Your Favorite Offensive and Defensive Cuse Player of All Time | Syracusefan.com

Your Favorite Offensive and Defensive Cuse Player of All Time

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
Offensively -

I was not really around to watch Donovan McNabb, in my time as a Syracuse fan I remember the players who generated the most excitement for me being our ground and pound tough as nails running backs. So I gotta say this is a tough call between Walter Reyes and Delone Carter. Because Walter Reyes literally embarrassed BC I will choose him. Shame he and Delone hadn't/haven't found much such success at the next level.

Defensively-

I've spent countless hours watching highlight reels, games and everything I could on Donovin Darius. Robert Washington could be our 44, Haskins/Brown our #5... hope we find ourselves a "Darius" as well. He seemed to command the middle of the field and absolutely punished anyone who dared encroach on his territory. He was an incredible athlete and one of the fiercest competitors the game has seen.

For defensive players of my time though, it has to be Cam Lynch. A 4 year player that didn't have the size to "wow" people but was still a weight room animal, a scholar and always seemed to be the guy around the ball and making the plays. Had a knack for putting a mean hit on the QB too.

Last edited:
Offensively -

I was not really around to watch Donovan McNabb, in my time as a Syracuse fan I remember the players who generated the most excitement for me being our ground and pound tough as nails running backs. So I gotta say this is a tough call between Walter Reyes and Delone Carter. Because Walter Reyes literally embarrassed BC I will choose him. Shame he and Delone hadn't/haven't found much such success at the next level.

Defensively-

I've spent countless hours watching highlight reels, games and everything I could on Donovan Darius. Robert Washington could be our 44, Haskins/Brown our #5... hope we find ourselves a "Darius" as well. He seemed to command the middle of the field and absolutely punished anyone who dared encroach on his territory. He was an incredible athlete and one of the fiercest competitors the game has seen.

For defensive players of my time though, it has to be Cam Lynch. A 4 year player that didn't have the size to "wow" people but was still a weight room animal, a scholar and always seemed to be the guy around the ball and making the plays. Had a knack for putting a mean hit on the QB too.

On offense, Joe Morris, Art Monk, Marvin Harrison, Chris Gedney, Marvin Graves, Don McPherson, Donovan McNabb, Daryl Johnston, Nassib, Lemon, Reyes and David Walker come to mind. If I had to pick, it would be a tie between Morris and Walker, I think.

On defense, probably Dan Conley, though Terry Wooden, Jim Collins, Ted Gregory, Tim Green, Donovin Darius and Dwight Freeney come very close. It is unfortunate how little Conley and Freeney ended up playing at Syracuse. When they were out there and healthy, it was pretty magical to watch them.

Offense - Donovan McNabb, by a wide margin

Defense - Tough call. I loved watching Darius and Tebucky Jones play together in the secondary. Loved Keith Bulluck as well. But I have to say...Dwight Freeney. Never saw a Syracuse defensive player who could change the entire game the way he could.

Of all time??? Ernie Davis/Jim Brown and Tim Green with Art Thoms/Joe Ehrman/Dwight Freeney close second.

O: Mungro/Reyes (my favorite RB tandem I've ever seen in person)
D: Smith/Hogue (these guys were battering rams in Shafer's defense)

Special mention O/D: Diamond Ferri

I never got to see McNabb live, I was away at school :(

Offense: McNabb, runner up is Graves.

Defense: Conley, runner up is Freeney. If Freeney had 4 healthy playing years, might have been him.

Honorable mention Offense: Qadry, Harrison, Shelby Hill, David Walker

Honorable mention Defense: Kevin Mitchell, Glen Young, Darius, Abrams

If we were just saying how they played against Notre Dame, I'd go with Walter Reyes and Art Jones, as each dominated them.

Limited time frame, but Alec Lemon's senior year was seriously special, and I'll go with Art Jones because he was an awesome guy and that Notre Dame performance was unbelievable.

On offense, I was considering Csonka and Daryl Johnston but then remembered Jim Nance. He was the biggest, baddest fullback ever and was never tackled for a loss in his college career so I have to go with him. Pretty good sportscaster too. :) On defense, Conley/Freeney. There are no losers there.
images

images

images

On offense, Don McPherson or Marvin Graves [honorable mention to Dee Brown, Malcolm Thomas, and Walter Reyes]

On defense, Dwight Freeney, Shamarko Thomas, or Kevin Abrams [honorable mention to Louis Gachelin, Tony Romano]

But in actuality, way too many to list.

Let's Go Orange!!!

Last edited:
Marvin Graves - followed by Walter Reyes junior season - wow.

Dan Conley - followed by Freeney.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom