You get another year, and you get another year, you all get another | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

You get another year, and you get another year, you all get another

I agree we're probably out of the running for Sowers if he expects some money. I, too, get the gist of the article to mean there's no extra money and everything has to come out of the basic allotment.
I have to believe that we have some money after losing Fernandez, Kims, Donnelly, & Strang. Those 5 alone probably get close to 1 full scholly.

I have to believe that we have some money after losing Fernandez, Kims, Donnelly, & Strang. Those 5 alone probably get close to 1 full scholly.

Hoo's is talking about UVA not having extra money based on the article noting no additional money for 5th year guys for all UVA spring sports.

Ierlan’s return will come as a surprise to some given that Yale was part of a prior Ivy League affirmation that seniors should not withdraw and re-enroll for athletic reasons. Part of the methodology behind that decision is a longstanding "eight-semester rule" at Yale.

Sources tell IL that since Ierlan transferred from Albany after the 2018 season, that rule didn’t apply to him as he's only been on campus for four semesters. He recently completed the submission of the necessary paperwork.

Ierlan’s return will come as a surprise to some given that Yale was part of a prior Ivy League affirmation that seniors should not withdraw and re-enroll for athletic reasons. Part of the methodology behind that decision is a longstanding "eight-semester rule" at Yale.

Sources tell IL that since Ierlan transferred from Albany after the 2018 season, that rule didn’t apply to him as he's only been on campus for four semesters. He recently completed the submission of the necessary paperwork.

Well that's an interesting development.

I'm sure the Lizards are thrilled. :rolleyes:

Ya right, that GM has to be thinking "why the hell didn't you tell us this a few days ago". Interesting that Ierlan wants to return as Yale lost a decent amount to graduation/inability to return for a 5th year and while Shay has been recruiting really well, hard to see them not taking some sort of step back next year. Still waiting to see what Cornell is going to do, have to think something will be announced shortly.

I’ll be astounded If that comes to fruition. Also, Harvard and Princeton will have a field day.

In the PLL draft, players who return to college for a fifth year will be re-entered in next year's draft. In the MLL I beleive teams hold on to players draft rights. So if players are serious about playing in the PLL draft, I think they will have to make their intentions pretty clear, since no teams will draft a player they would lose to the draft next year. This is a long way of saying we should have much more clarity about who is playing a fifth year next year after the draft.

I think besides Costabile, only Ament has formally declared for the PLL draft? Not sure if Mellen has made it clear which league he prefers. Its only two rounds but I have trouble coming up with 14 players.

Jared Bernhardt not coming back to Maryland, will play football at Ferris State. The transfers of Brown and Holden make a bit more sense now.

Ya I figured this was coming, with him staying adding both of Brown and Holden made very little sense because the PT was simply not going to be there. Maryland was smart to get out in front of this but Bernhardt is still a major loss. I know he wanted to play football but seems a bit curious he goes form D1 lax with a team who can compete for a title to Ferris State to play one year of football.

Unfortunately Sowers, Gray and Moore are not switching to football. Will face those top three a minimum of six times and hopefully several times more.

Bernhardt's dodging capabilities were amongst the best but Maryland will still be loaded offensively with their returnees, transfers and highly ranked recruits.

Be interesting to see if Aiken follows through on his football interest. I tend to doubt.

Given its revenue generation, CFB will do everything possible to have a season but its not a given and fall ball is even less likely. Wouldn't be surprised if online learning continues through first half of next academic year.

Bernhardt does take a little of the edge off the Terps' offense. Still, you have 6 players returning who have started on the offense, with 3 All-Americans (Wisnauskas, A.DeMaio, and Fairman). Add in the 2 transfers, some other guys waiting their turn, and 3 top 20 attack recruits - so you get a pretty strong group.
Of course, the Terps return pretty much every regular on the other side of the field.

Unfortunately Sowers, Gray and Moore are not switching to football. Will face those top three a minimum of six times and hopefully several times more.

Bernhardt's dodging capabilities were amongst the best but Maryland will still be loaded offensively with their returnees, transfers and highly ranked recruits.

Be interesting to see if Aiken follows through on his football interest. I tend to doubt.

Given its revenue generation, CFB will do everything possible to have a season but its not a given and fall ball is even less likely. Wouldn't be surprised if online learning continues through first half of next academic year.

Moore is a really good player but I wouldn't put him in the same echelon as Sowers. Gray is close but again UNC didn't really play anyone last year so hard to know what you were getting when a top end defender took him on. As it stands right now I don't think Aiken has announced he is returning like Conners has. I believe the expectation is he won't be back.

Bernhardt is a massive loss for Maryland. They still have a very potent offense and the usual high end recruiting class but he was the alpha on that team and it wasn't even close.

Ya I figured this was coming, with him staying adding both of Brown and Holden made very little sense because the PT was simply not going to be there. Maryland was smart to get out in front of this but Bernhardt is still a major loss. I know he wanted to play football but seems a bit curious he goes form D1 lax with a team who can compete for a title to Ferris State to play one year of football.

His father, now deceased, was a football coach so maybe it was important for him to get that one year in. Not sure. But, sometimes when you get your mind set on something its hard to change. Wonder if he came back for an extra year of lacrosse he would have been able to play football the following year? But again that's a long time to be in college.

Will be interesting to see how teams bringing in a decent amount of transfers (Maryland, Duke, Denver) do in '21, as compared to teams that bring back a lot of their own players. With fall ball looking in doubt it seems like it would be a huge benefit to rely on players already in the program. Randy Staats I beleive came in to Syracuse as a Spring transfer so maybe it doesn't matter.

Bernhardt is a massive loss for Maryland. They still have a very potent offense and the usual high end recruiting class but he was the alpha on that team and it wasn't even close.

With there already being indications that Bernhardt might not return, I sort of view things in the opposite way, that is, if Bernhardt had decided to return it would be massive for the Terps. The Terps might have developed into a great team. The Terps should still be a top contender.

Team-wise, I sort of felt that getting senior starter Nick Grill back on the close defense was almost as important as getting Bernhardt back. Things looked a little thin on the close defense, whereas the Terps have a lot of offensive talent around.

Moore is a really good player but I wouldn't put him in the same echelon as Sowers. Gray is close but again UNC didn't really play anyone last year so hard to know what you were getting when a top end defender took him on. As it stands right now I don't think Aiken has announced he is returning like Conners has. I believe the expectation is he won't be back.

MJ, Lebron, Kobe?

Peking order for sure with Sowers on top but Moore is superb. Actually think he's somewhat overlooked and underrated because he joined names on UVA .
#1 ranked hs player in his class and certainly has not disappointed .Modest frosh year but still ACC frosh of year and torched us in ACC playoffs. Moves to attack which I initially thought was mistake n takes over their reins posting 43-46-89 , was following that up with 19-16 -35 in just six games. His speed and vision are some combo and he's just getting better and better, expect he'll be one of the Tewarrton finalists along with other two mentioned.

Per Lars Tiffany's monthly e-mail to alums and contributors, Dox Aitken will return to play lacrosse for UVa during the 2021 season.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom