullough should be playing center. Unless both Diagne and Obokoh are truly incapable.

Exactly. Especially if McCullough comes back.

I like Joseph and believe he'll be improved next season but who else would come off the bench? And I don't think Roberson or McCullough should be playing center. Unless both Diagne and Obokoh are truly incapable.
Joseph could certainly still be a useful player in a reserve role (or a starter who plays reserve minutes). Mal Richardson's gotta get some real minutes as he theoretically brings a lot of offense to the table, particularly as a 3 point threat. I like the potential of a lineup that includes Gbinije, Richardson and Cooney all on the floor together at the same time, with G playing a point forward type of role. Cooney may be able to take advantage of playing in a lineup that has another guy who could legitimately go off for like 5-6 3's in a game, he's never really had that up to this point in his career.

I think McCullough may be pressed into a little center duty for lack of better options, but I hope to see that limited to no more than 6-8 minutes per game.

MCW's D at the top of the zone was unprecented. I seriously wonder if a 1-3 zone D with MCW at the top alone would be better than the 2-3 with Cooney and Joseph up top

Hard to say, the 1-3-1 defense is a "trap the corners" defense, not a lot like SU's "defend the perimeter" style 2-3. The 1 at the top is always trapping and rarely gets to jump a passing lane, like MCW and AR were so good at - Wes J as well at the weak side forward. The real advantage to having MCW up there would be his finishing ability off t/o's.

MCW was a better passer and much more creative with the ball, but there are similarities.

Agree-What jumps out to me are the long arms, athletic ability, and excellent ballhandling ability at that size. Think he would be a monster at the top of the zone, too

Mal Richardson's gotta get some real minutes as he theoretically brings a lot of offense to the table, particularly as a 3 point threat.

Cooney may be able to take advantage of playing in a lineup that has another guy who could legitimately go off for like 5-6 3's in a game, he's never really had that up to this point in his career.
I don't follow recruiting like I once did but I thought the knock on Richardson was that he's not a great shooter. Is that wrong?

I don't follow recruiting like I once did but I thought the knock on Richardson was that he's not a great shooter. Is that wrong?

Completely that is his biggest strength and what he is known for.

Joseph could certainly still be a useful player in a reserve role (or a starter who plays reserve minutes). Mal Richardson's gotta get some real minutes as he theoretically brings a lot of offense to the table, particularly as a 3 point threat. I like the potential of a lineup that includes Gbinije, Richardson and Cooney all on the floor together at the same time, with G playing a point forward type of role. Cooney may be able to take advantage of playing in a lineup that has another guy who could legitimately go off for like 5-6 3's in a game, he's never really had that up to this point in his career.

I think McCullough may be pressed into a little center duty for lack of better options, but I hope to see that limited to no more than 6-8 minutes per game.

I think a lot is going to depend on how readily Richardson's game translates to the college level. This kid is a highly rated prospect / McD's all american, so it isn't unreasonable to think he'll be ready and productive as a frosh. But you never know. If he plays, then our backcourt gets much bigger atop the zone if he is in the game.

I think Gbinije needs to play the 3 defensively--he's rebounding the ball very well this year, and he'll be stronger than Richardson next year--while basically playing more like a lead guard on the opposite end of the floor.

Maybe its just me, but I really don't like the pairing of McCullough / Roberson as the forward tandem, because neither of them has a SFs game.

Also, a lot depends on Coleman / Thomas Bryant. Will Coleman recover and be able to play heavy minutes, or not? Is he a starter or a reserve? Does Bryant come here? If so, does he beat out Coleman at the 5?

And I wouldn't underestimate the expected sophomore jump I think we'll see from Joseph. Now, he won't have to shoulder the full lead guard responsbilities next year with Gbinije still here, but I expect his play to improve quite a bit.

I also really wish that we had a stud SF [other than Gbinije] on the roster--like BJ, if BJ could actually score / hit shots--because then we'd have some really intriguing lineup possibilities with Gbinije, Cooney, [insert SF here], and then any combination / pairing of bigs.

So lots of factors will impact Richardson's PT, let alone whether he starts.

I think a lot is going to depend on how readily Richardson's game translates to the college level. This kid is a highly rated prospect / McD's all american, so it isn't unreasonable to think he'll be ready and productive as a frosh. But you never know. If he plays, then our backcourt gets much bigger atop the zone if he is in the game.

I think Gbinije needs to play the 3 defensively--he's rebounding the ball very well this year, and he'll be stronger than Richardson next year--while basically playing more like a lead guard on the opposite end of the floor.

Maybe its just me, but I really don't like the pairing of McCullough / Roberson as the forward tandem, because neither of them has a SFs game.

Also, a lot depends on Coleman / Thomas Bryant. Will Coleman recover and be able to play heavy minutes, or not? Is he a starter or a reserve? Does Bryant come here? If so, does he beat out Coleman at the 5?

And I wouldn't underestimate the expected sophomore jump I think we'll see from Joseph. Now, he won't have to shoulder the full lead guard responsbilities next year with Gbinije still here, but I expect his play to improve quite a bit.

I also really wish that we had a stud SF [other than Gbinije] on the roster--like BJ, if BJ could actually score / hit shots--because then we'd have some really intriguing lineup possibilities with Gbinije, Cooney, [insert SF here], and then any combination / pairing of bigs.

So lots of factors will impact Richardson's PT, let alone whether he starts.

On Richardson, sure, nothing is ever guaranteed with freshmen. But he's the best recruit in the incoming class, the team needs him to deliver on the hype. In this case I am merely projecting that he will be worth the hype, not in an instant star fashion but as someone who is too good to keep off the floor for too long (and IMO end up being a better player than Joseph, not that I'm trying to knock him).

As for Roberson & McCullough, I agree completely that I worry about them co-existing at the forward spots. I think we'll see it to some degree nonetheless, but not as the most common forward pairing.

Center is totally a question mark for sure. Lots of unknowns and question marks. Which is why I speculated that McCullough may see a little time there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom