Your official post exhibition season thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Your official post exhibition season thread

Any thoughts or predictions, Ghost ?

I like everyone on the team - and I'm an eternal optimist so I give us a fighting chance against Lehigh. I'd have to see the defense against mildly capable offenses a few times to make a guess on this season. Offensively we're in some trouble.

I think we sacrificed stability and long-term viability to customize a roster for some of the departing players last year. That will always seem like a mistake to me, and one that's going to haunt us for a bit...unless the transfer market is kind in the next season or so.

This team reminds me of the type of team you see at St. Johns or Ga Tech during a rebuild - where you kinda think maybe they found something if everyone stays and gets stronger. But that never seems to work out for any of those type teams - so I'm worried! Maybe as we develop the lineup though some things click - Copeland, Mintz, etc...as they advance maybe they gel and we get the stability from Girard/Edwards/Sy!

So, all things considered, maybe 3rd in ACC, and E8????

If people thought things got ugly last year (here and locally). Its gonna look like Christmas compared to what's coming over the next 4-5 months. I hope JB and SU is ready because its gonna get ugly.

It's a tad early. I'm figuring we will know if things will be ugly 5 games in though. At that point we head back into the JB conversation.

Benny has upside. He and Mintz are going to have to each play around 20 minutes, at a minimum, or we are going to have a very hard time finding offense this season against the better teams. The other guys are good guys for the second unit, but maybe not athletic or mature enough to do it against conference opponents. At least, not yet. Maybe with 10 or 20 games under their belts ...
I’ve heard and seen probably 1,896 posts about his “upside” for the last 18 months, and I’ve yet to figure it all out. Not to be mean, but his shot is absolutely awful. Sy clearly worked on his all summer (kudos to him!)…..not sure what Benny was doing. He seems like a great kid, but someone clearly got his HS rankings wrong

Joe and Judah had terrible body language towards each other. Towards the end of the game Joe saw Judah wide open for a layup and refused to pass the ball and took an ugly drive to the hoop. Judah was not happy.

This might be a long season. Hoping not.

Joe and Judah had terrible body language towards each other. Towards the end of the game Joe saw Judah wide open for a layup and refused to pass the ball and took an ugly drive to the hoop. Judah was not happy.

Yeah that was clear as day. They looked like they were competing against each other more than playing side by side.

If Judah thinks he is going to boss Joe, his coaches are probably not going to back him on that.

My Wished For Guard Rotation:
Joe G. = 35 minutes
Judah = 20 minutes
Symir = 20 minutes
Copeland = 5 minutes

Forwards:
Benny = 25 minutes
Maliq = 20 minutes
Bell = 20 minutes
Taylor = 10 minutes
Copeland = 5 minutes

Center:
Jesse = 25 minutes
Mounir = 10 minutes
Peter Carey = 5 minutes

Yes, that's 11 guys, but probably 2 of them will sit out 10 or more games, leaving you with a mostly 9 man rotation - 3 guards, 4 forwards, 2 centers.

One of the forwards will begin to sit more often by ACC season, leaving you with 8 for the stretch run.
never gonna see it, a 6.5 man rotation at best

I’ve heard and seen probably 1,896 posts about his “upside” for the last 18 months, and I’ve yet to figure it all out. Not to be mean, but his shot is absolutely awful. Sy clearly worked on his all summer (kudos to him!)…..not sure what Benny was doing. He seems like a great kid, but someone clearly got his HS rankings wrong
He doesn’t know how to play. Athleticism doesn’t win games if you don’t know how to use it. Great kid, but he just doesn’t get it.

There was another play earlier in the second half where Joe was looking inside to Jesse and was trying to give him time to get position. Judah was jumping up and down at the top of the key for the ball reversal and was wide open. Joe ignored him and went elsewhere with the ball. Thought it was odd.

never gonna see it, a 6.5 man rotation at best

And who are those guys, Dinky? What 6.5 guys out of this group of 12 guys will be the only ones who play? I don't see that many guys who we even know are college players, at this point.

JB needs to keep his mouth shut and stop heaping praise on players before they have ever done anything at the college level. Saying this is his best freshman class ever is just irresponsible.

And who are those guys, Dinky? What 6.5 guys out of this group of 12 guys will be the only ones who play? I don't see that many guys who we even know are college players, at this point.
just going by past history, maybe JB changes after 47 years and expands the rotation. We'll know soon enough, I think well before the end of noncon

JB needs to keep his mouth shut and stop heaping praise on players before they have ever done anything at the college level. Saying this is his best freshman class ever is just irresponsible.
True but no coach is going to say anything bad about their team during preseason… just like no recruit will say anything bad about their visit.

I’d caution taking too much from the exhibition games. I’ve seen good teams look like crap in these games and bad teams look like world beaters. I specifically remember thinking Kaleb Joseph was going to be our next first round pick freshman year.

That being said I don’t like the lineups we are throwing out there. I think there’s a very good chance Justin Taylor is our best forward. He needs to play with the main guys to see how it fits.

Benny is a mess. If he doesn’t produce I can see Brown taking his minutes very quickly.

The guard rotation needs to get figured out. I remain high on Mintz, but he needs to grow. The talent is there for him.

Last edited:
True but no coach is going to say anything bad about their team during preseason… just like no recruit will say anything bad about their visit.
He doesn’t need to say anything bad. Have some restraint and not make any promises.

Right now this seems to be problem number one to me. No chemistry between Judah and Joe. Both trying to do it all by themself. Hard to evaluate the other 3 players on the floor when neither Joe or Judah will distribute the ball. Maybe let them sit and watch while Symir and Copeland work out front. Extremely poor performance over last 25 minutes or so.

Benny Williams seems like our Darius Miles. Incredible athlete with very little feel for the game.
Darius Miles was becoming a pretty awesome player before a devastating injury, Benny has been never been better than bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom