Your Favorite Offensive and Defensive Cuse Player of All Time | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Your Favorite Offensive and Defensive Cuse Player of All Time

I have to go legend on O (even though I never got to see him play) with Ernie Davis #44. On D - I did get to see him play - Freeney. His performance vs Vick is seared into my memory right next to my wedding day and the birth of my kids.

I have to echo what has already been said with McNabb and Conley.

Little known fact, Rob Drummond has the 3rd highest avg. yards per carry for SU only behind Brown and Davis. That includes a sick 6.7 yards per carry as a Junior. Just a shout out to my JD classmate.

Tebucky Jones = Greatest. Name. Ever.

I would have to go with Kirby Dar Dar in the name department...the hands down winner there.

O - McNabb, obviously. If I had to pick a #2 I'd go with Marvin Harrison.
D - Conley. Hard to narrow down a runner up but the obvious choice is Freeney.

I have to echo what has already been said with McNabb and Conley.

Little known fact, Rob Drummond has the 3rd highest avg. yards per carry for SU only behind Brown and Davis. That includes a sick 6.7 yards per carry as a Junior. Just a shout out to my JD classmate.

Drummond was a great back. Fantastic player, and really cool guy.

Commenting just to ensure Marcus Paul's name makes it into this thread. Definitely a favorite of mine during my time on the hill. He hit very hard and picked a lot of balls.
TWO 44's! Now there's an idea!

McNabb and Freeney.

I can't believe so many of you didn't see McNabb play, and yet are big SU fans. Honestly if I didn't have the warm glow from the 90s I would barely pay attention to this program. You people are heroes. Or insane.

I'm starting to wonder if McNabb should be my least favorite. I mean, if it weren't for him, this traveling circus of QB performance since him might not be so disappointing.

I'm starting to wonder if McNabb should be my least favorite. I mean, if it weren't for him, this traveling circus of QB performance since him might not be so disappointing.
yes it would - the QB performance since he left would be disappointing no matter what you had seen - it's just been woeful even if it were compared to pedestrian QB play

O = Gedney was favorite - clutch receiver.
Also receiving votes - Graves, McNabb, Ismail, Harrison, Walker, McIntosh (shout out to Big Al Wooten) - Didn't see him play, but no mention of John Mackey? Only SU player I know of that has an award named after him. Changed the position.
D = Darius (he had it all, speed, skill, heart, power. He made Tebucky (converted RB) look better and off the field he was a really nice guy.
Also receiving votes - Mitchell (single handedly destroyed Pitt in '92), Bevel for his heart (Oklahoma) Conley (Miami '92 and just overall perseverance through injury) (shout out to James Spencer and Wilkie Bazille)

X = Ferri

I'll hate to go by decade and preface with the fact that my earliest recollection is mid 90s.

90s:
O- Kevin Johnson
D- Donovin Darius

00-10:
O- Delone Carter
D- Art Jones

11-present:
O- Alec Lemon
D- Shamarko Thomas w/ a shout out to Jay Bromley as well

I think Dan Conley would have been an NFL hall of fame LB if he had stayed healthy. When he was healthy at SU he was unreal.

He was the best defensive player I saw at SU bar none. Guy was all over the field on every play. The knee injuries really took a toll on him.

He was the best defensive player I saw at SU bar none. Guy was all over the field on every play. The knee injuries really took a toll on him.

totally agree. 30 years as a fan, he is the best I have seen too. Considering those 30 years contained Freeney, Green, Mitchell(RIP), Tebucky, Paul, Darius etc that says a lot.

I think Abrams is an under appreciated guy...was a fantastic lock down corner for us back in his day.

I started watching the team in the late 80's and he's the first "island" type corner I remember and the best that I've seen one on one since.

I still think had he redshirted, he had a very good shot at being a 3 time All American.

Last edited:
I started watching the team in the late 80's and he's the first "island" type corner I remember and the best that I've seen one on one since.

I still think had he redshirted, he had a very good shot at being a 3 time All American.
All 5'8" of him.

O: McNabb is such an easy choice as he was the QB in my early teen years. I keep trying to think of someone else but it always goes back to Dnabb. The day he was drafted by the Eagles was a sad day for me.
D: It has to be Donovan Darius...dude put legitimate fear into other teams WR's. He was such a badass.

Interesting - Two Donovans for me!

For a career I'll go with Donovan McNabb and Tim Green.

For a single game I'll go with Diamond Ferri and Diamond Ferri

O - Donovan McNabb - He was incredible at escaping pressure and making big plays.
D - Keith Bulluck - he was all over the field, making big plays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom