You Never Know Where You’ll Meet a Player's Father... | Syracusefan.com

You Never Know Where You’ll Meet a Player's Father...

Faegan

All Conference
...We use a particular service at home a few times a year. (They have always done a great job, a national brand, and the guys that do the work have always been very professional and are actually fun/funny.) Like most households, my wife makes these decisions, and these qualities get them repeat business.

It's not always the same guys that show up, but I definitely recognize the crew that showed up this morning. They've been at our house probably 2 or 3 times before.

So they pull up today, and the lead gentleman does a double take when he looks at me, and says "what's the 'S' on your hat stand for?"

"Syracuse," I respond.

Turns out ...it's Tyler Roberson's Dad.

Truly an amazing guy. So willing to share everything about TR's recruitment, the camp culture for recruits, school, his experiences at games, and more. Seemed to me that he is very level headed in keeping priorities straight and protecting his son.

LOVES Hop.

Optimistic about the season... mentioned a few times that he likes the fact that our "young" guys are actually older than most people know.

To me, it was a "what a small world" moment. For him, maybe just bumping into another one of his son's admirers, but I'd never know it. What a gracious man. Only had a chance to speak with him for a short while, but I walked away with the impression that Tyler is very lucky to come from the home in which he was raised.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Did you ask him who the starting line-up will be?

Last edited:
mentioned a few times that he likes the fact that our "young" guys are actually older than most people know.
yeah, that's been a JB signature for several years now. Some of his freshman in recent classes have turned 20 before their first season ended. I think Ron Patterson becomes eligible for AARP before he's projected to graduate.

...We use a particular service at home a few times a year. (They have always done a great job, a national brand, and the guys that do the work have always been very professional and are actually fun/funny.) Like most households, my wife makes these decisions, and these qualities get them repeat business.

It's not always the same guys that show up, but I definitely recognize the crew that showed up this morning. They've been at our house probably 2 or 3 times before.

So they pull up today, and the lead gentleman does a double take when he looks at me, and says "what's the 'S' on your hat stand for?"

"Syracuse," I respond.

Turns out ...it's Tyler Roberson's Dad.

Truly an amazing guy. So willing to share everything about TR's recruitment, the camp culture for recruits, school, his experiences at games, and more. Seemed to me that he is very level headed in keeping priorities straight and protecting his son.

LOVES Hop.

Optimistic about the season... mentioned a few times that he likes the fact that our "young" guys are actually older than most people know.

To me, it was a "what a small world" moment. For him, maybe just bumping into another one of his son's admirers, but I'd never know it. What a gracious man. Only had a chance to speak with him for a short while, but I walked away with the impression that Tyler is very lucky to come from the home in which he was raised.

Great story, Faegan! Back in 1993 when I was back in college, I got pulled over driving on Route 80 near Parsippany, New Jersey. I was totally speeding--going at least 80, so the guy had me dead to rights.

Anyway, the state trooper who pulls me over takes one look at my license, sees that I'm from Syracuse, and asks me if I'm a Syracuse basketball fan. I respond that I'm a diehard fan, have season tickets, travel to see games on the road with my dad, etc.

He gave me a stern glance, informed me that he was Glenn Sekunda's uncle, told me to slow down, and to have a nice day.

100%, non-embellished true story.

Last edited:
I was watching JUCO wrestling nationals in Rochester Minn, several years back and wearing a Cuse hat. an older gentleman came and sat next to me and struck up a convo. said his son was in the finals. after a while he got around to asking about my cuse hat and I told him I was originally from NY and a huge fan. He mentioned that his other son was a RS sophmore on the football team. His name was Arthur Jones. his other son wrestling that day was Jon Jones. that was before any of them had blown up and it was pretty cool to sit and chat with him.

Weirdly enough, he said Ethan Cole would be starting at all five positions.

Sorry you are wrong...I have heard from an inside source that Billy Celuck is starting at the 5. Ethan Cole is manning the 1-4.

Sorry you are wrong...I have heard from an inside source that Billy Celuck is starting at the 5. Ethan Cole is manning the 1-4.
No no no, we were both wrong. Elvir Ovcina is running the point.

Weirdly enough, he said Ethan Cole would be starting at all five positions.

Let's assume that Boeheim initiated the cloning process after a couple practices in 1999 when Cole was sitting out after transferring (he would have immediately realized what had fallen into his lap). Let's further assume that JB had a minimum of 8 Ethan Cole clones ordered (5 for his starting lineup and 3 spares). They would have been born about July 2000 and have been raised in a secret underground tunnel system beneath Manley since then.

What I am saying is that we definitely won't have an all Ethan Cole starting lineup this year, but don't you find it strange that we aren't hearing a peep about any recruiting prospects for the 2018 class? There is a reason. And that reason is currently living under Manley Field House.

Let's assume that Boeheim initiated the cloning process after a couple practices in 1999 when Cole was sitting out after transferring (he would have immediately realized what had fallen into his lap). Let's further assume that JB had a minimum of 8 Ethan Cole clones ordered (5 for his starting lineup and 3 spares). They would have been born about July 2000 and have been raised in a secret underground tunnel system beneath Manley since then.

What I am saying is that we definitely won't have an all Ethan Cole starting lineup this year, but don't you find it strange that we aren't hearing a peep about any recruiting prospects for the 2018 class? There is a reason. And that reason is currently living under Manley Field House.

You should know by now that JB only needs 2 spares, not 3!

I'll be honest, I worked at the check in desk in Archbold Gym as my work study job at SU for a year. Ethan Cole came and worked out there.

I'm just saying, if we went with a 5 on 5 pull up contest, a team of Ethan Cole's would win us a national championship.

I'm sitting in the good seats years ago for a game. Got the seats from Coach Hop so I was sitting pretty. Late in the game we are up by one. The other team fouls Damone Brown and I sigh and saying something like "oh boy hope he makes one." Guy in front of me turns around and it's Damone's dad. I could tell instantly. A little embarrassed I responded by saying "He'll make em" Damone's dad said "call it like you see it dude." I don't remember if Damone made the shots but I do remember that we did win the game.

I'm sitting in the good seats years ago for a game. Got the seats from Coach Hop so I was sitting pretty. Late in the game we are up by one. The other team fouls Damone Brown and I sigh and saying something like "oh boy hope he makes one." Guy in front of me turns around and it's Damone's dad. I could tell instantly. A little embarrassed I responded by saying "He'll make em" Damone's dad said "call it like you see it dude." I don't remember if Damone made the shots but I do remember that we did win the game.
Sat behind James Southerland's Mother when we played Va Tech at MSG a few years back. She was awesome from what I can remember and actually thought my drunken comments were funny so she's A-Ok in my book.

I'd kind of like to see what Dave Siock could do on the wing. Maybe Craig Forth coming off the bench as our microwave.

Not Syracuse related, but at the Syracuse v. Georgetown game two seasons ago end of regular season game, I sat directly behind Otto Porter's family on Senior day. His family was extremely nice and even asked to take a few pictures with me donning heavy Orange gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom