You Got To Have a QB | Syracusefan.com

You Got To Have a QB

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
I heard an ESPN radio host observe that Charlie Strong got the Texas job because he had a QB - Teddy Bridgewater, and that Mack Brown lost the Texas job because he could never replace Colt McCoy.

So true.

I heard an ESPN radio host observe that Charlie Strong got the Texas job because he had a QB - Teddy Bridgewater, and that Mack Brown lost the Texas job because he could never replace Colt McCoy.

So true.

As we know with our past, that is true.

Well if the Hunt we got for the BC game is who we get consistently next year (or even better dare we hope...) We will be competitive in more ACC games next season. We probably still won't be competing with FSU and Clemson, but we sure shouldnt be blown out by the likes of Georgia Tech

Well if the Hunt we got for the BC game is who we get consistently next year (or even better dare we hope...) We will be competitive in more ACC games next season. We probably still won't be competing with FSU and Clemson, but we sure shouldnt be blown out by the likes of Georgia Tech

I don't think anything is guaranteed, but I am encouraged by Hunt's final three games. It suggests that he got better, and is a kid who can be a difference making QB, as opposed to a 5-12 79 ypg stop gap.

Kid really got better as the year went on.

So true.
Texas should be able to recruit an adequate quarterback. Texas defense was the problem and they got Greg Robinson. Go figure.

So true.
Preach Charlie!

I know Robinson was a poor head coach for us but it was widely acknowledged that he vastly improved Texas' defense after he took over about three or four games in.
Texas was pretty crappy when he took over and he was a disaster at Michigan

In fairness, he had to play Rich Rod's stupid 3-3-5 that he made Shafer play as well.

[qe="victor, post: 883983, member: 2695"]Texas should be able to recruit an adequate quarterback. Texas defense was the problem and they got Greg Robinson. Go figure.[/quote]

no.

The Problem Was QB.

Texas recruited a bunch of top QBs. It's a crap shoot, every team and every kid recruited.

I know Robinson was a poor head coach for us but it was widely acknowledged that he vastly improved Texas' defense after he took over about three or four games in.

correct. its easy to rag on GROB (and for good reason) but his DC job at texas was really good. really good.

pretty crappy when he took over and average at the end of the season is a pretty big upgrade. Grob did good work this year.

You are so right OPA and it's interesting when schools get the wrong type of qb for their system because he was rated highly or they just didn't do their job of evaluating correctly. Sometimes a coach just happens to get lucky as heck and one falls into his lap and looking at the NFL rosters you see many qb's that were not from the selector teams schools...heck OSU and PSU still haven't found a qb to put into the NFL that has had success in many many years.

The qb is extremely important when you don't have the proverbial 5 star talent around him. There are some schools that just need an efficient game manager that can put the ball into the playmakers hands and has a heck of an offensive line to help him. But with some, you need that extra talent from the qb to do the extra things when the talent surrounding him isn't of the highest quality.

Oh and to add...I believe Bridgwater fell into Strongs lap only when Miami got into a lot of trouble. May be wrong but that's what this old guys brain is telling him.

McNabb was that type of recruit for SU. He took a totally overmatched team, led them to a fantastic season, and made them semi competitive in the Orange bowl. At least that's how I remember it. SU is hoping to get lucky with one of the next batch of recruits that will elevate the entire team. That's why there is always so much interest in the QB recruiting.

Bridgewater decommitted from Miami after Randy Shannon was fired.

You are so right OPA and it's interesting when schools get the wrong type of qb for their system because he was rated highly or they just didn't do their job of evaluating correctly. Sometimes a coach just happens to get lucky as heck and one falls into his lap and looking at the NFL rosters you see many qb's that were not from the selector teams schools...heck OSU and PSU still haven't found a qb to put into the NFL that has had success in many many years.

The qb is extremely important when you don't have the proverbial 5 star talent around him. There are some schools that just need an efficient game manager that can put the ball into the playmakers hands and has a heck of an offensive line to help him. But with some, you need that extra talent from the qb to do the extra things when the talent surrounding him isn't of the highest quality.

Oh and to add...I believe Bridgwater fell into Strongs lap only when Miami got into a lot of trouble. May be wrong but that's what this old guys brain is telling him.

Regression to the mean. They ended up average. The law of averages says they were going to balance the early season terribleness irrespective of coach. Just saying...

Regression to the mean. They ended up average. The law of averages says they were going to balance the early season terribleness irrespective of coach. Just saying...

No.

Robinsion transformed the Texas defense.

Even at the end it was the offense that hurt the program - I am pretty sure the offense gave up a bunch of TDs.

Robinson did an undeniably good job this fall in Austin.

Bridgewater decommitted from Miami after Randy Shannon was fired.

Thanks SM, I thought he was going there but couldn't remember the circumstances since the Hurricanes usually have some sort of drama going on and I couldn't remember if it was a coach fired, probation, hookers and coke or cash given to the players on the sideline.

No.

Robinsion transformed the Texas defense.

Even at the end it was the offense that hurt the program - I am pretty sure the offense gave up a bunch of TDs.

Robinson did an undeniably good job this fall in Austin.
He was fine but it's just math. They weren't going to be that horrid with that much talent every game. The same reason we don't panic if a team hits their first few threes against us in basketball. It will revert to closer to the mean by the end. If a team like unc loses a ton of games to start the year, it will tend to balance to their talent level. It's just a statistical truism.

He was fine but it's just math. They weren't going to be that horrid with that much talent every game. The same reason we don't panic if a team hits their first few threes against us in basketball. It will revert to closer to the mean by the end. If a team like unc loses a ton of games to start the year, it will tend to balance to their talent level. It's just a statistical truism.

That's like saying that a D student in 9th grade will probably be a B- student by his senior year - because of reversion to the mean. By the same logic every team in college football should have a long-term track record of .500.

That's like saying that a D student in 9th grade will probably be a B- student by his senior year - because of reversion to the mean. By the same logic every team in college football should have a long-term track record of .500.
No, not at all. It's saying that a talented student with a track record of Bs who gets some Ds is likely to balance that with some high grades to net out at the B that defines their track record.

I agree with this for the most part but look at Auburn this year and Notre Dame last year. They got to the NC game with a decent not great quarterback in Golson and Marshall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom